The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Devon Carriage Pleasure Drive Relocated

My daughter just came in and told me she saw on Facebook that the pleasure drive tomorrow has been relocated to starting at the showgrounds and ending at the show grounds. My guess is St. David's churchgrounds are too wet for the trailers.

Here's the text of the alert...

<<Due to inclement conditions, management has decided to start the Pleasure Drive from the Dixon Oval at the Horse Show grounds. Class judging will commence at 11:30am in the Dixon Oval and the Final judging and awards will take place (as scheduled in the Dixon Oval) beginning at approximately 1:45pm.
    Sunday Schooling Update: Hunter/Jumper schooling will end at 11:15 am in the Dixon Oval and 12 noon in the Gold Ring.>>
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Was there a carriage accident at Devon?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

If it happened today, I wouldn't know. Today is my day "off." I hope not!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    I heard something on the live feed, and know they unhitched the horses for one vehicle during the pleasure (?) section a few minutes ago, but the live feed didn't have the camera oriented at it so not sure what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    There definitely was but I'm still not sure what exactly happened. The announcer mentioned "vehicle damage" and that everyone was "more or less OK". It was a big yellow commercial vehicle & all we really saw was a pair of bays being led out.

ETA: I definitely heard hooves hitting wood at one point while everyone was gasping.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I was at the Dixon Oval from about 12:15 on til the end of the judging of the Championship. I didn't see or hear anyone talking about an accident. Later, as I was shopping at the country fair I heard two different people talking about a single horse (didn't hear if two wheeled or four) that fell out on the drive. But couldn't hear any details. I'm curious too.

Frustratingly, the person behind the @USEFNetwork Twitter account does not know either. We're not making this up though!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hearsay but someone who was there said the Waller's yellow coach jack-knifed and the coach split apart. Humans and horses are okay. The person I talked to isn't horsey so she didn't have a good concept of what started the problem in the first place. I am assuming a horse got out of control while hitched!?
    ~Veronica

There were actually 3 driving mishaps this year... One on the pleasure marathon, being the worsts one, the horse took a misstep, woman fell out and landed on her head... she is in critical condition, fractured skull, and brain bleeds. She has had surgery and is in a medically induced coma, they let her come out of it to check response, and they are optimistic. Horse nad carriage are fine.
    The Wallers coach did jack knife, Rigth leaders line got caught under the Left leader, and the whip was unable to get everything sorted out. The coach did not flip, always a good thing, horses remained calm, no one was hurt, coach needs repair.
    And a single pony flipped, no one was hurt, and the carriage was fine.

Thanks for the details.

Sounds like an ugly day on the Pleasure Marathon. Sometimes there is just nothing that could have changed things. Hope to hear the woman injured, has a good recovery.

omg, prayers for that woman.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Thanks for the info, prayers and jingles for the injured lady.

I had not heard that! Hope she's ok!!!
    ~Veronica

Update this morning on her facebook page is that she is still in a coma and they are going to try remove the tube that drains fluid from the brain and the breathing tube to get her breathing on her own. Once they have her breathing on her own they will bring her out of the coma.

I really hope she recovers from this....very nice lady....and always has an exceptional presentation of her and her ponies/horses.

I don't know if she was wearing a helmet or not as I know she does show in the fancy hats. As do I...but things like this make me rethink wearing my hat ever again (my horse has been known to act stupid!).

Any current update?

From her facebook page:

**Tuesday AM - Cindy has taken the big step and is now in Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital. This is just the beginning of a very long road but I feel very confident that it will end in a wonderful place and Cindy will be returned to us completely healed and ready to drive her horses once again. They have a very intense program for individuals that have suffered massive brain injuries so she will be very busy ever day in her rehabilitation. I am not allowed to visit until after 4:00 PM on a daily basis. Bryn Mawr is considered on of the very best rehab centers in the country and for that I am grateful. I will try to keep everyone posted as to her daily progress. THANK YOU all again for you continued support and prayers........Gene**

So glad to hear she's doing better. Really scary how one small bad moment can change a life so dramatically.

2 members found this post helpful.

Great update, hope she continues to improve!
    ~Veronica