The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Preggo's, check in!

I can't find the thread from last OT day.

How is everybody feeling?

I'm plugging along here, at about 20 weeks. Still shuffling around bareback on my mare, but not really doing much more than that since it sets off BH contractions that we want to avoid. Docs finally got the HG under control, so now it's more like persistent sea sickness. Gained back 1 whole pound! My first was way too easy and I'm pretty sure I'm paying for it this time around!

How about everybody else? I know we have a few incubating future COTHers. Candle, did you manage to have your baby NOT in the Head of the Lake at Rolex?
    Last edited by Superminion; May. 24, 2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Me! trucking along at 11 weeks. This is a total surprise for us, and our first child. I am feeling very unprepared and VERY scared. More like a wreck. Feel fine, didn't have many symptoms at all. I've always been a picky eater, I'm even more picky now. DH is so happy, he always has been my anchor.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I have less than a week to go. Did a massive Sam's Club stock up yesterday, it involved a flatbed cart and a regular cart. Thank God I ran into another dairy farmer at check out and he pushed the one cart out and helped me load all the cases of drinks, TP, plates, food etc.

I am extremely low class and don't suffer from morning sickness or anything, haven't puked in 3 pregnancies. Always work outside until the day I deliver. The only thing going on that is driving me crazy is my arms falling sleep at night, even the one on top! So I have to roll over a lot.

At my check up Thursday I was informed by the midwife I probably won't make due date, DD's head is in my pelvis, ready to come on down! Easily felt when they did a pelvic.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    I have less than a week to go. Did a massive Sam's Club stock up yesterday, it involved a flatbed cart and a regular cart. Thank God I ran into another dairy farmer at check out and he pushed the one cart out and helped me load all the cases of drinks, TP, plates, food etc.

I am extremely low class and don't suffer from morning sickness or anything, haven't puked in 3 pregnancies. Always work outside until the day I deliver. The only thing going on that is driving me crazy is my arms falling sleep at night, even the one on top! So I have to roll over a lot.

At my check up Thursday I was informed by the midwife I probably won't make due date, DD's head is in my pelvis, ready to come on down! Easily felt when they did a pelvic.
    Good luck when it's go time, rustbreeches. Jingling for no complications!

Life was totally smooth sailing with my first. I worked doing chores right up until D-Day with DD... totally credit my easy l&d on that. You are one tough cookie to brave Sam's Club, I don't think I could handle it when I'm not pregnant!

I have the same problem with my arms too. It's the most maddening thing.

I milked and helped with other chores on a dairy farm for a few years though high school, to supplement my horsey budget... I miss it!

Hugs, Katy9532. Our first was a surprise! PM me if you want to talk!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

I am about 30 seconds pregnant. 5 weeks tomorrow. Have no idea how to handle two kids. The newborn phase was so intense and my 17 month old is a full time job. Not sure how to do both together! But very excited anyway.

Congrats keepthelegend!!!

Thanks Superminion! Hoping I actually make it to the hospital, we pulled in to the parking lot with #2 in the nick of time, labor was a grand total of 4 hours, but not painful until the last half hour. DH is great at pulling calves, but if he comes at me with chains and the calf jack, I'll kill him!! Having a dairy is a blast because we can literally take the kids to work every day with us. When DD was little and it was cold while I was feeding calves I would tuck her in a hutch with a little one to hand feed so they were both warm and out of the wind

11 weeks left to go. Carpal tunnel on my hand that hasn't been done has been miserable. Found a brace in our supermarket pharmacy specifically designed for night time use. It's helped a TON! Still doing my chores at home and just started working a dressage barn after I got fired from the tack shop were I was working. Still don't think I deserved that. Any way, still riding periodically, going to have to go down to walk only pretty soon.
    Anybody else feel awkward about registering for the baby shower?
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Not doing a baby shower for this one. I literally had everything except diapers and we are going the cloth route. Plus, I really didn't have time for one. Our weekends have been sooooo busy for the past few months.

It is really nice for first babies, or if there is a big age gap. Don't feel weird registering. Talk to mom friends, and take one with you, because the master list places give you has tons of useless crap on it.

Register for Size 2 diapers and larger. Everybody buys the NB or Sz 1 and then you are stuck with unopened packages and no big diapers.

Register for larger onesies and outfits as well. Especially if you think you are having a larger baby

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Register for Size 2 diapers and larger. Everybody buys the NB or Sz 1 and then you are stuck with unopened packages and no big diapers.

Register for larger onesies and outfits as well. Especially if you think you are having a larger baby
    I'm glad you posted this, it is good information for me! (Since I have no clue what to expect!)

I have also heard to make sure you get a forehead scanner thermometer thing.

All my close girlfriends are either on the show circuit or live out of state. I'm not sure who will throw me a baby shower. Do I ask someone to, or just have my mom put it together? DH's friends all have wives that live close, but I'm not super close to those wives.

Also won't hurt to pick up a small thing of preemie diapers and an outfit or two. DD was 6 lbs and had no clothes that fit.

I don't know if you are planning on breastfeeding or not, but if you are, take a class. Really. Luckily I had generations of breastfeeding pros coaching me through the first six weeks. If not I probably would have quit. I'm glad I stuck it out, because it really was soooo easy, especially at night.

My best investment was my Ergo. Pricey, but allowed me to get right back to the barn. ;-) f
    Try a few on to find the best fit/style. Also, jogging stroller is best for barn terrian.

Oooh can I join in?

19 weeks on Wednesday with our first baby. Like Katy9532 it's all very new and exciting and weird. I'm kind of getting used to it all by now though The emotional breakdowns are fairly entertaining after the fact and maybe not to those who get to witness them.

I am starting to look at cribs - any favorites?

