The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My daughter likes to snack on beet pulp pellets.
    My son was eating grass this spring.
    Weird children I have.

1 members found this post helpful.

My folks told me when I was a toddler I was a fussy eater. HOWEVER, when I had the opportunity, I'd go out to Rip the dog's food bowl, push him aside, and chow down on whatever canned food he was eating. It was probably horse meat in those days.

Could that be why I love horses so much?

OMG I totally forgot this till this thread! When I was a child, I loved the Lassie canned dog food!! I remember getting down beside our dog and eating it with him. My mom would get so mad! But I loved it! It had big chunks of meat. This was about 45 years ago so probably had horse meat. Ick ick ick!!

LOL! Here's a commercial for it!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGYbYv432bI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8SJgoxu-HI
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

This has me laughing so hard, some of that sounds so gross!

There was a guy at my old school who ate a whole jar of maynaise for a contest at some carnival, but he later got disqualified for being under 17!

My step-Mom wasn't one to put dog food in a "doggy" bowl. She'd put it in her blue willow china and feed the dog, usually a half a can a day. So, the other half would be placed in the fridge in another bowl.

My Dad told her he didn't like the brand a refried beans she'd recently gotten. Ummmm, that was dog food!

He used to eat onion sandwiches, so I'm not sure about his taste buds.

My Dad ate a bunch of "cookies" that we bought at the pet store. In his defense, they did look like cookies, and they were in the pantry.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

For Christmas, long ago, my aunt bought a box of chocolate covered caterpillars for her little brother, the family bug collector. She thought she'd come up with the ultimate gross gift for the family clown, something even he couldn't handle. She was mighty proud of her clever gift until she discovered her own kids sharing the treats, one licking the chocolate off and the other eating the caterpillars.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    My mom was having a buffet one year
    She needed to fill up the cat food (think cheap dry food) and my mom likes to feed everyone and everything in fancy bowls. She was setting the table and got distracted on what she was doing and placed the cat food on the buffet table. My grandmother came over early to help and starts nibbling on some finger foods on the table. A few minutes goes by and she says to my mom, "this trail mix is really good!!" My mom laughs, "That is NOT trail mix!!"
    Had the same thing happen years ago. Think it was Purina Cat Chow.

Years ago when we lived in SoCal we were at the beach one day and my dad noticed that all of the Oriental ladies were gathering up tiny octopus from the tide pools, so he did the same.

Cooked, it was similar to eating ink-colored rubber bands.

I wonder how many people accidentally buy & eat the frozen "ice cream" treats for dogs?

Hubby & I were grocery shopping yesterday, & I noticed in the frozen desserts section they had 2 different brands of doggie ice-cream treats mixed right in with the people ice cream stuff. Granted, both brands had cartoon pictures of dogs on them, but frankly I could see how very easy it would be for someone - especially a kid - to just grab them for themselves. Especially since the "Frozen Treat for Dogs" was in faint teensy-tinesy print at the bottom of the box.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I grew up in Maryland, home of the Blue Crab (and as a true MD'er I don't order crab cakes outside of MD! ). I was about 7 or 8 when my parents decided it was time for me to learn to pick my own crabs. They showed me how to pull off the shell, and then "dig out the meat- the white stuff". Well, I followed their instructions, I was eating the white stuff, and just wasn't seeing what all the fuss was about; in fact I was thinking crabs were kinda nasty. Then my parents checked back in on me and I'm eating the LUNGS. I still remember it to this day. (once they showed me the real meat- YUM!!)
    ~Living the life I imagined~

4 members found this post helpful.

Very funny thread!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

One of my mothers friends ate some expensive parrot food (the kind with the dried fruits, vegitables, nuts, anise that you buy by the pound) told my mom it was petty bad trail mix.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Hey101, I've had a similar experience. I grew up in New Orleans, eating seafood. To get my share of the boiled crabs my brother offered to teach me to pick my own and told me to eat what we called the 'dead man's fingers'; the crabs' gills. Gritty, nasty, not at all tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    One of my mothers friends ate some expensive parrot food (the kind with the dried fruits, vegitables, nuts, anise that you buy by the pound) told my mom it was petty bad trail mix.
    Hey, I've been guilty as above when I got the munchies with nothing available. The parrot isn't terribly thrilled with this anyway. Actually, it's not bad.

My brother is another member of the People Who Have Unknowingly Eaten Dog Biscuits. Granted they were from the new dog boutique in town and smelled delicious (oaty). He said the icing was sh*t and how much did we pay for those anyway? Afterwards he did admit that a bone shaped cookie seemed like a strange choice, but I had just been admitted to UGA (bulldogs), so he assumed it was because of that!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Oh and yes my mom has done the same thing with the Devils fingers in the Maryland blue crab. The first time she had them was with my dad and he new in laws. She was learning that you have to eat FAST when with my dad's side, and she has a slight competitive streak regardless, so when she proclaimed her shell pile was the biggest, they looked and sure enough, it was all shells no devils fingers or anything.
    She still eats those parts, plus all the nasty yellow gunk... Blegh!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    My mom was having a buffet one year
    She needed to fill up the cat food (think cheap dry food) and my mom likes to feed everyone and everything in fancy bowls. She was setting the table and got distracted on what she was doing and placed the cat food on the buffet table. My grandmother came over early to help and starts nibbling on some finger foods on the table. A few minutes goes by and she says to my mom, "this trail mix is really good!!" My mom laughs, "That is NOT trail mix!!"
    Third one here. The cat ate on the vanity in the powder room. My uncle, the NYC writer/world traveler, said he'd never seen hors d'oeuvres in the bathroom.

My sister and I tried the flaked tuna cat food - it tasted pretty much the same as the people stuff, just not the pretty light color. My grandmother had a small cow.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    I ate horse food as a kid--pellets only, 'cause I could.
    All us kids used to sample the horses' grain and pellets--and some of us still do. Don't ask me how I know that Hay Stretcher melts in the mouth . . .