The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As jump judges, my DH and I had to be at the KHP by 6:45am today. We were not done until after 3:30pm. The only breaks that we got all day were to change fences from Novice, to BN, to Starter. We are exhausted!

Having three huge events at the KHP, including the 457 entries at MayDaze, made it insane. There were cars and trailers parked everywhere. The "food court" was jammed with folks. I stopped by there yesterday around 2:30pm and the line was still long. I did see Gryhrs and Riderboy there getting some late lunch. I gave up and went home.

Congratulations to my friend, Madeline B., who took home a 1st in her BNH division. She finished on her 21 penalty point dressage score. I am living vicariously through her DH and her.

I want to send kudos to all of the Starter riders today. There were a couple of E's, but everyone stayed on their horses. I thought that most of the Jr.'s did a great job, too.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for volunteering, Auburn! This is the first year I have "retired" from volunteering, having done every job there is to do in the past 10 years, including putting TP in the porta-potties. KHP has got to do some brain storming about the parking, though. Had to leave before my daughter picked up her blue ribbon because, although I was parked legally, I had to move to let the trailers out who were parked in. They had to dig the fence out. Anyway, there wasn't anywhere else to park, so off I went. Disappointed, but said blue ribbon is on the mantel piece! :-)

CAN WE TALK ABOUT TRAILER PARKING AT THE KENTUCKY HORSE PARK?!

OMFG.

It stresses me out. Every time.

And how about people WHO ARE HORSE PEOPLE parking in the most inopportune ways so that you cannot get INTO the parking area because they've parked their dually in the back half of a spot with the hitch sticking out. And people who just drop their trailer in the "empty spot" at the end of an aisle so when you pull in... thats in. You're just stuck.

GEEZ.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BestHorses View Post
    Worst warmup? Um, ALL of them!

There are far more terrible warmups than good ones! King Oak's dressage warmup is awful. Three rings worth of horses trying to warm up in the space of one and half rings. Even though the stadium warmup is teeny I always seem to be in there with only one or two people so it's fine. It's way better than the runway on the hill they used to use!

Not sure if it's still like this but Kent School used to have you warm up for dressage on a sloped cornfield. The ruts made it impossible to do any decent work. They have a perfectly nice sand ring they refused to open for warm up. Made no sense to me.

Things like horrible warmup spaces keep me from returning to events.
    Amen to this! Not only is King Oak's dressage warmup in a small enough space to begin with, the ground is sloping and uneven and if xc is already running through the trees my horse loses his mind. The lower level stadium warmup at King Oak is also a scary, scary place. No matter how many times I go there it always seems as if everyone suddenly forgets the left to left rule. And they insist on doing nearly a full flat warmup in a tiny ring with ten other people. They've made it a lot better with the addition of the four horses at a time "On Deck" warmup though, and their xc warmup is pretty decent!

Kent still has dressage warmup on the sloped hill, I was just there last weekend Not rutted this time, but on a hill nonetheless. That upper sand ring is actually open for schooling but not many people realize that. I used to do most of my warmup in there and then move down to the dressage area about 10 minutes from my test.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

There was a fabulous ring steward at Woodside this weekend. She kept her riders moving. If they were walking she told them to move to the rail, if they were stopped to chat she told them to move out of the ring. When riders were starting their warm ups in the triangular sand ring down the hill she'd call to them how many horses she had in front of them so they could gauge when to come up to the main warm up with the jumps. She was pleasant the whole time, but she owned that ring. Now, how do we duplicate her?

4 members found this post helpful.

Any time there is lower level warm-up combined with an upper-level warm up. ...that is very difficult, especially when people are staring at their horses heads like they are going to fall off.....in a small area. ..of course that makes for excellent halt practice. ....

Quote Originally Posted by WasthatC View Post
    There was a fabulous ring steward at Woodside this weekend. She kept her riders moving. If they were walking she told them to move to the rail, if they were stopped to chat she told them to move out of the ring. When riders were starting their warm ups in the triangular sand ring down the hill she'd call to them how many horses she had in front of them so they could gauge when to come up to the main warm up with the jumps. She was pleasant the whole time, but she owned that ring. Now, how do we duplicate her?
    I'm glad the warm-up situation worked out for you at this show and I truly appreciate a good ring steward and what a difficult job that is (from first hand experience), but a ring steward does not "own" the warm up arena. They are there for one purpose - to make sure the actual rules are followed. Anything beyond that may be a simple request, but should be done very courteously (which it sounds like this particular steward did). For example "would riders at the walk please remain on the rail" can be requested. It can not be required, since it is not a rule. Perhaps it sounds like a small distinction, but it can be quite different.

