The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oh, findeight, I agree. Not complaining about the cost and very glad to have show farriers available! I just laughed a little when I read the question about whether or not it costs the owner anything, because it sure does! The horse I mentioned went in eggbars/pads, hooves largely made of epoxy. He was not easy to shoe or to keep shoes on, so we paid a lot for his feet generally. I'm sure his extra needs were part of the cost. I did win the class in which he pulled the second shoe (in middle of last line), so I was very happy to have had the opportunity to compete. Wouldn't have been able to do it if the farrier hadn't been there to put the first one back on!

I have never ridden with a loose shoe. If the shoe comes off the horse is not as balanced so I also have never ridden a horse missing a show. I just have never needed to ride so much to take that risk.

At a show, the farrier is "on call" for us but the last time I had to use one at a show I waited 8 hours and paid him.

If the shoe is off, and the footing is good, no problem, unless you are riding a horse that just can't be shoeless. If the shoe is loose and dangly, I'd rather get it off than to try riding in it. Too many chances of it twisting and the horse stepping on a nail or doing some other foolish thing in the process of losing it.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderWriter View Post
    I have a relevant question: is there any problem riding a horse, walk only on a gentle trail (grass and dirt), when he's missing one shoe? Horse pulled shoe yesterday and of course farrier not available until Tuesday. Friend and I scheduled to meander around her farm on her horses today.
    Probably a silly question. But in this case would you pull the other shoe so the horse is equally balanced in the front or rear???

I once finished an XC course with only two shoes on the horse. His feet were fine, but I'm still not quite sure how he managed to pull a front and hind shoe on opposite sides.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

There is no balance issue for a horse missing a normal horse shoe. If the horse has good feet and the other shoes are tight the horse should be fine for turn out and/or some riding. (There is no reason to pull any other shoes unless they are loose also). I wouldn't go riding it over a bunch of rocks or other rough terrain or have a big jump school. But, I wouldn't pull up mid course at a show for a lost shoe either.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Yes, the horse owner pays and it costs a FORTUNE. The horse I mentioned above actually pulled two shoes at one show once. Went in ring, pulled one front shoe. Got that one put back on, went back in for another class. Pulled the OTHER front shoe. Scratched from the hack, got the other shoe tacked back on, and called it a day. I don't recall exactly how much it cost (was in the mid-90s), but I believe it was in the hundreds.

And the show farrier typically PAYS the show a percentage of all work performed. Like the vendors so, yeah, you asked for the service instead of scratching and taking it home so you pay

and now I know!

But this question, despite the title, was actually asking about a school horse presented to her for a riding lesson with an obviously loose shoe. Answer on that is probay no .

I don't pull up mid course with a thrown shoe either, not in a nice sand ring with 3 jumps left. Actually, if the ring guy doesn't hand it to me at the out gate, I usuly never know it came off. But we don't start the course that way.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.