The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question You ate What?

While visiting my mother's sister my father snacked on and consumed an entire box of Beggin' Strips. No one had known he's eaten the dog's treats until, as they wrote up a grocery list, Daddy commented that they were out of those yummy bacon flavored snacks. Rather puzzled, they asked about these snacks and he said he'd finished off the open box in the utility room (they have a huge well stocked pantry for the humans in the house).
    What have you or your family members eaten by mistake?

12 members found this post helpful.

I don't know but that's pretty funny! Ewww....

This post made my day. Thanks!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I sent my father in the mail some smoked pig ears for his dog to chew.

I think he thought they were for him to eat, and may have chewed on one, I really get the feeling he did. He was a bacon lover. Also he told me, Oh they are for the dog?!

Ick.

LMAO! Awww, guess those really do taste good! Years ago my youngest daughter walked into my office saying, "Mommy, I ate all Slim Jims, can we go get some more?" Hmmm, we didn't have any beef jerky. She was eating the dog snacks shaped like Slim Jims! She's 20 now and we still tease her for that, and she still maintains that those were pretty tasty!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

My dad ate a box of dog cookies when I was a kid. Told my mom not to buy them again because "they were dry and had a weird meat taste". He still ate them though. I still give him a hard time almost 15 years later
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh my gosh! He didn't notice the picture of the cartoon dog on the box? I guess it could seem like something aimed at kids.

I can't say anyone here has eaten pet snacks by accident, though my brother and I used to, purposefully, eat Milk Bones when we were kids, just because we could . They didn't taste very good.

hahaha!! great story!

when i was a kid, my dad (who is a notorious compulsive/fast overeater) took us to a wendy's where there was a salad bar. he ate an entire bowl of vanilla pudding, and when he was done he sat there with a weird look on his face. he's like, i think that pudding might have been soured or something... we're like, what pudding? they don't have any pudding here! turns out he ate an entire bowl of blue cheese dressing! we still tell this story 20 years later
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

12 members found this post helpful.

Great thread. One of our beloved family stories is about my great grandfather. He had a incurable sweet tooth. They restricted his sugar intake at the onset of diabeties. Well he had always been a very foxy clever guy. One day he pulls my uncle, visiting from out of state aside all conspiricy like, and shows him the green box of Hartz chocolate kisses gerbil treats, and says with his very heavy accented voice " dems the good ones". Which begs the question how many had he eaten durring the course of his sugar restriction diet. And NO my uncle didnt blow him in to grandma & pa. He only told us kids. So how many did he eat after words? Who knows. On a side note the green Hartz box also had a life size upright gerbil on the front of it.

4 members found this post helpful.

When my oldest son was teething I got him some teething cookies ( sorry cant recall the name). And he hated them. I tried to hide them by putting food he loved on them and he wouldn't have a thing to do with them. He let me know this by throwing them across the room and painting my kitchen walls. I have to admit it made the egg shell white better to look at... .
    Well one day I returned home from work and Dh announced that he didn't understand why I had a difficult time getting Ds to eat the teething cookies because he ate must of the box for him. Turned out the teething cookies were the dogs "cookies" you know the one that are square.. Its no wonder the dog was wimpering when I came home he thought he was getting a cookie.. Oh Ds loved those cookies and continued to teeth on them ( I called the Dr to ask if they were ok and he said if I knew how many kids teeth on those... and yes they were safe for my kid.)...
    Every n then he will ask for one...
    Friend of bar .ka

I'm not going to lie... Beggin' Strips and Pupperoni smell absolutely delicious. I've never tried them though.

When I was little I loved eating Kibbles N Bits. Only the orange pieces though.
    And also when I was little my parents had caviar. They told me they were little seeds that were really good so that I would eat it. I ate a spoonful and then they told me what it really was haha.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

A friend of my brother would come over and raid the Milkbones too. They were the really big ones too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I love this thread! My daughter eats horse cookies all the time... she's 10 and refuses to give them up. I think it's the Apples N Oats brand? The sort of pellet shaped ones. She claims they taste like Cheerios but better

I ate horse food as a kid--pellets only, 'cause I could.

I used to snag a snack of sweet feed out of the grain cart when I was a kid. It wasn't half bad.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mom was having a buffet one year
    She needed to fill up the cat food (think cheap dry food) and my mom likes to feed everyone and everything in fancy bowls. She was setting the table and got distracted on what she was doing and placed the cat food on the buffet table. My grandmother came over early to help and starts nibbling on some finger foods on the table. A few minutes goes by and she says to my mom, "this trail mix is really good!!" My mom laughs, "That is NOT trail mix!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Salt brulee...who knew salt can look just like sugar if you torch it. To this day I still can't order creme brulee!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

I work at a pet store, you name it, I've tried it! Dog treats, crickets/mealworms, brine shrimp, etc. At the end of the day when we're hungry and close to closing, we totally snack on OMH dental or low fat treats.

I had a customer who's son liked to chew buy bully sticks. I figure it can't hurt him.

When I was little, my mom was reading to my brother and I in his bedroom when my dad came to the doorway, picking something out of his teeth. He then said, "I don't care for that pâté in the fridge. Its quite gritty, and the mesh wrapper gets in the way." My mom stared at him for a moment before bursting out laughing, right to the point of tears. When she finally got it together, she told him it was a suet ball for birds.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

I had an assistant trainer that loves Mrs. Pastures cookies. If we went to the show office and got the free packs, he would steal our horses if we didn't get one for him. We pointed out that it clearly says not for human consumption on it, but he didn't care.