The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tribute Kalm Ultra vs. Purina Ultium

Does anyone feed these??? What do you think of them??? I need a higher fat food for my Appendix OH.

I have been feeding the Kalm Ultra for a couple of months and have been very happy so far. My TBs are filling out better because they like it and will eat more of it, compared to TC Senior.
    The other thing I like is that my powdered supplements stick to the molasses/oil coating well, and the price is very good for the product. It is very well fortified, and I believe all of their feeds are made at one mill, which helps with QC.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you know if the Kalm Ultra works for hard keepers?

That's basically what is designed for and that's what I use it for.
    *CrowneDragon*

I discovered the Tribute feeds ~6 weeks ago. I'd recommend them to anyone. Great quality, reasonable prices, top notch ingredients.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Kalm Ultra and Ultium are pretty similar, nutritient-wise. I like both of them for hard keepers.
    Click here before you buy.

Read the ingredients. Does Tribute list the individual ingredients?

Purina feeds are proprietary formulas that may list one filler ingredient or not even that, the list is all about percentages...12% protein, 20% fat and so on, but we never know what is actually in it as far as ingredients. My prior horse got pretty hot on Purina strategy .

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post
    Yes.
    *CrowneDragon*

I happened to forget my grain over the weekend for a horse show and had to "borrow" from my friend. She feeds Kalm Ultra and I feed Ultium. My horse had no trouble eating the Kalm Ultra. Comparing the two, Kalm Ultra appears to be a softer texture and more uniform size with a "slicker" look to the pellet. I'm going to compare the nutrient info as best I can but I'm thinking about switching especially since it slightly less expensive than the Ultium and I wouldn't have to drive to Timbuktu to find it!
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Nutrient information is different from ingredient information.

Both brands will list the percentage of nutrients (10% protein etc), however, Purina, expect for listing beet pulp or main filler ingredient, does not disclose the actual ingredient that go into the protein or fat. Is it corn or soy in there? Who knows? That started to bother me after awhile , though my horse looked nice and glossy on the Purina feed, he was more "hot", and who knows what ingredient he was reacting to.

Tribute is a higher quality feed than Purina. I am not Tribute's biggest fan, but I'd choose it over Purina any day!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Countrywood View Post

Purina feeds are proprietary formulas that may list one filler ingredient or not even that, the list is all about percentages...12% protein, 20% fat and so on, but we never know what is actually in it as far as ingredients. My prior horse got pretty hot on Purina strategy .
    Purina Strategy is a completely different story than Ultium! Strategy is basically a lower end feed for Purina, has high NSC and as you mentioned is not fixed formula.

Ultium however, is fixed formula, you can find their ingredients on their website and only has an NSC of 16% versus the 28% of Strategy.

The main ingredients of Ultium vs Kalm Ultra appear pretty close. Main differences being Kalm Ultra doesn't have alfalfa meal while Ultium does. And Ultium has a good deal of rice bran, while Kalm Ultra does not. The Kalm Ultra also has pre/pro biotics. Purina does not put those in their feeds because they state they have not shown in scientific studies to be of benefit.

Does anyone know what the NSC of Kalm Ultra is? I'm not able to find it on their website.

OP - since they are pretty similar feeds, I would tend to go with price & ease of feed store availability, personally.

Email Dan Burke at Tribute for the NSC if you can't find it. He has always been very quick to answer my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    Does anyone know what the NSC of Kalm Ultra is? I'm not able to find it on their website.
    26%
    *CrowneDragon*

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    26%
    thanks!

I've had some other people tell me that it might not be the feed, he might have an ulcer or need his teeth checked. But his teeth were just done in February, and his performance and attitude hasn't changed and neither has his appetite. Or that I should put him on a good quality senior feed before I try the Kalm Ultra or Ultium....what do you think???
    I personally think that the Kalm n EZ doesn't work for him because it is a "low-starch" feed and he burns a lot of fats even when he is just in the field because he will run around more than eat. I don't think he has a problem.

My hard working, sorta hard keeper of an Arab is on Kalm Ultra. In the summer he does endurance and in the winter he foxhunts. He does very well on it.

Kalm n EZ isn't enough calories for him, but my friend's Appendix QH does well on it. Another friend's mare is on the Essential K ration balancer because she is such an air fern.

Something I really like about the Tribute products is that the formula is fixed, unlike Purina. Tribute's formula is what it is no matter what the price of ingredients is. That means you'll pay something slightly different (it bounces around $1 or less) each time you buy feed, BUT the horse is getting the same thing. Purina does the opposite. The price is fixed, but the formula changes each time. Corn is cheaper this time? So there's more corn. Or soybeans, or whatever. You're never QUITE sure what you're feeding.

I don't have any experience with Kalm Ultra, but I started my hard keeper on Ultium as part of his daily grain ration this spring. I was reluctant to try Purina after reading the not-so-great comments about it, but I'm quite happy with it. It really helped to take my horse's weight from slightly ribby to just right.

He was on Triple Crown Senior for almost a year (about 8 lbs per day, plus free-choice hay and seasonal pasture), but he never gained that last bit of weight on it, and he does not really like the taste. Now, he gets fed part Ultium (about 1lb twice a day) and part senior feed (about 2.5lbs twice a day). This helps with the palatability issues.

The Ultium has not made him hot, he likes the taste, his weight is perfect, and I can feed him a little less grain each day. Two thumbs up from me and my hard keeper

Here's his weight now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockand...es/8861710061/
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I like ultium, but i had it make several horses in my barn hot, when you fed it to the level it needed to be...currently using Triple Crown Senior or Complete, ration balancer and fat dressing.