The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Online USEF Town Hall Meeting, 6/3- Video on Demand Up 6/4

ETA: The meeting went from 6:00-9:20 PM and the video will be up at www.USEFNetwork.com on Tuesday, 6/4. Well worth a look.

I received the following email today from USEF. It includes some details about the subject matter, and there is a link to submit questions in advance.

May 24, 2013

AN INVITATION TO ATTEND THE USEF TOWN HALL MEETING
    JUNE 3, 2013 - 6:00 - 9:00 PM ET

In the face of overwhelming response from its membership and requests to host USEF Town Hall Meetings in many cities around the U.S., Federation staff and leadership opted to host a Town Hall Meeting to be broadcast LIVE on USEFNetwork.com on Monday, June 3 at 6:00 p.m. ET.

This interactive broadcast replaces the previously scheduled meetings in an attempt to provide greater access to more people across all breeds and disciplines nationwide.

"This innovative use of technology presents a unique opportunity to share opinions and experiences from every corner of the Federation," remarks USEF President Chrystine Tauber.

The webcast can be viewed at:
    http://www.usefnetwork.com/featured/...nHallMeetings/

The Fifth Third Theater at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington Kentucky has been selected as the host venue for this live webcast which is open to all USEF equestrians. Participation from every breed and discipline is strongly encouraged.

The panel of experts assembled includes: USEF President, Chrystine Tauber; USEF Vice President of National Affiliates, Bill Moroney; Chair of the USEF Drugs & Medication Committee, Kent Allen; U.S. Eventing Team Coach, David O'Connor; USEF Chief Executive Officer, John Long; USEF General Counsel, Sonja Keating; and Chief Administrator of the USEF D&M Program, Stephen Schumacher. The panel will speak to the agenda topics listed below and will take questions and suggestions throughout the webcast from a live audience as well as from equestrians tuned into the webcast.

To attend this event either in-person or via the live streaming broadcast, please register here.

AGENDA FOR USEF TOWN HALL MEETING - June 3, 2013

Welfare of the Horse in the 21st Century: Meeting the Needs of the Performance Horse in Our Changing Environment

Since its inception in 1917, The USEF has been dedicated to pursuing excellence and promoting growth in equestrian sport, all while providing and maintaining a safe and level playing field for both equine and human athletes.

Modern equestrian competition occurs in a dynamic environment where advancements in nutritional science, equipment innovation, and sports medicine contribute to higher and more intense competition.

In recent years, horse sports have experienced increased public scrutiny to both therapeutic techniques and medication practiced in racing. More recently, this focus has raised a number of questions about treatment of horses in the show arena. The Federation's Drugs & Medications Program is underpinned by a belief that restorative therapies are appropriate for horses in competition and this philosophy will continue to guide to the program.

A review of the issues contributing to the changing landscape of the equestrian competitive environment points to specific areas where the USEF has an opportunity to evaluate and improve the conditions of USEF Licensed Competitions.

Talking points breakdown into three basic categories:

I. Creation of an Over-Arching - Catastrophic Incident Protocol
    A Catastrophic Incident Protocol that will eventually encompass a range of, subjects from bio-security preparation to horse collapse, will be discussed. A "collapse rule" has already been introduced to the USEF Executive Committee and will likely be acted upon early this summer. The balance of this protocol will be developed with input from the USEF constituency over the balance of the year.

II. Introduction of a New Category of Rules - Prohibited Practices
    A new section of the rule book will be introduced dealing with "Prohibited Practices." As part of this discussion, another rule will be explained which would prohibit injections to horses twelve hours prior to the time a horse is scheduled to compete. This rule has also been circulated to the USEF Executive Committee and will likely be acted upon this summer. Like the Catastrophic Incident Protocol, the balance of the prohibited practices would be discussed, then implemented over the next year or two.

III. Responsibility for Performance Horses in the Sport. The Role of the Owner - Trainer - Rider - Treating Veterinarian
    Panelists will speak to the regulatory and educational initiatives underway to further advance the Federation's mission to promote safety and welfare of both equine and human athletes in equestrian sport.
    Last edited by MHM; Jun. 3, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Here's the spot to submit questions ahead of time:

http://www.usefnetwork.com/featured/.../register.aspx

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you MHM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Bump.

The meeting is this coming Monday.

Definitely worth the bump.

Also, I believe you do have to register in advance if you want to participate online. So, very much worth taking a minute now to do that.

If you know any folks in other disciplines, you may want to alert them to this also, b/c remember if USEF ends up revising the *General* rules, that affects everybody, not just H/J!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Bump.

