The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fashionistas and online shoppers- Brown GPA first lady?

Any idea where I could get one online? I can't seem to find one for sale online from a retailer in the US.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

I'm well overdue for a new cap, and my chocolate tall boots are begging for a matching helmet.
    friend of bar.ka.

http://www.equiporium.co.uk/gpa-firs.../prod_827.html

But, it isn't ASTM approved/recognized..

Quote Originally Posted by KateD View Post

Let me play devil's advocate for giggles & haha's just because it's Sat nite & I've got nada going on - Is that cert any less then the American one? What about when foreign riders come to show here - their helmets aren't going to be ASTM, which our show rules say helmets should be, but clearly they're fine.

And I'd go all out & get the brown leather one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate for giggles & haha's just because it's Sat nite & I've got nada going on - Is that cert any less then the American one? What about when foreign riders come to show here - their helmets aren't going to be ASTM, which our show rules say helmets should be, but clearly they're fine.

And I'd go all out & get the brown leather one.
    Fair enough, I just wanted to point it out incase it mattered to the OP! I know most helmets have both certifications but it is something to think about.

Yeah, it is... Go look at the listing on Dover's website. It doesn't say so on the European website because they have their own certification system. All GPA helmets are ASTM certified.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    Yeah, it is... Go look at the listing on Dover's website. It doesn't say so on the European website because they have their own certification system. All GPA helmets are ASTM certified.
    My bad!

Other than the leather First Lady's right? I thought that was the reason they weren't available yet in NA...
    Last edited by KateD; May. 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: adding

Get the leather brown First Lady! The logo is gold instead of silver and I drool all over it!
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

My bad!

Other than the leather First Lady's right? I thought that was the reason they weren't available yet in NA...
    Every GPA helmet meets ASTM safety standards, among others. I attended a presentation (?) that GPA gave when the First Lady debuted in NA. The leather First Lady is ASTM approved.

Default GPA Info

We are the Distributors for GPA.

To Clarify: All GPA helmets made for the North American Market are ASTM. However the helmets made for the European Market are NOT. They are made to a different standard. Therefore helmets bought in Europe to not meet North American Rule.

Regarding the Brown First Lady. We stock Black and Navy. The Brown can be special ordered but delivery is approx 12 weeks. If Demand warrants we will stock it in the future.

Thanks for your interest in GPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Frantisi View Post

To Clarify: All GPA helmets made for the North American Market are ASTM. However the helmets made for the European Market are NOT. They are made to a different standard. Therefore helmets bought in Europe to not meet North American Rule.

Regarding the Brown First Lady. We stock Black and Navy. The Brown can be special ordered but delivery is approx 12 weeks. If Demand warrants we will stock it in the future.

A bit of a tangent question, but are you able to order in replacement visors for the Speed Air? My one speed air has a broken clip so the visor pops off all the time (hence why I had to get a new one...sigh) and the only place I was able to find one online was from an Australian retailer. On that same note, do the Speed Air and First Lady visors fit the helmet in the same way (ie, are they interchangeable)?

Not to advocate breaking the rules or anything, but I wouldn't imagine that any steward would request that you remove your *obviously a GPA* helmet and show him/her the certification tag.

Best to have a backup helmet, though, just in case!

1 members found this post helpful.

The Speed Air Evolution visors are replaceable and replacement visors are available through any GPA dealer. The First Lady visor is not replaceable and therefore not exchangeable with the Speed Air Visor. The First Lady Visor is attached between the inner and outer shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frantisi View Post

Interesting! Now, let me ask you - who has the stricter standards? ASTM or the Euro? I'm sure a google search and 20 mins would probably find my answer, but let's face it, I really should be working and not messing around on COTH, plus you're the expert.

Yes, I'm totally going tangent on this thread - Sorry! I just think it's interesting....