The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default An unusual "what would you pay" question!

I just have no clue.

Miniature horse. Tiny miniature horse (25"). 6 yrs old. Goes on twice weekly outings to hospitals, daycares, birthday parties, weddings, parades. So very placid and kid friendly. Has walked around with tiny toddlers on his back.

I want him for my 17 month old daughter. Don't judge, this is why I had a kid in the first place (joking...sort of)! She loves horses and loves to get led around, but we have racehorses and show horses and I can't hold her on the horse and lead it at the same time and she obviously can't do any other interacting besides patting their nose.

This mini will stand totally still to be groomed and is perfect with the farrier. He's totally bombproof and adorable. So I can gradually start to let her brush him, pick his feet, and lead him while we are at the barn. I know he's too small to ride, but at least I could pop her on his back (she's 23 lbs) and have a walk around for a few minutes and teach her to hold the reins and that sort of thing. She really loves to ride and if you say "horse" to her, she gets in a jockey position and pretends to ride. So he really is not all for me! I have another kid on the way so he will be useful to them for the next 5 yrs or so and then he can be our pet or found another home with kids.

Anyway, enough justifying it, what would you pay for a mini with his experience and manners?

If he is sound then I would expect to pay a few thousand. That is a very good resume for a pony regardless of his size.

3 members found this post helpful.

Is he a dwarf mini, or just a really small regular mini?

Dwarfs seem to have some health/soundness issues to consider, but if just a regular, but really small mini, then I agree he could be worth a fair bit.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

1 members found this post helpful.

What's the asking price on him?? That's where you need to start. To the right person who wants him...the sky is the limit!! Manners alone are worth a lot and add "cuteness" to the pot and the price goes wayyyyy up!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

It would be same amount if you wanted a pony for a five-year-old that would do all that with such good manners. Since showing isn't in the picture, I'd expect to pay up to $5,000.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Is he a dwarf mini, or just a really small regular mini?

Dwarfs seem to have some health/soundness issues to consider, but if just a regular, but really small mini, then I agree he could be worth a fair bit.
    If he is very small, I would look at his teeth, absolutely. Many dwarf minis have over/underbite issues and this can cause the entire mouth to be out of whack, and the problem coupled with their tiny size makes good equine dentistry hard if not impossible.

Here many people can't give most minis away. They can be difficult to keep with larger horses and hard to keep in the pasture because of their small size. I would say you will have to arrive at the sum of what he is worth to YOU. Just bear in mind that the market on almost anything is pretty soft right now.

wow, I need to start buying around here and shipping to where ever the first few posters are. Mini's that are sound, sane, socialized, and cute go for a couple hundred bucks.

2 members found this post helpful.

we'd have to see a picture...because cuteness can have a factor in the price too! I'd say it could be expensive but worth it!

The question is do these people want to sell this mini? If he does all the above and is that great I'd think they wouldn't want to part with it which will make the price higher because well you are going to have to let money talk and it depends on how bad you really want him.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

It all depends...it's true that in a lot of places a sweet mini can go for very little, I'd say $1000 or less. However, if you find the right pony paying a little bit extra can be "cheaper" than a busy parent spending precious weekends going out looking at unsuitable ponies. Personally I wouldn't go for such a small mini. A slightly larger mini, say in the 34-36" range, can be much more useful for riding/lead lining and driving for a longer period of time. Very small minis and even regular minis IME usually need very good, regular dental care.