The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kennel Cough or....?

My dog has a shallow throaty cough. He has had this cough two other times and both times the vet treated it as kennel cough. Ironically all three times he has had the cough has been with in a week or two of getting his bordatella vac. I'm wondering if there is not something similar to kennel cough that we may want to ask the vet to look for, or are some dogs just very prone to getting it.

Nothing really seems to trigger his cough, he gets it inside or outside, in the truck, in the house. Nothing else seems wrong with him, his appetite and energy levels are normal.

Any ideas?

Do you spray a lot of air freshener or have automatic spray air freshener? I've known a couple of dogs that coughed after the air freshener went off, or in the car if you use the hang type air freshener that can trigger a response also.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

He needs his anal glands squeezed. There is bacteria there, and they umm "clean the area (bum) with their mouth" and this makes them cough. It just does.

After then bathe the dog.

Learned this from my dog/horse vet. Works. Easy to do, EASY. You can do it. Takes 1-2 seconds.

However, a continued cough needs more diagnostics. My last cocker developed a cough, ex vet didn't do an xray and treated her with antibiotics for doggie bronchitis. It was blastomycosis. By the time we got the xray it was just too late.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Do you spray a lot of air freshener or have automatic spray air freshener? I've known a couple of dogs that coughed after the air freshener went off, or in the car if you use the hang type air freshener that can trigger a response also.
    Nope, dont use anything of the sort.
    Thanks for the replies folks! I'll look into them!

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    My dog has a shallow throaty cough. He has had this cough two other times and both times the vet treated it as kennel cough. Ironically all three times he has had the cough has been with in a week or two of getting his bordatella vac. I'm wondering if there is not something similar to kennel cough that we may want to ask the vet to look for, or are some dogs just very prone to getting it.

Nothing really seems to trigger his cough, he gets it inside or outside, in the truck, in the house. Nothing else seems wrong with him, his appetite and energy levels are normal.

Any ideas?
    My idea involves not getting any more bordetella vaccinations. There are so many varieties of kennel cough type coughs, and bacterial culprits that it is fairly useless to get the dog vaccinated. If you have to board the dog, find someone who will take it into their house who only takes a few dogs and has a good reputation. I do not ever give my dogs anything but the nasal and that only if it is absolutely necessary, I also do not give any updated vaccinations after three years except rabies in any case. Over utilizing of vaccines, especially if there is no need, (no shows, no trials, no dog parks), especially ones which have such limited application is hard on the dog's immune system. At this point, try and boost the immune system with lysine, you can also use a child's cough suppressant, I did in any case. The point at which I had a serious chest cough I had to get a pretty stiff antibiotic to knock it out. Ride it through but stop those damned vacs!
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    He needs his anal glands squeezed. There is bacteria there, and they umm "clean the area (bum) with their mouth" and this makes them cough. It just does.

After then bathe the dog.

Learned this from my dog/horse vet. Works. Easy to do, EASY. You can do it. Takes 1-2 seconds.
    I disagree. A healthy dog does not need its anal glands expressed manually. If they are having anal gland issues (scooting, licking, obviously bothered by them), I'd see the vet and get his/her opinion before I'd start expressing my dog's anal glands regularly. Not to mention, I don't see how expressing the anal glands reduces the bacteria they might get into their mouth by licking?

I'd say about 50% of the people I know that show dogs no longer get the bordatella vaccine because it doesn't work very well, and doesn't last very long.

How old is your dog? Grunting/coughing can be a sign of other issues; my elderly dog had this symptom in his last year or so and it was related to a heart condition.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    How old is your dog? Grunting/coughing can be a sign of other issues; my elderly dog had this symptom in his last year or so and it was related to a heart condition.
    Two years old today. We got him at 10 weeks. He does not seem to scoot on his bum, or lick it anymore than any other dog.

In my case I have found I am disappointed in getting the bordatella. We will reevaluate next go around as to wether we will continue it.

