The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default any primal eaters here?

I'm pretty new to it but LOVE it and how I feel eating this way.
    However admitting I like fat is like admitting to a weird sexual thing, lol, as so many people are purely SHOCKED when I tell them I eat the fat on a steak every day.
    it's not cheap or easy to find a good selection, but i'm able to eat grass fed meat almost daily.
    and I find I am quite easily sated, no more munchies or need for popcorn or snacks.
    I find that a few grains of coconut palm sugar is all I need for a taste of sweet, normally even heavy cream in my coffee is sweet enough.
    yay for fat, this is how I am meant to eat--and yes the weight is stable if not dropping incrementally.
    you should see my hair and nails grow!

3 members found this post helpful.

I do something pretty close--though I do admit to eating dairy. Basically ultra low-carb, no processed food, no grains or sugar. Gets easier over time, once your friends have accepted your weirdness and moved on to being jealous of your waistline.

1 members found this post helpful.

oh yes, thank goodness I can eat dairy--b blood types can usually tolerate it fairly well.
    I live for my extra large extra decaf breve latte every morning---sometimes for dessert too, lol.
    i'm also extremely intrigued by this doctor's take on vegetables--talk about revolutionary thinking!!!!
    http://diagnosisdiet.com/food/vegetables/

I wonder---could she be correct? could kids around the world be following their own intuition when it comes to eating veg?
    my mind is officially blown, lol.

What is this primal diet? (I immediately think of raw food?). I love vegetables, dairy and fruits and God help me, processed foods like cereal, but I'm always trying to eat healthier.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

in a nut shell--and how I think of it---primal is eating non-processed foods.
    raw foodies won't cook their foods, I much prefer to use fire, lol.
    also extremely important is eating foods which haven't been 'contaminated' by modern food science---which to me means grass fed young animals should be eaten by me after a short but happy life grazing on 'clean' grasses as they were designed to eat. for me I also require animals to live out as nature intended in their family groups also.
    it's much harder to find and much more expensive, I am truly lucky to have meat raised this way easily available to me here.

I eat fruit and nuts mostly seasonally too and avoid foods my blood type suggests aren't great for me.

so dairy and meats hell yeah, no grains or sugars unless it's coconut palm sugar.
    I feel great overall.

though to be fair and honest, I will report that my extremely rare weirdo cancer is back----I choose to believe my body is detoxing and pushing the junk out via this tumour cluster. I hope I haven't found the secret to good health too late.

Super info. resource HERE:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2PFinyAAb

A little hucksterism (foodie Parelli?) but he has tons of non-technical fun stuff.

Wanna get in deeper, try: http://eatingacademy.com/

The gold standard if hard science doesn't make your eyeballs bleed is Gary Taubes book Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Oh how I would love to have a meat source like the one you stated Suz! I have never really been a big meat fan but lately the store bought chicken is making me gag, it just tastes so wrong and the carcass looks like it's been injected with steroids for plumpness.

Thank you for explaining more, I'm going to research primal diet more, thank you Lady Eboshi for the links.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I think some people get the misconcepton that this is a high fat diet. The right fats (olive ol, coconut oil, animal fat) are fine but in moderation. Too many people turn this into a "bacon diet". Modern meat animals have been selectively bred for generations to have increased marblng (fat) because it tastes good. A primal diet would have included meat from animals that did not have this selection for "fat content". Even today's grass fed, organic beef still has this artificial selection for marbling in it's breeding. Wild game tends to be lower fat. You might want to check into bison as an alternative - naturally lower in fat. Also keep in mind that while meat is good at every meal, it should make up a much smaller portion of the meal that do vegetables.

The consensus of all the researchers, many of whom are physicians who low-carb, is that there is no need whatsoever to restrict saturated fats; if anything, the concern would be to eat grass-fed rather than grain-fed so that the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio is higher. Natural animal fat, in the absence of refined carbohydrates, is not going to hurt you at all.

What WILL hurt you are UN-natural oils--corn, soybean, and canola which are processed with hydrocarbons and heat producing waaaaay more free-radicals than you want anything to do with. Make your own salad dressings and stick to coconut oil, palm oil, and extra-virgin olive oil.

Anthropologists and others who study mankind's evolution, as well as hunter-gatherer tribes who have not been influenced by industrial foods, maintain that just like wild predators, early man preferred the fattiest meat he could kill, with the organ meats being most highly desired in addition to bone marrow. These have the highest amount of nutrient "bang for the buck."

The lean muscle meat, which we are erroneously told today is "healthy," was and is left for dingoes, buzzards and bugs.

Sure ain't PC, but it sure as shootin' WORKS! You keep your blood sugar low and don't step in front of a bus, you're gonna live a long time! Jogging irrelevant.

right, what lady e said.
    read it again whoapony, it's extremely liberating to eat this way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    The consensus of all the researchers, many of whom are physicians who low-carb, is that there is no need whatsoever to restrict saturated fats; if anything, the concern would be to eat grass-fed rather than grain-fed so that the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio is higher. Natural animal fat, in the absence of refined carbohydrates, is not going to hurt you at all.

What WILL hurt you are UN-natural oils--corn, soybean, and canola which are processed with hydrocarbons and heat producing waaaaay more free-radicals than you want anything to do with. Make your own salad dressings and stick to coconut oil, palm oil, and extra-virgin olive oil.

Anthropologists and others who study mankind's evolution, as well as hunter-gatherer tribes who have not been influenced by industrial foods, maintain that just like wild predators, early man preferred the fattiest meat he could kill, with the organ meats being most highly desired in addition to bone marrow. These have the highest amount of nutrient "bang for the buck."

The lean muscle meat, which we are erroneously told today is "healthy," was and is left for dingoes, buzzards and bugs.

Sure ain't PC, but it sure as shootin' WORKS! You keep your blood sugar low and don't step in front of a bus, you're gonna live a long time! Jogging irrelevant.
    I agree with all of this, exactly. I can't believe the changes in me, since changing my way of eating.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

animal fat is good for you, gobble away. Stay away from plant fats other than olive oil and nuts. You should get most of your calories from fat, then protein, and any carbs you eat should come from vegetables. Your ancestors didn't eat grains and they sure didn't eat soy and high fructose corn syrup.

2 members found this post helpful.

More absolutely recommended books:

Natural Health & Weight Loss and Trick and Treat, both by the UK's Barry Groves.

I think there is nothing more bloody-minded in this world than the AHA and USDA all but ordering people to eat the precise diet guaranteed to cause insulin resistance and the raft of "Western Industrial" diseases that come with it, then get rich medicating the predictable mess. Exactly analagous to lighting the barn on fire so you can get paid as a firefighter. Read Groves, he lets the truth about the stupidity of it all rip!

I've been eating Primal/ paleo for awhile now and I have to say my arthritis sure does feel better. I use to snack at night while I watched TV because I had cravings, now nothing. I eat heaps of veggies, grow my own chicken, buy grass fed beef and pasture raised pork, add to that a little fruit. Whallaa! No cravings , no afternoon slump, much more energy but it takes a bit for the cravings and sugar to leave your body. That's the hard part.

Hey Suz, can I ask you in what part of New England you live in and where do you get your meat? Thanks

1 members found this post helpful.