It's good to know there are few of you out there too! Good luck Rustbreeches! Maybe I'll see you back on MFP in December - I've been very slack this past year, but will be wanting to get back into riding shape after baby's joined us.

I am still riding, just not very well, but my horse is being an absolute saint and taking great care of me.

Congrats first time mamas!!

DD is 10 and I have a beautiful cherry sleigh crib that I used for she and DS, so reusing that one. It is the old now illegal drop rail, but it is still in amazing condition, and I bag and tag all th eparts when I disassemble. We don't use it that much, we bed share and both the others were excellent climbers, and very tall, so the crib was out by one year.

Congrats all! Some registering tips:

Keep tags on and don't wash everything, just what you think you need right away. Things you buy may be the wrong size, or wrong season when you need them. My six week old was 9 lbs 4 oz. and was too big for newborn clothes immediately.

Buy sleepers with zippers, not snaps. It might seem like no big deal, but getting a million snaps to line up at 3 a.m. When you haven't slept more than an hour at a time for a month is no easy feat. Snaps also appear to torture dads more than moms, according to my DH.

You don't need shoes until they walk.

Those forehead thermometers are great for toddlers but not reliable for infants. You need one you stick under an armpit. Have one BEFORE you come home from the hospital. I did not and ended up needing one the first night. I had to use the horse one that had been previously used, ahem, the way you use horse thermometers. Not my best parenting moment. I did try to wash it well.

I have an ergo but find it sucks for infants. Both mine preferred the baby Bjorn as infants. Older son began to love the ergo at 6 months, about when he weighed enough my back couldn't handle the Bjorn.

Aden and Anais muslin blankets rock. Have 6 million receiving blankets. I go through more than you can imagine as this baby is a spitter.

Love my boppy pillow for nursing. Baby is propped on it now while I am on the iPad. Line it with receiving blankets if you get a spitter to reduce washings (see above).

Even if you plan to breast feed, keep the formula samples your OB gives out for emergencies. I needed it briefly the first night at home when milk started to come in, my baby refused to latch and he screamed for 8 hours straight. That 2 oz. of formula kept us out of the ER that night. Baby learned to nurse fine eventually and didn't need any more formula after a couple of days and a total of 6 oz., but still..I was so glad I didn't throw it away. I did not have the same problems nursing my first so did not expect to need it.

For BFing, Before you leave the hospital, have a breast pump and the number of a good lactation consultant. Also, the kellymom website is a great resource, if a bit preachy. don't let anyone make you feel bad if you struggle...I don't know anyone who didn't at first. Most sorted it out but some didn't and their babies are healthy and happy on formula.

Don't register for a lot of the same kind of bottle and paci. My babies had strong and different preferences for each, and you don't want to end up with a lot of one kind your baby rejects. Instead, register for 1-2 of several different kinds. Buy more once you know what baby will use.

Finally, Halo Sleepsacks with the swaddle Velcro rock. So much better than swaddle blankets if you have a Houdini baby who gets free easily.

A cradle swing and a bouncy chair are nice too, so you can set baby down for a few minutes to cook, etc.

Hope that helps!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm 31 weeks along with my first. So far it's been pretty easy sailing. I'm starting to feel pretty big now, and I keep hitting my belly on things, not thinking I'm as big as I actually am. I do miss having a waist!

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post

Even if you plan to breast feed, keep the formula samples your OB gives out for emergencies. I needed it briefly the first night at home when milk started to come in, my baby refused to latch and he screamed for 8 hours straight. That 2 oz. of formula kept us out of the ER that night. Baby learned to nurse fine eventually and didn't need any more formula after a couple of days and a total of 6 oz., but still..I was so glad I didn't throw it away. I did not have the same problems nursing my first so did not expect to need it.

For BFing, Before you leave the hospital, have a breast pump and the number of a good lactation consultant. Also, the kellymom website is a great resource, if a bit preachy. don't let anyone make you feel bad if you struggle...I don't know anyone who didn't at first. Most sorted it out but some didn't and their babies are healthy and happy on formula.
    My baby did the same thing with not latching - you can also try nipple shields. They are shaped like a bottle nipple and really help. Total lifesavers for me!

Yes, a nipple shield was how I got him latching again, but he did not transfer well with it so I had to pump and supplement a little to get him through. He has a high palate so once he got bigger all the problems disappeared. It just took a few sucky weeks for him to grow into BFing.

22.5 weeks here! I am feeling great aside from the knife in my spine. My masseuse and chiropractor are my friends. Other than that, I've had a very uneventful pregnancy. No morning sickness, lots of exhaustion in my first trimester though.

Still riding a bit, but trotting is difficult. Maybe I'll just walk and canter. My boy is pretty good, but I had to do the barn this weekend while my BO was away and hauling hay just isn't as easy as it used to be!

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

No longer pregnant, as wee girlie (kiddo #4) arrived happy and healthy earlier this month! So happy to be done after 38 weeks of hyperemesis when I'd had 3 easy pregnancies before. And very much looking forward to getting back on a horse next week - I'd have been on earlier but had some tearing that is only now feeling better.

Congrats to everyone expecting!

2 members found this post helpful.

18 weeks here with our first. The first 12 weeks were horrific. I was pretty vocal to my husband one and done! I was nearly non functional. I thought the nausea and vomitting were over but this morning has not been a good morning. At least the exhaustion has alleviated.

I was preparing to let my horse sit and hang out, but he told me pretty quick that he preferred to have job. So, he went out on a free lease on Saturday and it really could not of been a better home or opportunity for both horse and new rider. While there is always some sadness associated with that, It is a relief and one less thing to worry about!

Now we just need to get our house listed and sold and life will be good. Yes, lots of changes for us this year!!

Good luck to everyone !!