The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Google Reader is going away- what RSS feed reader do/will you use instead?

I love google reader. It lets me see everything that's new on most of my favorite sites & blogs all in one place instead of checking each individually. However, I guess not enough people love it: as of July, google is eliminating google reader. What do/will you use instead of google reader as a news aggregator/RSS feed reader? I tried one other & found it very cluttered & cumbersome to navigate. Most of the time I'm on my phone (iPhone), so I want something that has a good mobile version. Any suggestions? Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

I am so disappointed about Google Reader (and iGoogle too!). I've been using Feedly on my iPhone. It took awhile to get used to it, but it is ok. I played with lots of settings, till I found something I liked. I figured I'd switch now so I could play around a bit. I'm a bit worried because Feedly is still using the Reader RSS, they have supposedly developed their own and will switch over when Google switches off. Hope it works! (At least that's what I read a few weeks ago, it could have changed).
    "Do your best, and leave the rest, twill all come right, some day or night" -Black Beauty

http://trails-and-trials-with-major.blogspot.com/

I too mourn the loss of Google Reader.

I tried Feedly and can give it 2 thumbs up. I'd rather keep Reader but Feedly is an acceptable 2nd.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

My techie DH loves Google Reader because it's a website and thus accessible from any device. The alternatives are APPs or browser Plug-ins that must be set up on each device you use. So the alternatives are PITAs. So far, DH has not found an equivalent replacement. Not even ones that you pay to use - those still aren't as solid as the Google Reader. Not good. DH is in mourning.

So sad. I don't know why google reader wasn't more popular! I'll try Feedly. Thanks for the suggestion! Is it web based or does it also have to be put on every device? I think the one I tried before was Netvibes or something. I didn't like it, at least for my phone. I didn't try it on a computer.

I've already switched everything over to NetNewsWire which I already had installed, probably from a long-ago MacHeist bundle as I don't remember buying it separately. It's a Mac 'desktop' app, not web based.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

feedly.

I too was really bummed about the end of Google Reader. I tried The Old Reader first, but didn't like it. Tried Feedly next and after getting used to it and playing around with the settings, it will do.

I've switched to Feedly and I think it will be fine once I get used to it.

NetVibes is AWESOME!

It allows you to set up categories (ie, Horses, Horse Blogs that Used to Update , Parenting, Money, Home, Recipes, etc.). I have the blogs I must read every day on the first tab called MUST READ.

Plus, most blogs already have the NetVibes button in their RSS feed list.

Once I took a couple of hours to set it up, I have never missed Google Reader. Try it - you won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by 2horseygirls View Post
    NetVibes is AWESOME!

It allows you to set up categories (ie, Horses, Horse Blogs that Used to Update , Parenting, Money, Home, Recipes, etc.). I have the blogs I must read every day on the first tab called MUST READ.

Plus, most blogs already have the NetVibes button in their RSS feed list.

Once I took a couple of hours to set it up, I have never missed Google Reader. Try it - you won't be disappointed!
    Does Netvibes have a mobile version? Do you like that too?

Grrrr - I am really going to miss Google Reader. I've set up Feedly, but don't much like the iPad app, where I read most of my feed. I use an app there now, called Mr. Reeder, but I don't know whether/what will happen to that once Google Reader isn't there, as it seems to just take the feeds aggregated by Google and make them easier to go through.

I can't make the Feedly app give me the oldest posts first -- maybe I'm missing something? In any event, I am really sorry they decided to discontinue it! I also can't run the Feedly Chrome extension on my work computer, so that is a bummer as well. Sigh.

I guess the time is growing short and a replacement must be found . . .

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Vagabondrider, I only have a Blackberry, so I don't do a lot of mobile things on it. I don't use the NetVibes mobile app, but if you Google 'NetVibes + mobile', you'll probably get more info than you want

So sad. Today is the last day! I've been completely in denial & haven't switched yet...I guess that will have to change tomorrow!

I've been putting it off too. Finally switched this weekend. I'm using Bloglovin right now and I think I like it the best out of the ones I've tested (hate the name though...) if you still haven't settled on a new reader you might want to run Google Takeout to make sure you have all your files saved so you can easily import them into your new reader tomorrow
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Quote Originally Posted by Lone View Post
    I've been putting it off too. Finally switched this weekend. I'm using Bloglovin right now and I think I like it the best out of the ones I've tested (hate the name though...) if you still haven't settled on a new reader you might want to run Google Takeout to make sure you have all your files saved so you can easily import them into your new reader tomorrow
    I did run Google Takeout but haven't done anything with it. I'll have to check out bloglovin in addition to the others. Thanks!