The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by littlebaypony View Post
    Hey101, I've had a similar experience. I grew up in New Orleans, eating seafood. To get my share of the boiled crabs my brother offered to teach me to pick my own and told me to eat what we called the 'dead man's fingers'; the crabs' gills. Gritty, nasty, not at all tasty.
    Then there's Conch. Or, as they're called in Rhode Island, "Conks!" Which taste about like the rubber bushings in your truck's tie-rods doused with vinegar, and have to be boiled out of the shells outdoors in a bucket or the stench'll clear your house.

My first experience eating them was in a Pt. Judith restaurant with some fishing-boat friends, who put me up to it after the minimum prerequisite of 3 beers . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Then there's Conch. Or, as they're called in Rhode Island, "Conks!" Which taste about like the rubber bushings in your truck's tie-rods doused with vinegar, and have to be boiled out of the shells outdoors in a bucket or the stench'll clear your house.

My first experience eating them was in a Pt. Judith restaurant with some fishing-boat friends, who put me up to it after the minimum prerequisite of 3 beers . . .
    Actually, there are no "conks" in Rhode Island. True "conks" are only native to southern waters, like the Carib. What you're talking about are whelks, also known in the Italian cuisine trade as "scungili". And they're absolutely FABULOUS when prepared correctly. Lovely & tender. But as you say, if not prepared correctly - just like squid, octopus, real conch, etc., etc. - tough as rubber tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Actually, there are no "conks" in Rhode Island. True "conks" are only native to southern waters, like the Carib. What you're talking about are whelks, also known in the Italian cuisine trade as "scungili". And they're absolutely FABULOUS when prepared correctly. Lovely & tender. But as you say, if not prepared correctly - just like squid, octopus, real conch, etc., etc. - tough as rubber tires.
    Right, that's the word--SQUINGE--EEEEEEEELLLS!! Yes, done by someone who cooks them right they rock! But they go good with beeer anyway . . .

Hey, everything goes good with beer.

2 members found this post helpful.

Horse pellets are okay. Soaked beet pulp isn't half bad. And I'm pretty sure if I made molasses bran cookies they would conjure up my childhood memories of tasting sweet feed.