The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farrier Makes Mare's Foot Bleed?

I have used this farrier three times with my new horse. I am a little upset with what he has done this last time but don't know how serious this is or what can really be done but giving her time off.

My farrier wanted to bring back the toes on my mare and get her angles corrected. She is an ex racer and does not have bad feet at all but just needs some tweaking. My horse has never had an off day or "bad" step from the moment I have had her. I've had her since late November.

When he came to shoe her this time, it was all normal and well on the front feet. Then, when he moved to the back to trim(she doesn't wear back shoes), her foot began to bleed everywhere soon after he rasped it. He replied saying that my horse had bruised her foot. I don't know if I believe this because my horse has not been lame and has not been on any gravel/hard surfaces and has had her feet cleaned every day. I'm not saying that this isn't possible though since I'm obviously not watching 24/7. She just wasn't off at all.

A day after he shod her, she is dead lame in that same back foot. When I picked her back up, I noticed a spot on the bottom of her hoof. When I ran my fingers over it, she jerked up and is very sensitive. There is no heat in the heel or cornet so I'm not thinking abscess but have her on stall rest and will soak just in case. Poor mare.

Have you guys had any experiences like this? Should I be concerned? Should I seek a new farrier? Opinions please.

Farriers should not make horses lame.

6 members found this post helpful.

If there is any bruising it should be visible when the horse is trimmed. My farrier trimmed my pony a little short once and there was a tiny spot of blood. She wasn't anything more than just a tiny bit sore, and he felt horrible about it. Said it should never really happen in the normal course of things and it was a slip-up on his part. FWIW. Seen plenty of mild bruising on my barefoot horses in the winter and when the ground is very hard, but never seen any blood after a trim other than that one speck on the pony.
    Click here before you buy.

He simply took her way too short. Should never rasp (or trim) right down to the bloodline. I would apply a poltice to the sole after you soak her foot. And, find a new farrier!

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought the same. I have seen a bruise(not stone) as well on a gelding with a light colored hoof and you can clearly see the bruise. He didn't bleed. The poltice is a great idea as well. I will wrap her foot up for sure. I want her to feel better.

The area that was afflicted was the very bottom of the hoof down from the frog. It was very close to the end of the toe. It looked like he had been working on the inside and left a mark. You can see where she bled.

I had someone walk her around at first to see what it looked like. Not every step she took was a bad one but she didn't want to exert pressure on the foot at all and would not stand on it. I think I will be looking for someone new. This man was recommended to me by a friend but after this I don't think I can let him shoe my horse. What really is a deal breaker for me is that he would not return my calls/texts about the horses' lameness. Horse has been soaking foot with stall rest for 2 days.

Blood? I would have went ballistic.

You might not want to soak the foot and make it soft, maybe you would want to toughen up the soles by applying Durasole.

I have never ever ever had a horse bleed from a farrier. I have had a barrel horse that would bruise his back feet pushing so hard off a barrel but we put shoes on when we noticed he was getting bruises. Yet, even with the bruises he never bled. I agree find someone else and maybe have them come on out and look at the horse and see what they think should be done.

If you say where you are located then someone on here maybe able to recommend someone to you.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

If it started bleeding after the first rasp or two it sounds like there was something going on before he picked up that foot. Even if he took her short in a previous trim I cannot imagine in a stroke or two a farrier getting through the new growth, past the short line, and into blood territory. If it is a single spot couldn't there be a chance she had an abscess or some other nastiness bruising and rasping off the surrounding hoof brought the issue to the surface? Maybe he is awful and hacked up her foot but the original post it sounds like there a chance it wasn't the farriers fault.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm located in Northern VA. Seen a lot of different farriers, but it truly is difficult sometimes to find someone that is a good match when you're just getting out on your own with horses and getting to know people.

This sounds horrific!

@ GraceLikeRain(Sorry I missed your post before) - It started after he was almost finished with it. Foot looks great. I think it was just taken in too soon. Need to bring the vessels back slowly, not lop it all off at once. You take them a back a little each time. Wasn't pleased that they got taken back so far and bled. It really surprised me. It's definitely possible something could have been wrong but this horse has been very sound since I got her and wasn't lame at all.

I'm sorry, that sounds horrible. I had a farrier slip with a knife and make my guy bleed once. Horsey was pretty sore and farrier offered to pay for Bute. He even stopped by once a day (our barn was near where he lived) to soak in epsom salt and re-wrap his diaper & vet wrapped foot. Horse was fine after a week. I retained the farrier and he never made a mistake like that again.

