The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Argosy's new home...Equine-Reproduction.com

It was hard to watch my boy leave after 16 years together, but I couldn't be happier that Kathy and Jos have agreed to stand him for me.

As some of you who know me here, I had to wind down actively offering my stallions a few years ago when my Mom became ill. But after her passing, I realized at age 61, I'm just "gettin' too old" to handle the day in and day out of breeding pretty much alone...as I've become busier and busier with my ad agency business.

Kathy and Jos know Argosy quite well after having come to Virginia to collect and freeze him several times. He and Kathy immediately "clicked" , so I couldn't be happier that he will be in their excellent hands.

I must admit, I bawled my eyes out as he boarded the rig and pulled away from the farm. I bought him when he was 2 and we have had so much history together. He taught me so much. He arrived safely last evening.

Things are strangely quiet around here now. Until he left I didn't realize what a presence he was. I'm even a little misty-eyed watching his youtube video. It's going to take a little getting used to not having him here after so many years together.

7 members found this post helpful.

Default Hang in there sid! Time will pass.

Awwww, you made me want to cry. Just think how lovely you have closed that chapter of your life on a happy note. Sending my deepest sympathy on your loss, too. I lost my Mom who was my best friend a few years ago. Life goes on. Think Positive - the best is yet to come!

Sending my congrats to Kathy and Jos. They will take a phenomenal care of him. Trust me.

Many wishes to you on your new life ahead of you.
    Last edited by LuvLHDachshunds; May. 25, 2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvLHDachshunds View Post
    Sending my congrats to Kathy and Jos. They will take a phenomenal care of him. Trust me.
    About this I have no doubt. They rock.

Wow, that is a big change for sure. Congrats to you for making such a tough decision, but you know your boy will be well cared for.

1 members found this post helpful.

He couldn't be in better hands. That is exactly where I would send mine if I ever found myself in that sort of situation.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    He couldn't be in better hands. That is exactly where I would send mine if I ever found myself in that sort of situation.
    My quandary was deciding to keep him here and just retire him...but he's fit as a fiddle, has many good breeding years ahead of him, and was very popular with the hunter/jumper breeders. Kathy and Jos have such a great set-up for their stallions and would manage him just like he's been managed here. Out, out, out and great handling = happy stallion. I couldn't ask for a better situation for him.

4 members found this post helpful.

What a brave, unselfish decision you made! I hope you have peace with this decision and can visit him regularly.
    PennyG

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Wow. I know what a big deal it is for you to send one of your horses to someone else. Kathy must be pretty special.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

What a wonderful and extremely knowledgable facility to send your stallion to! Congratulations!!
    Lorelei Farm - Welsh and Riding Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for hunters, dressage and driving!

Oh wow, this is awesome! I mean, it's really sad for you as I know how much you love that boy. BUT, he's a lovely, lovely stallion, and for him to still be available through the VERY competent hands of ER, is just fantastic.

Bittersweet for you, but what a perfect solution.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Sid, your post was so moving, and I understand completely.
    I am sure that your handsome Argosy could not be in better hands (other than your own) and that Kathy and Jos will take the best of care of him.
    Warmest wishes from me, as you enter this new phase of your life, and best of luck to Argosy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Bittersweet for you, but what a perfect solution.
    Exactly.

Love your tagline, btw. So, so true!

Kathy said he's settling in quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Sid, your post was so moving, and I understand completely.
    I am sure that your handsome Argosy could not be in better hands (other than your own) and that Kathy and Jos will take the best of care of him.
    Warmest wishes from me, as you enter this new phase of your life, and best of luck to Argosy.
    Thanks so much. Actually, I had the ad agency business all along (for 35 years), but as I get older it just getting physically harder to keep the same pace as I used.

These worn out shoulders and knees for 25+ years of horse farming, delivering, raising and training youngsters -- and handling in the breeding shed -- have taken their toll.

You know, at a certain age you start to worry "what if something happens to me...what happens to my horses?" For me it was when I turned 50. I still have 10 of various ages. There would be no problem for them.

But finding the right situation for a breeding stallion is much tougher. I would not lay that decision on my sister (who lives half way across the country) and the only family I have left, as she is not horse experienced. Not fair to her, nor to Argosy. I had talked to Kathy about this a few years ago.

So...considering all the facts, better I board him with the people I trust now and are uber experienced to continue to stand him, than leave it all up to fate -- with an uncertain outcome for him and an imposition on people who wouldn't know who was a good buyer or not.

I'm sure others out there must think about this to. Heavy stuff.

Something I think about too, Susan.
    We were primary caregivers for my husband's elderly, ill parents for the last 2+ yrs, and one of the things we have learned from this, beyond a doubt, is that life is short, and in the end can be very difficult.
    What you plan for and hope for may not happen, and we NEVER know what tomorrow may bring.