The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The I hate my job thread

I'm sorry, but this is whine thread...

I never really liked my job much. But, times are though, you gotta deal with it, and all that. But lately, I feel like I'm getting slapped in the face constantly. First, I get denied a raised, after it had been promise for months. Then I find out that after working 10 years in the d@mn place, I still didn't make it to the list of those who will have a permanent contract (I was placed 38th and there were 20 job openings) I'm pretty sure some of the people who got placed can't 38th. And to top it off, I'm not only have to work parcially in a place that i detest and is much further from my residence.

I know there are people doing worse, some can't even get a job but, seriously, can't i catch a d@mn break?

\end whine with cheese and crackers
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

You've been working there for 10 years and don't have a permanent contract??? I can't believe that's legal.

I'm a manager who does not get paid overtime. About a year ago, Manager A's job was eliminated. They gave me all her work, and had Staffers B and C report to me. Then B left, and we were not allowed to replace her. Then C left and we were allowed (grudgingly) to replace her with a 20 hour/week part-time person. So that's 100 hours of work per week that moved to me, and I already had a 40 hour/week job. In all fairness, upper management made some efforts to eliminate some of the work, but the work that still needs to be done does not fit into my workweek, even with a lot of overtime.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I'm a manager who does not get paid overtime. About a year ago, Manager A's job was eliminated. They gave me all her work, and had Staffers B and C report to me. Then B left, and we were not allowed to replace her. Then C left and we were allowed (grudgingly) to replace her with a 20 hour/week part-time person. So that's 100 hours of work per week that moved to me, and I already had a 40 hour/week job. In all fairness, upper management made some efforts to eliminate some of the work, but the work that still needs to be done does not fit into my workweek, even with a lot of overtime.
    Welcome to corporate America and American "competitiveness" where we are all expected to do more and more work for less in order that our companies can answer to Wall St. Seems unsustainable to me...

5 members found this post helpful.

Not so much my job, but my boss. Good person, TERRIBLE BOSS and ZERO people/communication skills. The communication skills are in part because she is socially awkward and part because the more information only she knows about the more secure and important she feels her job is. The invasion of personal space is just inappropriate. Fortunately digging through my desk drawers has stopped, but only after I directly approached her about it.

I had 2 days off last week for a long weekend and she went into my office and checked my phone. I get an email that says, I noticed you have voicemails, what is your password so I can check them for you? WHO DOES THAT ?

For the past 8 months I have been told to "sit tight" "things are in the works" "things are going to change" "there is another internal position that will fit your skill set better". Notice I decided not to hold my breath.

I recently found out we are expecting and I already told my husband that if something doesnt change ( and that means drastically) I will quit after maternity leave.

Knowing that I have that option at this point is the only thing keeping me sane.

Misery loves company. I feel for those of you who dont have any other options. (Although me quitting my job is very much just me spewing. I really dont think I would ever quit).

I'm sorry for y'all that don't like your jobs. For 17 years, I have loved my job (except for the commute - hate that!). My company got bought and things are changing. I was really worried that I was going to be laid off since a bunch of my users were let go; however, my boss fixed it so that I and my coworker (and SO) are getting moved to another department. Whew! I hope that I'm going to love that department as much as I loved my old/current one. I do know I like my new manager. I've known him for years. I don't know how he is to work for, but he's a great guy otherwise.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I absolutely adore my job. But I have worked jobs that I hated before.

Being in a bad job is poisonous. I know its' hard to do, but you need to get out of it before it sucks the life out of you completely.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I work in the government job that has the lowest job satisfaction rates of ANY federal position.
    I frequently feel the urge to poke myself in the eye with a sharpened pencil, just so that I can go home. I am over worked, under appreciated, and have to live with the stereotype that government workers are lazy and useless.
    I have a great degree from a competitive college and I work 9 hours a day non-stop (with the exception of the random COTH sanity break) doing things I hate to do. i work HARD.
    Now, we are facing furloughs, so I will hate my job AND make 20% less each paycheck. Isn't it enough that I make 76% of what my private sector counterparts make? Why isn't CONGRESS taking a pay cut, or giving up their pension?

4 members found this post helpful.

