The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worst warmup arena

I have to say the stadium warmup at Maydaze gets my vote. Kamikaze city.

Anything at HHP gets my vote. Not sure why, but arena itself sets my horse off... With or without others in it.
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he's not a re-sale project...
    http://fancyponypants.blogspot.com

Poplar show jump warmup in 4-6 in of mud after 24 hours of rain at their May HT this year.

4 members found this post helpful.

No longer running, but XC warmup at Pebble Beach. Tiny warmup near XC, it was a 30-40 min hack from stabling to get there, & you had to wait for golfers to finish at road crossings. But we got to go cross country just a few meters from the Pacific Ocean, so it was worth it!

Yup. Way too small. Too many horses in the space. Chaos.
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    Poplar show jump warmup in 4-6 in of mud after 24 hours of rain at their May HT this year.
    Amen! I was third to last of the day and it was miserable!

1 members found this post helpful.

It was ridiculous - way too small to school with more than 2 or 3 horses in the arena. I cannot imagine what it was like for the larger divisions. Scary. And don't get me started on the parking chaos at the KHP. What a joke.

I was at Ky Horse Park for the KDA dressage show and helped a friend in the Maydaze warmup. (Add a rodeo to the venue and it explains the parking problem...) I don't understand why it was a problem, there was a ring across the street and if people would have done their w/t/c work over there before they jumped it would have been fine. I think it was poor management/cat herding of the competitors more than it was a space problem.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    Another vote for this one...

We're quite spoiled here in FL. Both Rocking Horse and FHP always seem to have ample warm-up because there is just so much open land. If you're not using a jump, there is a ton of room to hack elsewhere.
    Last edited by JWB; May. 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I'm going with Poplar as well but maydaze was pretty awful. I definitely got my kids through on 6 warmup jumps. I only got 4 on my Prelim round because they kindly sent me in TWENTY MINUTES EARLY.

subk, the other arenas were in use by rodeo-ers today!

Ram Tap. Power lines, gun range, TRAINS!, etc. Of course you're lucky if these things mess up your warm-up. And not your dressage test.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

LOL, I'm sitting here in tent city looking at the sun rise over Rolex arena as I read this. Warm up yesterday was a mess. Pony runs straight at my TB, stops, rears and dumps rider right next to us. Needless to say dressage was rough, TB was still wigged out. But yes, not impressed with KHP warm up.

And I've never seen a cluster like Poplar last month, but then again we didn't make it to Chatt for that mudfest.

I would have died. I can't deal with crazed, overly busy warm up rings. Blah.

My least favorite one around here, which I think may be a thing of the past, is Seneca's. Too small even if it wasn't crowded. Top it off with spectators and parked horses along the rail at the in gate, which was directly off the warm up area. That often made it nearly impossible to get to the fences on the left lead. It was always chaos, and I was often riding young ones in their early events there, so BN/N crowded chaos on a baby going always made it interesting. Less scary as you went up the levels, but still god awful.

Finally, they moved the bulk of the warm up to a better spot further away, then filtered people down to the final, original area a couple at a time, with the option to jump another fence or two. Then, last year, they moved it all and the everything was a million times better.

The old Seneca- I agree. 3 jumps, 20 meters of clear space, 10 people warming up, 2 buildings, a tree line , and rock hard ground. Not fun

I wonder why they can't limit the number of riders in a small warmup to say, 5 at a time, particularly in the stadium warmup. Dressage could obviously be more depending on how large the sandbox is. And if you aren't getting ready to show and just want to get a ride in for some other reason, just stay out of the warmup areas completely and go do your flatwork in some other designated area.

Worst warmup? Um, ALL of them!

There are far more terrible warmups than good ones! King Oak's dressage warmup is awful. Three rings worth of horses trying to warm up in the space of one and half rings. Even though the stadium warmup is teeny I always seem to be in there with only one or two people so it's fine. It's way better than the runway on the hill they used to use!

Not sure if it's still like this but Kent School used to have you warm up for dressage on a sloped cornfield. The ruts made it impossible to do any decent work. They have a perfectly nice sand ring they refused to open for warm up. Made no sense to me.

Things like horrible warmup spaces keep me from returning to events.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    I wonder why they can't limit the number of riders in a small warmup to say, 5 at a time, particularly in the stadium warmup. .
    Waredaca does this. It can work decently but it makes the SJ warmup steward very unpopular sometimes (I say this as someone who has done that job a couple of times)
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

MayDaze is always hard because of the KDA show going on in the dressage complex. Usually we have those two nice warmup areas for the four arenas there. I did notice that they had tried to limit dressage warmup in the long arena to 20 horses at a time, with the people farther our from their tests in the Murphy ring.
    As for showjumping, the traffic was as usual but the space was small and you had to do a rollback turn every time you wanted to jump the oxer. Taco, at age 17, has decided this year that horses coming at him are not to be tolerated, so this made my life interesting in there. OTOH, things were much easier once I got into the Walnut Ring for my round.

The SJ warmup at Maydaze was congested. When competing at KHP, I'm not always sure where we are allowed to ride but riding in the ring across the way is a great idea! I'm amazed at how much riders think they need to flat their horses when they just recently warmed them up to ride their dressage tests.

As far as the parking, we are all supposed to park our trailers in the paved main lot at the front of the park and use the gravel lot for vehicle parking. This is what they do during the H/J shows and was told they never encounter problems.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

I agree with poplar in may, that was rough!!! I warmed up x country and did maybe 3 jumps and was like I need to run, that was a mess
    No Worries!