The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lesson barns for Chapel Hill, NC?

Hi all,
    This is a bit of a delayed cross-post from HJ land.

I have a current student who is moving to Chapel Hill in July and will be looking for lessons at that time.

She is currently WTC, knows leads, can support change of bend/direction, has some experience over fences (can put together a cross pole course, but we are focusing more on rhythm and position than height). She likes to work hard and wants to become a better rider - not just have pony time.

She is 13 years old, lessons 2x a week spring-fall (drops down to 1x week in the winter out here in bitter Illinois) and has some show experience.

Thank you!

She is used to private lessons but they are also open to semi-private or small group lessons. She is riding with me at a small private barn, but they would do just fine in a larger operation. Open to showing as well.

Any suggestions you might have on barns to consider and avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Does your student have a horse? Is she primarily interested in h/j or in eventing?

Burgie -
    Sounds like she might be a good fit in my little program. I have 8 horses and ponies here (and a donkey, but she's a supervisor). I teach privates and semi-privates, and take my riders to local schooling shows, events, and hunter paces.
    Getting my website back up has been on my to do list for too long, and is still not done, sigh. Feel free to browse my posts and or FB pictures, and pass along my name.
    July isn't the best time to move to NC, but I do have shade in my ring by 3:30 in the summers, and trails in the woods when it's too hot. When it's miserable we might just swim the ponies in the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Peril View Post
    Does your student have a horse? Is she primarily interested in h/j or in eventing?
    No, she does not have a horse.

She (and her mother and I) are more interested in finding good instruction than the exact discipline. She is intrigued by eventing but has no experience in that area. Personality-wise she is a brave ( but appropriately cautious) rider.

Jeannette is awesome! Your student would be in good hands there.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

You could also talk to Annie Nienaber of Nienaber Eventing. She's on Facebook and she's on this board too. She's great!

Annie is great. I would guess if she has a horse available fore lessons it would be south of Chapel Hill a little bit. I am north of Chapel Hill a little bit - so it could easily be a matter of geography what works best. I'm sure either of us would be happy to brainstorm options depending on her schedule, location, and needs.

(Oh, and thanks, Jen! )

You're welcome! And Annie's on COTH? How did I miss that?

Another option would be Kylie Barrows (also a little south of CH), although I'm not sure what she has available for lesson horses and she's having a baby in a few weeks--not that I expect a little thing like that to slow her down.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I can also vouch for Annie. If your student has some latitude geographically and if she wants to focus on hunters, she might also want to talk with Courtney Clayton who teaches out of Quail Roost and Southern Saddles Stables (both north of Durham) or Ginny Rollins at Echo Creek in Hillsborough.

Also in Hillsborough, but H/J, not eventing, is Cammie Fielding: http://www.pleasanthillfarmllc.com/

I don't know her well, but several people I respect, (e.g., my horses' chiropractic vet, farrier, etc.) have had children and/or horses there for years and seem very happy.

Jeanette -what is the name of your barn/how do I stalk you on faceboo?

I'm the Jeannette Ford who attended Mount Holyoke and worked at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Picked up a lot of great risk assessment, teaching and learning styles info, and familiarity with comfort, stretch, and panic zones through my work on ropes courses and teaching kayaking.

When you Google the name, I'm not the Christian missionary in the midwest.

Wildwood Farm is the name, but you're more likely to find the one on the west coast, or Julie Stenslie in Minnesota. Julie has been friends with Becky Holder for eons, so I know her through riding with Becky, but the naming is coincidental.

Oh J E A N N E T T E (2 n's) will get the most accurate stalking results.

Bumping this back up - they are moving Thurs.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Also in Hillsborough, but H/J, not eventing, is Cammie Fielding: http://www.pleasanthillfarmllc.com/

I don't know her well, but several people I respect, (e.g., my horses' chiropractic vet, farrier, etc.) have had children and/or horses there for years and seem very happy.
    That is actually where my horse lives (military husband has me living on the otherside of the country!), the horses have very good care, lots of turn out and hay 24/7 and TC feeds are fed. It is a lesson barn for kids, they do have a lot of fun and its very safe. She is a very good friend of mine and she has had my horse for quite some time now. They just got a cover on the main ring finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post

When you Google the name, I'm not the Christian missionary in the midwest.
    THAT is a hoot!!

Jeanette is great, btw.