Pinkpony- I know several that are in your position. I have heard that if you milk the low morale ( and depending on what you do) you can get additional tele-commute days and extra gym time

I know it doesnt help with the compensation aspect though.

SuperAlter- I do work out on my lunch breaks and no one questions if I am 10/15 minutes late getting back, because they know I am out for a run or at the gym. Honestly, that's the ONLY part of my job that keeps me sane and that I like. My freaking lunch break.
    Anyway, I hate to sound like such a crybaby, but when you spend 40+ hours a week in your own personal hell, it can get to you
    I am glad someone started this thread. It feels good to vent!

I have months where I hate my job. Last year was very hard for me.

This year seems to be going okay, but I have to say I just don't really enjoy what I do. It pays extremely well, which is nice, but it's just not that interesting.

I'll join, my work days vary from tolerable grind to unbearable hell. To my friends I describe myself as a high priced prostitute - I get paid very well to do things I don't want to do for people I don't want to be with.

But for various reasons I'm determined to stick it out for 3-4 more years. If I didn't have that light at the end of the tunnel, I'd be considering borrowing that pencil to the eyeball method often! (thanks for that chuckle!)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    I'll join, my work days vary from tolerable grind to unbearable hell. To my friends I describe myself as a high priced prostitute - I get paid very well to do things I don't want to do for people I don't want to be with.

But for various reasons I'm determined to stick it out for 3-4 more years. If I didn't have that light at the end of the tunnel, I'd be considering borrowing that pencil to the eyeball method often! (thanks for that chuckle!)
    A perfect description. Add in the general guilt that I make a lot, and get large raises year over year, but still really don't care for what I do...

Ok- This thread is only for people that are underpaid and underapprecited/valued AND hate their job.

I could manage if I got paid enough to actually live instead of hating my job and getting a 1% increase this year. On top of my already astounding, mind blowing lousy salary.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAlter View Post
    Ok- This thread is only for people that are underpaid and underapprecited/valued AND hate their job.

I could manage if I got paid enough to actually live instead of hating my job and getting a 1% increase this year. On top of my already astounding, mind blowing lousy salary.
    Well, compared to what I bring in for the company, and what my boss/compatriots make, I'm woefully underpaid.

But to a 25 year old, it feels like a lot of money, though most of it gets shipped right back to the student loan company.

I'll play. I work for a quasi-federal agency and I used to really care about my job which is in a tiny division focused on low-income people. Busted my butt for 7 years, tried to find ways to make the work connect to low-income people vs. banks, increase transparency, empower staff, bla, bla, bla. Finally got so disgusted and frustrated with the absolute self-serving bureaucracy that is so blatantly disingenuous (the big cheese drives a S-class Mercedes but we work on behalf of poor folk?) and delusional about their value, that I quit.

Spent 6 months sending out resume after resume and networking (barfo) and got exactly one offer for a temporary position. I went back to my old job with my tail between my legs and was lucky enough that they needed me back (for a project that I had argued over and over again was a complete and total waste of time and money). One year later, I am proudly managing said project, doing exactly what they want - essentially nothing more than to make my chain of command look good with no other discernible outcomes . They are happy as clams with my work and I feel like a total failure for being stuck there.

On the upside, I make pretty good money and have much better work/life balance than when I *cared*. I tell myself every day - I have a job and a paycheck which is a lot more than some people. Still, it grates on my self-worth, which I guess really is a first-world problem.

When you hate your job, your health suffers.
    I was making an excellent salary, but I got a new boss who made my life miserable. My health was going down hill fast.

I quit without notice. Best thing I have ever done for myself. It forced me to make life changes for the better. Now, I'm self employed.

I left my own job hell in April and could not be happier overall. Still trying to build up my new career but once it gets rolling, it will be awesome.

4.5 years of sitting on my butt doing data entry was about 4 years too long.

hate it. Boss is incompetent and has the worst communication skills, I'm expected to do three people's jobs with basically no raise for the last five years as cost of living goes up, no help or support, insane deadlines.

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    You've been working there for 10 years and don't have a permanent contract??? I can't believe that's legal.
    Well, I work for the goverment and they make the laws
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.