The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How worried do I need to be?

My horse has been working up to being on grass-he's up to about 8 hours a day, increasing by 30 minutes a day, per my vet's instructions. He WAS on a large pasture all day (12 hours give or take) before we moved to current barn four weeks ago, so it wasn't like he had no grass, but that was pretty well eaten down and this was not, so we went with caution.

But due to a miscommunication, he was left out overnight last night in his grass paddock. That was about 12-13 extra hours. He was due for 8 today and will now be on a dry lot all day, but still, 4-5 hours longer than ideal if you look at the time as yesterday's and today's, and there was no break in between. I'm at work at a freelance job today until evening today (so normally I'd be at the barn to keep an eye on him) and tomorrow. He didn't get any grain last night or the is morning (this morning by design). My friend is going to cold hose his feet a few times as a precaution, he's in the arena, which has pretty soft sand footing, and I'm going to ask my vet for advice as well, but of course I'm worried and wondering if I should just leave work and go to the barn (I need the job, but...).

Should I be completely freaking out, or am I overreacting? This is my favorite horse (and the other one has been on grass, so he'd have been fine) so I'm a wreck. If he was on the spring grass before all day but it was eaten down more, does that make a difference? I'm SO worried about him...

I don't see a huge difference between 8 hours and 12 hours. If it was one hour instead that would be a different story. I am guessing he will be fine.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think you're fine. He's been on it a month, and it's just a few hours extra.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Does he have some pre-existing condition that would make you afraid of grass? If not then I wouldn't stress about it as long as he's acting normal.

No, nothing preexisting except the move from the grazed down paddock to the new one on spring grass. He was acting normal this AM and my friend will check on him throughout the day. I hope I'm worrying over nothing!

He'll be fine.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

If his gut isn't ready for it now. it will never be.

Sleep well!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

He was fine last night and this morning. He was ready to get back on the grass this afternoon! Thanks for all the reassurance!