The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We just had a freak storm. 7" in just a few hours after days and days of rain, and one of the pastures turned into a wide, raging river. The current also took out our main driveway. I realize this is probably a once every 100 years type of thing, but the wire fence is a disaster. Really loaded down with debris, limbs, mud, etc.

So one more thing to think about, that I hadn't before, is if there is even the smallest chance water will go through the area. My field was normally dry area--at most the low area would get a little water after heavy rains, but there isn't a tiny creek there or anything like that...normally.

*sigh*
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

There is no perfect solution, honestly. My idea would be v mesh/flex fence top board/hotwire on inside. With your flooding a board fence could have been splintered and destroyed or trees down and boards gone. No such thing as the perfect fence.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I use wire to keep things out as well as horses in. Stray dogs, stupid neighbor's aggressive dog, coyotes, etc....
    my own dogs, the neighbor's geese, wayward children...
    I love my mesh fence with a sight rail. Worth every single penny I spent on it.

Looks nice, minimal maintenance and very secure. If I needed to, I could add hot wire/tape pretty easily, but I haven't had to. I even got all wire filled gates, too.

I have V mesh (no climb) but it is 5' tall and zinc coated. I highly recommend the height so they won't hang over it, and the zinc keeps it from rusting. I had the fence installed by pros that drove (pounded) the posts at 8' and that fence looks as good 6 years later as it did the day they installed it. It goes up hill and down, too. I have also not had one horse get into trouble with it. I do not have a top sight board (nothing to chew on that way) and they see it just fine with the posts being only 8' apart. It maybe more expensive than 4 board or reasonably close in cost but worth every penny.

Vet calls from bad fencing can be very $$$

Nancy