The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feed for horse with possible ulcer

Wondering what is a good feed for a horse with an ulcer. He is currently on a complete sweet feed and will need to come off that. I know that too high powered a feed is not going to do him any favors so debating what to give him to avoid sweet and natural grains (which they say is bad too). The suggestion I have read is no grain at all, just hay and grass. This horse seems to be not fond of hay and we don't have much grass so he will need something. My thought was a not to powerful jazzed up pelleted feed. If this is an OK plan would folks go with a complete feed pellet or a fat and fiber pellet? Also this is a young growing warmblood so I want to ensure he continues to do well in terms of getting what he needs and his growth. Some of that can be managed with supplements of course.

I have read that Triple Crown Complete is good for horses with ulcers. It is high fiber and low starch. I tried it with my mare but she is not crazy about the taste; that said she is extremely picky and not a big fan of beet pulp. It looks and smells good to me.

Triple Crown Senior is great for horses with ulcers. Low starch and carbs (NSC=11.7) and high fat (10%).

We can't get Triple Crown here but will check out senior feeds. My only concern with senior feed is does it have enough for growing developing horses? Again I could look to supplement for some beefing it up. He did like the beet pulp but since a little episode he has decided not to eat beet pulp well.

Have you given him any ulcergard/gastrogard to treat the suspected ulcers? If so, did you see an improvement in his appetite? It is possible that he might enjoy the hay more if his suspected ulcers are treated, especially if you have taken away the complete sweet feed.

A few years ago a 2 year old QTR horse that I had raised since birth had ulcers per a scope. I was stunned because he wasn't under saddle or in any sort of work other than some occasional longing and in hand work. I treated the ulcers and took away ALL grain except for alfalfa pellets and he had free choice hay. He bloomed under that feed regime.

^^^Ditto on any sort of ulcer meds

It is possible he doesn't like his hay because the ulcers bother him, or he could be a fussy hay eater.

It's easier for you to say what brands of Ration Balancers are available to you. Grain-free is the best or you could opt to feed him timothy pellets and top dress them with a concentrated vit/min supplement (suitable for his age) that you would probably have to order on-line.

Equine Rice bran is also easy on the tummy but does not have all the required nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    We can't get Triple Crown here but will check out senior feeds. My only concern with senior feed is does it have enough for growing developing horses? Again I could look to supplement for some beefing it up. He did like the beet pulp but since a little episode he has decided not to eat beet pulp well.
    Check the label--TC Senior is actually quite close to their Growth feed, so it certainly can be enough if you feed the right amount. Other brands may vary, but check out the analysis compared to their other feeds. My vet recommends the TC Senior for many horses, not just senior.

Will he eat beet pulp if it has something tasty mixed in? I find tossing in a handful of something yummy, like sweet feed, makes it a lot more interesting.

Plenty of quality forage is key for ulcer-prone horses. I would try different types of hay (both different grasses and different consistencies, like chopped or cubed). I have one who isn't a huge hay eater who loves soaked hay cubes, so he gets some of both.

Quote Originally Posted by mlb722 View Post
    I have read that Triple Crown Complete is good for horses with ulcers. It is high fiber and low starch. I tried it with my mare but she is not crazy about the taste; that said she is extremely picky and not a big fan of beet pulp. It looks and smells good to me.
    TC Complete is NOT a low-starch feed - i would not feed it to an ulcer-prone horse. TC Senior is much lower in NSCs. See the link below:

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/artic...rown-horsefood
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Can you get a ration balancer? (Like Purina Enrich 32, Buckeye Grow N Win, Tribute Essential K, just to name a few). RB's provide protein, vitamins, and minerals in a relatively small volume. You would feed it at 1-2 lbs per day, and you can add additional calories if needed with beet pulp, hay pellets/cubes, rice bran/flax/other fat source.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

I would first try ulcer meds and switch to a low starch low sugar feed- Buckeye Safe N Easy pellets or Nutrena Safe Choice.
    Both ok for all age groups and very mild on the gut.
    the grass is the best option for an ulcer ridden horse as grass (fresh grass) produces FAR less acid in the stomach than grains/ pellets and even hay.

good luck!

Nutrena Safe Choice is not low in NSC. It's somewhere in the mid 20's. TC Senior is the better choice. However, I think I would try alfalfa pellets instead of a feed and add a vitamin mineral supplement. Of course...I would treat for ulcers at the same time. Lose the sweet feed ASAP.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

He started ulcer treatment three days ago so not sure if he will respond well or not. He seems somewhat happier I think....still not interested in hay. Thanks for all the suggestions....gives me ideas to run with and will go to my feed store and look at accessible options for feed. Wish he could live on grass but be do not have access to pasture plus even if we did we have harsh snowy winters and horses have to be on hay even if they have pasture. Going to lose the sweet feed for sure.

1 members found this post helpful.