Ring stewards are under the direction of the TD and are not dictators, benevolent or otherwise. They may not make their own rules, even if others think they are appropriate.

Default Kentucky Horse Park

eponacowgirl.....I am with you on that!! Something has to be done, this was way out of control. I love the KHP and we are so lucky to have it in our backyard.....BUT the PARKING needs to be dealt with soon or they are going to start having "rage parking exhibitors".

This is what we went through just to park the trailer.....Drove in huge circles about 3 times around the area that we are suppose to park in only to find every entrance was blocked by cars parking where they were not suppose to park (because they had no parking either). We ended up having to dismantle one of the PVC Fence lines to pull the trailer into the parking lot. By the next morning we were blocked in from every angle with no phone numbers to call on any trailer....just stuck!!!

KENTUCKY HORSE PARK please do something about this. This is way too stressful to deal with for all of us!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WasthatC View Post
    yay her !!!

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    CAN WE TALK ABOUT TRAILER PARKING AT THE KENTUCKY HORSE PARK?!

OMFG.

It stresses me out. Every time.

And how about people WHO ARE HORSE PEOPLE parking in the most inopportune ways so that you cannot get INTO the parking area because they've parked their dually in the back half of a spot with the hitch sticking out. And people who just drop their trailer in the "empty spot" at the end of an aisle so when you pull in... thats in. You're just stuck.

GEEZ.
    Amen to this! I have a 33 ft trailer. No way can I pull into anywhere to hunt for a smidgen of space, or be able to back it into any, and then can't turn around to get back out. The whole trailer area was chaos. The office told us we'd have to drop the trailer up in the front general admission lot and I told them that looked like break-in central to me. We ended up going to the campground office and purchased a $20 primitive w/ electric that they said we could use to park up by the Walnut Arena. Good idea and a safer place, but we didn't need or use the electric and then all the rodeo people parked up there without paying a dime. oh well our contribution to the park upkeep. BUT it is annoying and frustrating and confusing at best when folks need to chill and stay focused on the day and also have it be FUN. And no one had any answers.

Aside from parking - traffic, be that by foot, or scooter, or golfcart, or vehicle is also just plain dangerous. People just walk out in front of you or cut you off everywhere. Maybe up and down Nina Bonnie Blvd they need to set some fence lines back to provide a line of pull in parking spaces for the single vehicles. Or some guarded trailer area with a shuttle service!! The parking fees for the weekend should cover that. The number of rigs there this past weekend - my math is good I can still multiply!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Love the guarded area with shuttle. Have too many friends that have not only had stuff stolen from their trailers when parked in that general admission lot, but two have actually had their whole trailer stolen.

That was the KDA dressage show was that international quarantine? or private extras?
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

I'm glad I have an itty bitty car, but still left my number on an SUV who was in tight where I parked! The warm up ring was wild....But what I don't understand are the people in there jumping for 20 minutes before they go. Do your lessons at home people!

Kanga,

I was jump judging at jump six (BN steeplechase). You and your horse looked great! Congratulations on the 20 dressage score, too.

Are all of your homebreds by Fleetwater Opposition? If so, you have a wonderful breeding program going.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Default KHP

Hi Auburn!

Thank you!!! and thank you for jump judging too!!

I have 2 Fleetwater Opposition babies that are full brother & sister. They are both just starting to event together so we are in for some exciting times right now I wanted to buy all his semen that was left but my problem is I am not a good breeder because I won't sell anything (get way too attached!) Decided to stop and 2 and have fun with them.

Please introduce yourself next time you see me at a show! We are heading to Indiana this weekend if you are up there.

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    That was the KDA dressage show was that international quarantine? or private extras?
    Neither. They had a CDI and that was the FEI stabling.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    And how about people WHO ARE HORSE PEOPLE parking in the most inopportune ways so that you cannot get INTO the parking area because they've parked their dually in the back half of a spot with the hitch sticking out.
    I came very, very close to putting a note on a truck that had a whole lane blocked in the car parking area between Nina Bonnie and the trailer parking telling them what rude idiots they were by driving and parking in public when their skill set was obviously so pathetic. On Friday morning some poor girl got her trailer (with horse in it) stuck in there trying to get into the trailer parking area because trucks weren't pulling all the way off the lane. The one that finally got her was a farrier's truck. Seriously. Can't be bothered to park like a normal human being--plenty of space to pull forward and he left the back end of his truck blocking the lane.

I got there mid day Wednesday (went for the first 2 days of the KDA show) and was seriously freaked about whether I was going be able to get my trailer out and leave on Friday.