The meeting is tonight.

Would be glad to join into the session however its at a time that this Worker Bee will be leaving work.

I don't expect them to find a time that works for everyone but 6pm ET on a Monday pretty much takes out the folks not on the East coast that have jobs.

BUMP!!!

Take time off from work, Blinky, I am...

Really, I don't think there will ever be a better time to make our feelings known on the issues we have discussed on this forum so many times.

Preregistration link is here. It provides space for you to ASK QUESTIONS and VOICE OPINIONS.

They can't know what we think unless we TELL them.

Please do try to attend.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

On a normal Monday I could have managed this a bit better. On the last day of classes with a test at 6:30 pm and office hours 5-6:15 pm (8-9:15 pm Eastern) it's going to be a bit trickier. Anyone want to do online office hours for organic chemistry for a group of nice, but grade-centric, pre-med types?

But I sent in my registration just in case.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Registered when I got the email and plan on having my DH feed for me so I can be on the whole time. Sent in questions and comments - we'll see if any of them appear. (My DH is so wonderful he bought extra gigs for this month to be sure that I can stay on the whole time and not have any wireless issues. He's so awesome!!)

Have signed up and will join when I get home. I do think the Town Hall has merit and thank USEF for doing it On-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    Registered when I got the email and plan on having my DH feed for me so I can be on the whole time. Sent in questions and comments - we'll see if any of them appear. (My DH is so wonderful he bought extra gigs for this month to be sure that I can stay on the whole time and not have any wireless issues. He's so awesome!!)
    Wow, that IS awesome of your DH!!

I pre-registered & asked questions along w/ my registration, then added 2 more using the form on the website today after some relatively frank discussions at an "A" show a couple weeks ago. I'll be interested to see if any of mine are used too!

The USEF has published a list of FAQs plus some articles on USEF Network. The documents are definitely worth a read before the Town Hall meeting tonight. I would imagine that some of them will spin off new questions.

I hope that everyone who has the time attends. Please make your point of view known.

Thanks!

Mary Babick

4 members found this post helpful.

I waded through the propaganda to get to an actual agenda. (Just why the USEF's (sic) history of caring about the horse dating back to 1917 counts as an agenda item, I don't know.) But I asked about the conspicuously missing agenda item number 4: Giving the D&M fines/suspensions some teeth. I think they sissy out by stopping at plank #3: Wondering who signs the entry form as the responsible-for-compliance party. Nice start, but not enough.

I hope others asked the same kind of question. We have discussed it enough here.

See you all there!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Haven't had time to review as I'm still at work but I'm planning to leave early so hopefully will have had time to review prior to meeting.

Just based on what mvp has observed however, I agree absolutely with mvp that it is WAY PAST TIME for USEF to stop messing around on the subject of fines and suspensions. I don't care how many of their Close Personal Friends they may have to set down.

It's impossible to express how depressing it is to go to a Hunter Derby and watch some poor b*stard of a horse falling all over his own feet hitting Every. Single. Jump. b/c some trainer has become overly close friends with Our Friend Maggie. It's ridiculous, shameful, pitiful, and any other negative adjective you care to apply. The Federation must not allow this to continue, and they need to do whatever it takes to stop it.

Controlling the drugs is just the start. Controlling the lunging and the number of classes entered is a loophole that will have to be closed. The winner of a recent derby in Canada showed in 19 classes . Was he a robot?? well duh!!And on it goers...

FWIW, I think the "prohibited practices" think is a good idea and..... a red herring.

It will be hard and expensive to enforce. It will be something the USEF can point to as evidence that they are Working On It. They won't have to hit their friends in the wallet where it hurts. My interest in that isn't about punishment, but rather it is about prevention. Before someone cheats, I want them to be really, really afraid of being caught. I don't see that at present.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Have y'all read the supporting documentation yet as mvp suggested? Over-showing, lungeing, and increased suspensions are at least *mentioned* in this one.

Like I say, now's your chance, peeps...

I registered and took the opportunity to ask:

1) why repeat offenders are not handed harsher penalties.

2) what's being done about the "loop hole"

3) what is being done with the judging crieteria to discourage the WP o/f we have now.

But I made them much more eloquently written than here.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

3 members found this post helpful.

Good. I asked the same, with the exception of the "loop hole" b/c Mr. Long answered that at the WEF Town Hall by stating there already IS a rule against getting your groom to sign as trainer.

I wish I had added that IMO that rule isn't strong enough and we really do need a specific rule change on this point.