The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default poison hemlock - eradicating

There's an area at my boarding barn that the BO and BM are talking about fencing off into a 2 acre paddock where I could put my yearling (currently safe at the breeder's)

Unfortunately it's full of poison hemlock! A few weeks back it was mowed down, but is springing up again and the BO/BM don't have time to do the job properly (mow, disk, reseed.) I went out to try and hand pull it but that's a lot of work (and you have to wear gloves - nasty stuff)

If I weed whack it down a couple times over summer, do you think it'll give up? Can't spray - area is next to a pond with endangered species in it.

Another idea is to dump horse stall manure/pellets over the area thickly, to smother it, then disk it all in before the rains next winter and see what sprouts in spring (we get no rain from now will October.)

Alternately, I'll just do 30 mins/day all summer and hope that works...
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Manure will run off into the pond and create an algal bloom - rich in nitrogen and that will deplete the pond water oxygen. So don't do that one!

Go online and look for your local ag extension office. They know what works best in your area for eradication of invasive / toxic plants. Lots of ag land owners are in your same shoes! There are herbicide cleared for aquatic / sensitive areas - that might work. But the time of year and temp, etc to get the best results will be key in saving you effort and not waste your time! Or money.

Also, your local farm store (that sells seed, etc) will know about how to deal with weeds. They are a wealth of info - just be sure to find the right staffer.

You want to be VERY careful using weed killers that are near water. Spray may drift onto water, so you kill off the good vegetation, then may spread on downstream.

But spraying is probably the best eradication method, just expect it to take 14 days to show wilting. You may need to spray again for new sprouting of Hemlock.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    You want to be VERY careful using weed killers that are near water. Spray may drift onto water, so you kill off the good vegetation, then may spread on downstream.

But spraying is probably the best eradication method, just expect it to take 14 days to show wilting. You may need to spray again for new sprouting of Hemlock.
    Exactly - there are only a few herbicides cleared for near-aquatic use. And they may not work on poison hemlock at all.

Where you are can really change how you manage an invasive, here is the USDA website:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r3...318&width=full

Yeah there were horses next to that pond for many years and I don't know what the effect of no horses has been the last 3-4. There is a good sized berm between the paddock and the pond which may help with runoff.

Spraying is a no go - the BO dislikes chemicals of any kind. Looks lick mechanical means are the way to go according to online searches. I see a rented weed whacker in my future...

When dry, P.H. Is more palatable and of interest to horses. Our vet told me to rake all of the cut stuff up if we mowed it down. He had a case where several horses died after eating wilted P.H. Cannot remember if it had been cut or sprayed....but they ate it after the it was treated to eradicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    Yeah there were horses next to that pond for many years and I don't know what the effect of no horses has been the last 3-4. There is a good sized berm between the paddock and the pond which may help with runoff.

Spraying is a no go - the BO dislikes chemicals of any kind. Looks lick mechanical means are the way to go according to online searches. I see a rented weed whacker in my future...
    Instead of renting you may want to keep an eye out for a used one on Craigslist. By the time you pay the rental fee a few times over the summer you probably can buy a decent used one.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Great idea! I'll start scouring craigslist