I just think after three rounds with the cough that the vet should look further than calling it kennel cough right away. I know my large animal vet would dig deeper.

I have had dogs in the past who have had recurrent respiratory infections. Finally determined that they were probably due to mico abcesses in the lungs. Antibiotics kept it under control. Sometimes long term antibiotics eliminated it. However, these dogs went into pneumonia, with fever, etc., which it doesn't sound like your dog is doing.

In any case, if it were my dog, I would pursue it....agree that the bordatella vac does not seem very helpful, at least it has not been for mine.

One problem is that many kennels, and other places you might take your dog to, will require bordatella vaccine. I do recall that the nasal vac. is only good for six months, and the injectable is for a year, but that might not be true any longer, or maybe never was the real situation.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Regarding his bum, you watch his bum/licking habits 24/7? Males dogs do clean things up.

I have never had any bad results from expressing anal glands. I don't do every time, but it gets done every now and then.

Ok, so don't do it. Try more chemicals.

Regarding his bum, you watch his bum/licking habits 24/7? Males dogs do clean things up.

I have never had any bad results from expressing anal glands. I don't do every time, but it gets done every now and then.

It seems as tho I have pissed you off. I never intended that. I am with my dog 24/7, I live and work at home, and he sleeps in my bed. I'd have a pretty good idea if he was paying close attention to his bum.

I am not in anyway discounting your advice.

But what is the science behind your theory? If the dog has infected anal glands, you would probably know it (been there, done that, got the t-shirt). They hurt! The dog scoots, licks, and is not very happy. And if his anal glands are infected, they may not take kindly to them being expressed because it hurts, and you can do more damage to them if you don't know how to do it correctly. If they are infected, even if expressed, the dog may still need some veterinary followup. When our old dog had problems with his anal glands, he needed them infused with antibiotics to actually eliminate the infection, not just expressed.

But non-infected anal glands should be left alone; if your dog is healthy and pooping normally, they will express themselves, especially if the dog is producing a solid, formed stool. And since all dogs lick their hind ends, I'm not sure how non-expressed anal glands are any more dangerous to the dog than expressed ones.

Lots of people have the vets and groomers express their dog's anal glands. I'm not really sure why, but if done properly it *shouldn't* hurt the dog or damage their glands. But I'm not sure it does anything useful, either.

1 members found this post helpful.

I express my dogs anal glands once every 3-6 months. If not, she leaves little "dots" on the couch and then licks it up. She does express them on her own for the most part, but every so often they do get full enough that those little dollups of anal gland juice require tell me she is due for a full expression.
    She has always been this way, and maybe its "unhealthy" but then I guess she has been unhealthy for nearly 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I express my dogs anal glands once every 3-6 months. If not, she leaves little "dots" on the couch and then licks it up. She does express them on her own for the most part, but every so often they do get full enough that those little dollups of anal gland juice require tell me she is due for a full expression.
    She has always been this way, and maybe its "unhealthy" but then I guess she has been unhealthy for nearly 14 years.
    It sounds like they don't fully express themselves when she poops?

My information on anal gland health has all come from my vet, who spent a lot of time and energy working on my old guy's behind. He said that if done improperly people can injure/damage the glands and make them less functional, and potentially cause more problems in the future.

If done right, it shouldn't do any harm, but I'm not sure it does any good if your dog doesn't have any "issues". In our case, our vet had us bulk up my dog's stool using bran, to ensure that the glands expressed when he pooped. But if we ran out, he had problems. (This was all when he became elderly; for most of his life he was fine).

Now, my other dog has an interesting talent. He can projectile express his anal glands. Just try using scissors or clippers anywhere near his tail and you'll find out. Makes things interesting while grooming.

Not sure how expressing or not expressing would cause a dog to have a cough, though.

I took him to the vet today. Vet did a thorough exam and concluded that the dog did not have kennel cough. He believes it is seasonal allergies. We are going to try benadryl for a few days and see if that helps.