The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Animals Choosing 'Their' People...

I've noticed after having animals my whole life, they each seem to choose 'their' person in the house. Right now we're pretty divided.. our JRT and orange tom prefer me, while the hound and tuxedo female kitten prefer DH. I'm home with them all day and good enough to do the feeding, playing with, walking, and rear end scratches, but when DH walks in the door, all bets are off with the hound. The JRT will totally blow him off, but I can say 'down' and she'll drop. One sleeps on my side of the bed, the other sleeps on his. When it's kitty nap time, they find their designated person and settle in for a snooze. If DH isn't home, the tuxedo will sleep on an empty couch.

I just wondered why it is they choose a person to be 'theirs'? It's interesting to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My house too. The cocker and the collie are "mine". The lab loves everyone, but especially my daughter (although she's now completely moved out and he's a very sad boy.) The fox hound is my husband's 100%.

There's a very weird collie rescue out there (not the one I volunteered with, they have their own issues) that lets the dog choose the adopter.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Golden girl is mrb's, the lab adores whoever has an unoccupied free hand (or if she deems you improperly occupied, say working on an email when you should be petting a Labrador), the female poodle schnauzer is all mine, the male aussie is pretty split, the male poodle mix ain't nobody's PET grumble grumble! And the weimaraner is all into free love, baby. So it's pretty much split between mrb and myself, though I have noticed I'll get the aussie back more on my side pretty easily if I've been doing the dog chores (mainly feeding). Practicing tricks is another way to win more spontaneous affection from him and the golden.

My parents have a golden doodle and a boxer doodle. The golden is totally my dad's shadow, while the boxer loves on my mom more.

I've noticed it a lot with foster dogs, particularly small dogs. They seem to overwhelmingly love mrb and regard me as a mediocre waitress at best. Then again, the poodley ones aren't all that way and those are the types of dog I really like, so it could be a chicken and egg thing. (I act more lovey towards the scruffy fluffies and they're responding to that, while the chi mixes pick up on my personal reservation/lowered interest in them...)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Our sheltie is the first animal we ever had in our 24 years of marriage that chose my husband as his person. He was always nice to the animals but never really bonded with any of them, but when this sheltie chose him all bets were off! They spoon on the couch and gaze lovingly at each other. He greets the dog with "How's my baby boy?" It is hilarious to see him getting all mushy over a dog! I have even caught him spooning with one of the cats a few times so maybe the sheltie brought him out of his shell.

1 members found this post helpful.

Animals choose their peeps thats for sure. Its hard for us (the peeps) not to love them back, when they just love you soooo much. The weird thing is I have run into people that just dont get it, that this cat is mine that dog is his, etc. They actually say they belong to both of you. I am like, yeah well the dog sure dont feel that way.

DH gifted me a beautiful Silver Dapple mini dachshund for my 50th birthday. Other than sleep time, she is his dog 100%! Now, she loves me when he isn't around but if it's a choice of me or him...there isn't even a discussion, it's dad all the way. The barn dogs adore me, our other dachshund loves everyone and I do have a cat who believes I am the only human who exists but it just irks me a bit that MY dog chose him...lol!

I have been in awkward situations where the critters of the barn owner/trainers liked me better than their owners, oops!

Doesn't make for good working conditions, so I learned to ignore them, to discourage them, but it sure is hard when they follow me around and choose to sit on my feet with the owner sitting close by.

I have good feeling that once my dog meets my boyfriend that he is going to ditch me as his person and pick him. I think he is more of a man's dog. Its funny because he hates other male dogs, but love human males. My stepdad was here for thanksgiving and he wouldn't leave him alone. Maybe he was just happy to have another male in the house and not just females all the time. I am in vet school, so all he sees are females.

The cats are funny. All 3 are living with the boyfriend right now. Moon is definitely mine as is my oldest Enzo, but when I brought Remi home she definitely chose my BF as hers. She likes me well enough, but is much more tame with him. Moon is a mommy's girl, but does love her Daddy as well. They have been all living with Daddy for the past 2 years, so when I do get to visit, they are happy to see me, but I would say Moon is the most glued to me. He tells me she just looks happier when I am in town and she never has that face when I am not.

Nala, my horse, loves me now, but has always loved my BF. I took me 2 year to gain her trust and I swear she trusted him the day she met him. Noah is definitely all mine. Although after he hadn't seen my BF in 6 months, he was so happy to see him! It was so cute.

The fact that all my animals love my BF makes me love him even more! I fully believe in that if you animals don't like someone its for a good reason!

My greyhound was MY dog, heart and soul. The second greyhound was my husband's by default.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Love all these stories!

Growing up, it seemed like all our pets picked my Mom as there person, until we got a kitten and I got to name her Dot. She still will come down from upstairs for some scritchin' when she hears me walk into their house.

I always figured it was because Mom was the one in charge of feeding/playing/training/etc that they choose her. Now that I have a house of my own, I'm not so sure. It's funny how their personalities kind of dictate who they 'pick'. The JRT for instance, likes to have boundaries, I think because I'm the one that set them and enforce her routine, she is happier than with DH, who is more fly by the seat of his pants, like the hound. It's just kind of fascinating!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I went to the humane society to look at a dog...I can't resist the kitty section so I walked up to a cage full of kittens and directly across from the most adorable kittens in the world was a ....big...gray...adult cat....who reached out of the bars of his cage and grabbed me. We have been hugging each other ever since...I think he is sleeping on my pillow right now. Never did look at that dog.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think i have a knack for attracting animals , miloe is mine, moksha mine too but will love everyone, meeko is my mothers, jingles likes my sister but is warming to me, i mean who else will have 2am chats while in the bathroom with him? Then cuddle half a hour!

Horse wise, i end with not popular ones but when we bond its strong like one he stopped weaving after he met me! Or the ones you would label as probably not suitable for me to ride.

My coach's up and coming gp horse is my bud, he's always super gentle with me, holds his feet up for me, and likes me to scritch his belly.

Got cuddles from a horse who doesnt normally do that

Whole barns nicker at me! And one mare i swear she thinks im her foal and tries to take care of me and help me do things lol
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Our household was pretty much the same. DH and my first dog Bocephus, a male Australian Shepherd, chose me. He was always by my side and would literally crawl over people to get to me. He was the ring bearer in our wedding and when you look back at the pics you can actually see him watching me go down the aisle and he whimpered just a little through our vows because he couldn't run up to us until it was time for the rings. He passed away 4 weeks ago in a freak and horrible accident and losing him has been devastating. I find myself getting depressed/sad/jealous because DH has "his" dog still and mine is gone.

Our second dog Pumpkin, an Aussie/Heeler cross, really attached to DH because I think she realized I was taken. She didn't really chose DH for awhile though because as a puppy she was a holy terror and did her best to show all humans who was in charge. She majorly mellowed out around 6 months of age and decided she was head over heels for DH.

Our other two dogs are pretty much free love for all, but DH and I suspect that our female Aussie loves him more and the male Doberman loves me more. Our ancient Beagle pretty much hates everyone equally and is just an senile old man
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

All four of our cats are MINE (two preceeded husband) but if Daddy's home Bubba wants IN HIS LAP. Although he otherwise follows me around like a dog and sleeps with me.

Interestingly (gruesome story but we DID survive) a long time ago my cat absolutely hated my boyfriend. That should have told me something right there. One time he tried to keep her on his lap and she peed on him. A week or so later he beat the crap out of both of us. She spent weeks at the vets but ended up OK.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!