The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I love my eyebrows, and it was a real shock to me when they started going nuts. They are thinning at one end, and going wiry at the other! And grey! ELF makes a decent (cheap) brow wax/powder kit as well (not as good as the benefit, but not bad, either). For pencils Revlon has a combo pencil/mascara type thing that is a perfect color. I swoop the unruly hairs up with an old clean mascara wand and trim them, then fill in the bare spots, then neaten with wax. WAY too much trouble for everyday, but when I'm wearing a little makeup it frames my eyes much better.

I seem to recall that when eyebrows thin out near one end (forget whether it's the ear side or the nose side) that can sometimes be a marker for low thyroid hormone.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Yes, I have no thyroid (had radioactive iodine treatment when I was 16) but my thyroid levels are always borderline high (low TSH, in the sub .5 range, even). I don't have overall hair loss, either (that's another typical symptom) - the hair on my head is as thick as ever. But yeah, my endocrinologist always peers at my eyebrows which is kinda freaky .

I have blonde hair and eyebrows so have typically shaded in the brows with an eyebrow pencil (Maybelline). I once had my hair professionally colored to a strawberry blonde and the hair stylist dyed my eyebrows as well. Subsequently I had my eyebrows done some shades darker than my blonde hair. After awhile I decided I could do this myself and picked out a medium brown shade of hair color (Clairol) and started doing it myself.

Secure your hair away from your face. Smear vaseline over your brows and say 3/4" around them to keep the dye from staining your skin. Mix 1/4 tsp each of the two chemicals together in a Pyrex custard cup (or something similar). Using the glove to cover your hand apply a coating of dye mixture to your brows. I have discovered that I'm happiest with 12 minutes of dying using Clairol Natural Instincts 13 Light Brown. As the color fades over time I pencil in (also helps with thinning areas) until I'm ready to dye again.

Okay, well I have Hashimoto's and am hypothyroid to the degree that every two years we always jack the TSH numbers down with levothyroxine.

I just cannot imagine coloring my eyebrows. At the risk of sounding, er, off-color, don't most people have mismatches among and between their head, facial, chest (guys) arm/armpit/leg and genital hair as to color and texture? I know when all those applied I did. And nobody I ever was with cared in the least about hair color.

Why sweat the small stuff?

Seriously, has anyone with you ever told any of you on the female side that they even cared?! My recollection from long ago conversations with other guys was that everybody found the disconnect between the color of head and other hair to be remarkable. But nobody ever cared.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

My ex was weirdly obsessed with women's eyebrows. He had a theory (he had a BA in psych which mostly stood for "I need a lot of help but can't go into a master's program because then I'd actually have to GET it") that if a woman has thin eyebrows she's bipolar. So he'd "watch" my eyebrows (I didn't know this at the time, of course - it came out later!!!) to see if I was showing any signs of it. Thank god I got out before my eyebrows DID start to thin, because I have visions of him standing over me as I sleep counting my brow hairs!