Call your farrier and let him know that she is very sore. Farriers are human too and make mistakes. If he is a professional he will appreciate the call and try to make it right.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Can you take pictures? In my small amount of experience, you would have to take off a lot of hoof to get to the bloodline. It's certainly possible, but I would imagine the farrier would have to be seriously incompetent to do that. I have seen a horse with bad bruising bleed during a trim.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Don't get too worried about a little blood. I've seen it happen quite often with barefoot horses in wet springs. Without consistent solid, hard ground to walk on, blood can come closer to the surface of the foot. It may not happen often in performance horses with shoes on, or in control footing, but barefoot out in the "weather" can lead to variable hoof conditions.

A horse can bruise their foot, be sore for a few hours while you're not looking, and then "suck it up" and look fine. However, when the next trim comes, that blood in the bruise may ooze out. And since it has been re-opened, it may be sore again.

This could also happen in an old abscess that has otherwise cleared up internally, and is just now coming close to the surface.

Don't worry about it too much. It happens. Soak the foot in some epsom salt and warm water to prevent bacteria from entering through the tiny openings. Give the pony a gram of bute and the day off. Don't fire the farrier.

Without seeing pictures we can only guess.

If he's got a good rep then it's likely an abscess that was about ready to blow and he just exposed it thus the bleeding. Could also be he took too much toe callous off but I can't imagine that would cause it to bleed from rasping. Now if he had been cutting sole away with a knife and it bled profusely that's an entirely different situation.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt but definitely discuss it with him.

I cant answer about the situation, but I did actually make a horse's foot bleed myself recently. He is a QH/TB that I was leasing and I was picking his feet. Beside his frog he had a funny indent and when I cleaned manure out of it, his foot started bleeding quite a bit, but he didnt seem to care.

His owner was watching when it happened and he had just gotten over an abcess, so thier perspective was that likely it was either remnants of that abcess or another than was waiting to blow, so it was actually good to have it bleed a bit. We cleaned it an he was fine, but it was a first for me, thus quite worrisome.

OK it happens. Hasn't happened to me, but my farrier came to barn one day and said he's quicked "Harry" (Houdini, the cute arab who'd wanted to be Cloudy's buddy at another barn) and made him bleed. While I'd like for my farrier to be perfect, he once actually put a hot nail in Cloudy's hoof years ago. Came back out at my request and reset and Cloudy was in the show 2 days later and sound. (Farrier was our farrier 2001-2002, we moved to barn which used other farrier, and then again where first farrier has done him since feb.2008.)

Would I be upset if my good farrier put a hot nail in Cloudy or Hattie or quicked them? Yes I'd whine. But he's been a good farrier all these years, so I would say OK your mistake, don't do it again for another 5 or 6 yrs. He's not quicked Hattie in the 2 yrs I've had her. Nor did he quick Callie in 2001-2002. Never quicked Cloudy, just the one hot nail, so that is good.

Now if I had a farrier who had horses walk off lame often (or all the time as the farrier my ex-BO had), I'd dump the farrier right away.

My first farrier when I was a kid put one hot nail in one of my 4 horses is 20 yrs; the other farrier from 2002 to 2008, never quicked or put hot nail in either Cloudy or Callie.

Yes I want them to be perfect. But I can tell the difference between a good farrier and one who quicks horses often.

Does he have other clients in the barn? How do their feet look? My guess is that it was a mistake, or he got an abscess that was about to blow anyways. Let him know that you aren't to happy with it, and give him a chance to make it right. I've had horses for almost 20 years and have never seen ones foot bleed unless an abscess was blown, or there was another injury.

If, OTOH, he has clients in the barn and their horses seemed to be off all the time, I would reconsider keeping him around. I just switched farriers because every single horse that my BO has that he does is dead lame (it could also be because she's is a senseless nitwit and 'trims' herself them between visits). I have one mare with amazing feet that I really don't want him to screw up and another OTTB with hoof walls like paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I can only share my own experience with my horse's hooves bruising. They are very white and tend to bruise fairly easily. I had a wonderful farrier, and he showed me a piece of hoof he trimmed that had a bruise in it. There was no fresh blood, but it was obvious that the piece of hoof was red from the old bruise. My horse never bled from being shod, though. She was also never lame from a bruise. So yes, an old bruise came up after being trimmed. But no blood was drawn, and no lameness occurred before or after.

Is she doing any better and is he responding? If possible, I may even consider getting a different farrier's opinion. Call a local barn or tack shop to see who they recommend

I didn't read all the replies, but remember people make mistakes. It happens in ALL jobs.