The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ha ha ha custom boots, I'll show you!!

Bought an off the rack pair of real dressage boots in Dover's new sale. They just arrived! They were inexpensive and fit me perfectly! Not fancy, not blingy, but stiff, with a very comfortable foot! Did I mention off the rack and a great deal? The Ariats...
    So ha ha ha Dehner, and other fancy brands, you will not suck me in this year . They may not be fancy, but they will get me through!

Also got a boot bag, saddle bag, and some other items on good sale. I made excellent use of my gift card!

I'm sure they will fix all of my position issues, and also give me tons of courage. They are magic boots, I know it.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

6 members found this post helpful.

It is a great feeling isn't it? I also own a pair of magical "custom" ariats. Unfortunately mine made it to me very late in their life and are on death's doorstep but they fit like a glove. I wish you the best of luck with your magical Ariat custom-position fixing-courage enhancing boots.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where were they made? I love that my Dehners are supporting American workers in Nebraska. Not to mention they do fit nicely. I am not sure if I will try to get a stiffer dressage boot from them or try one of the European brands such as Petrie or Koenig.

But, I do have cheaper Mountain Horse boots that are probably made somewhere cheap!

Oooh in China. I do feel bad about that...but I think they are less than half the price...and while I would LOVE to spend the money on nice boots made here, I just can't right now... But my saddle was made here!! . Not busting on Dehner at all, just got these cheap . I would love to have Dehners. Did try Petrie and Koenig this week, and they were not in my price range right now.

So I've had these perfect boots on for a half an hour now...think I may need to go up half a size. Does the foot stretch at all?

GraceLikeRain, my field Ariats fit me like a glove as well! I will let you know how these work their magic
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I would err on slightly too big in the foot.

Lol-I just put in my new order. . Numb toes do not feel good . Looks like these will be going back . Thanks!! But still hopeful that the bigger pair will be even more magical!!

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Lol-I just put in my new order. . Numb toes do not feel good . Looks like these will be going back . Thanks!! But still hopeful that the bigger pair will be even more magical!!
    OK color me confused - which boots did you get?

Try Kroop Boots....made right in Laurel MD. I have both Dehner and Kroop and like Kroop better.....also cheaper.

http://www.kroopboots.com/
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Alto-same boots-ariat tempo dressage boots, but just ordered an 8.5. The ones i just got in the mail are an 8. I have ariat fields in an 8, but the dressage boots have a wee bit smaller foot, so I went up a half size. But same boots as the ones i ordered. And I have the same hopes that they will fix all of my riding issues! Just kidding

Pluvinel, I didn't even know about Kroop-and I used to live in MD! I went to their website; do you have stiff dressage boots from them?

Cheap boots are a false economy. Good custom (a la Dehner) boots will outlast several pairs of cheap off the shelf models.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Alto-same boots-ariat tempo dressage boots, but just ordered an 8.5. The ones i just got in the mail are an 8. I have ariat fields in an 8, but the dressage boots have a wee bit smaller foot, so I went up a half size. But same boots as the ones i ordered. And I have the same hopes that they will fix all of my riding issues! Just kidding

Pluvinel, I didn't even know about Kroop-and I used to live in MD! I went to their website; do you have stiff dressage boots from them?
    Randi Kroop will make as stiff or as soft as you want. She said [insert name of famous dressage judge] wanted to order dressage boots to be stiff like pipes....so that's what she delivered to a satisfied customer. I got to see the custom boots of a former Olympic medalist that were in for refurbishing.

Beautiful customer service. I went to their store, picked the leather, got measured by Randi herself, then went to pick them up where she did some "custom stretching" to take care of idiosyncratic differences between my right and left foot.

I believe is supporting traditional craft businesses in the US. My fear is that Randi may be the last generation here. Can't speak highly enough.....and I have 3 pair of custom Dehners.....wish I would have found Kroop earlier.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Pm me-would love to ask prices...I could easily go get measured next time I'm out there! Sounds like a wonderful experience, can't believe I haven't heard of them before having lived so close by. But then again, when I was a teenager and had a horse, I was far from custom boots!! We didn't even have a saddle for years! Can they make that shiny, glass-like leather? Not patent...

Equibrit, I'm sure they are, but right now I can't justify customs even to myself unless they are seconds, or used, etc. so these will have to get me through...especially with the $1k vet bill from yesterday (dog, not horse) which doesn't help my shrinking savings! I do believe in buying quality stuff, but I don't have credit card debt and refuse to start! In the past 8 months, I bought the horse and everything that goes with horse ownership. Eek. But if anyone has a pair of nice, stiff, 8 or 8.5 tall, slim or regular calf boots, lemme at 'em!

Kroop's prices

http://www.kroopboots.com/products

Suggest a simple (perhaps old fashined) phone call or even better a visit to their store for a face to face conversation. Will be worth your while.
    Alfred A. Montapert

All the way across the country-cant visit just now, but left info on their contact form. Thanks for the tip! Post a pic of your boots if you will!

They look exactly like these.....I don't like rock hard boots.
    http://www.kroopboots.com/images/pro...iding_boot.jpg
    Alfred A. Montapert

Great, Pluvinel, now I feel guilty! .
    Just kidding. If I can afford the boots, we will see. they certainly have a very loyal following and the boots appear to last forever.

Check this out: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=By5dS...%3DBy5dSOUJd_U

Give Kroop a call - Randi is very helpful on the phone.

I have Dehner dressage boots that are stiff. They are 12 years old and will likely outlive me. I went to the shop in Omaha and was measured by one of the Ketzlers himself, and the boots were much too large in the calf. They altered them, but I was definitely expecting them to be right the first time.

I wanted a pair of softer boots and was just about to order Kroops when my own magical boots appeared, a pair of Brogini dress boots on sale that fit like customs (Brogini are made by the same company as De Niro). First pair of off the shelf boots that have ever fit me, and manufactured in Italy. I wish they didn't have zippers, but at under $300 I could not pass them up.

Thanks, TrakHack, for another vote for them. I will at least check it out. They certainly have fantastic reviews all over the web.

Ok! After boots, surely there is NOTHING ELSE NEEDED! Please let it be so!! The bloodletting must stop at some point . You guys promised!! Well, not really, but...

Why would anyone buy mass-produced boots?.....take a look....like owning a piece of history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5dSOUJd_U

Disclaimer....other than owning a pair, I have nothing to do with AM Kroop boots....other than being a (very) satisfied customer.
    Alfred A. Montapert