The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beneflex

This is a pretty new product, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet. It's pretty expensive -- $60.00 for thirty capsules that you take once a day -- but, if it would help the arthritic hip pain that I suffer, I'd be really tempted to give it a try. You can get a 14 day free sample from the manufacturer.
    http://www.beneflex.com/
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I have a knee-jerk negative reaction to anything promoted by GNC. I'd love to be talked out of this weird prejudice, but I just got done with my round of H.A. joint injections (Ostenil) and am ... oh, wait, no can't ride for another couple of weeks, but that's because of a concussion.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Louise, can't your physician prescribe a generic NSAID to help with the hip pain? There are a lot of generic NSAIDs out there and they really do help. Heck, I've been on them for god only knows how many years.

You and I are on the same Medicare/Excellus health care and a 3 month supply of a generic costs all of $7.50. Considering the cost difference if I were you I'd first ask your physician to prescibe a month's dosage of a generic ($3.00 cost)and if it helped then up it to a 3 month supply for the rest of the year. If the first one you try doesn't work then try another.

This January when I saw my PCP I asked her about another NSAID and she prescibed a month's and I did notice a difference but I also had just about a full 3 month supply and script for the rest of the year for the one I'd been on for quite some time. I see my PCP next month and I'm going to ask her write out a script for the rest of the year on the one she prescibed in Jan.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

msj, unfortunately, I'm one of those people who can't take NSAIDs on a steady basis because they irritate my stomach. Plus, I would be hesitant to take any of those products on a long term basis, since I also take a daily dose of aspirin, on my doctor's recommendation due to the fact that I have already had one significant blood clot incident, and NSAIDs can interfere with the effectiveness of that treatment.

AllWeatherGal, would you mind telling me more about why you are unfavorably disposed to GNC and, about your joint injections?

Louise, I have a friend that has the same problem with NSAID's and has suffered from IBS but I think she and her Dr have come with something that does work for her. I'll ask her.

BTW, you did take the NSAID's with food as I presume you do with the aspirin because aspirin can also cause irritation/ulcers to the stomach.

I've never heard that NSAID's can interfere with aspirin treatment for keeping the blood thin. Just the opposite as any time I've had to go in for surgery, esp with general anesthesia, the Dr. has had me stop all NSAID's and aspirin about 10 days prior to surgery. I'll have to ask my Dr about that, but then again, she took me off the daily 81 mg of aspirin as she felt I didn't need it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Have you tried Flexoplex? That one is rated as the top joint supplement.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Original Poster

I can't get to the Flexoplex website, Coreene, as my computer blocks it as unsafe. It's only sold on line, also. Those two things don't give me a warm feeling about the product. Typically, glucosamine and chondroitin don't do that much for me, so what I was intrigued about was the fact that this Beneflex does not contain either.

You know, it's funny. I'd drop that $60.00 a month in a flash if it were for my horse. But, because it's for me, I'm having a really hard time thinking about spending that much money.

1 members found this post helpful.

You can get it on Amazon
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Original Poster

Tried there. It sends you to the vendor's website.

A friend at work takes it, I will find out how she gets hers and email you.

Have you tried a steroid shot in the hip joint yet?
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    AllWeatherGal, would you mind telling me more about why you are unfavorably disposed to GNC and, about your joint injections?
    I have *no* good reason for my weird position on GNC. I just have this feeling that there is a lot of snake oil on the shelves ... maybe because everything they carry offers a miracle cure.

I first got cortisone injections in my knees (both have lots of scar tissue but not a lot of synovial fluid after two ACL reconstructions on top of general arthritic deterioration). Helped for 4 days. The orthopedic surgeon I went to recommended knee replacements. I've known a handful of women in their ... well, I don't know how old they are ... 60s? maybe, who got hip replacements and suddenly were not only not walking with a hitch and a limp, but were back in the show ring and looking wonderful at 3rd level.

Still, I'm reluctant to give up most of a year of riding to recuperate ... so, he suggested I see how H.A. joint injections would work. I know we give 'em to lots of horses and they clearly experience relief, so I signed up (and so did my insurance). There are three injections, a week apart, and then ... improved mobility and decreased "discomfort."

I can actually do a 90 degree squat and get back up five days after the last course of treatment.

I am also reluctant to take GNC edibles at face value because of things like how they might affect my finicky digestion and possible reactions due to other prescribed medications I take.

I hope that helps.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I haven't tried this product but I don't like the label-too little information. For instance, what is the molecular weight of the HA? A lot of HA is too high mol wt to be gut absorbed. I have taken Source brand HA and felt a difference in my knees. Glucosamine-chondroitin did nothing for me.

The collagen-looks like they are going from limited research. There again, Source makes that as well. (I have no financial interest in them, just feel that their products seem reliable).

Same with the 2 herb extracts. I know turmeric has some anti-inflammatory properties.

I'm not opposed to alternative treatments at all (use plenty) but also what works for someone else may not work for you, and vice-versa. I do think that some manufacturers are more reliable than others and try to stick with them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Went back and looked at the Source HA complex. It has low mol wt HA, glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, type II collagen, vit C-manganese (Mn ascorbate). It was Osteo Bifex did zero for me. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

You know, it's funny. I'd drop that $60.00 a month in a flash if it were for my horse. But, because it's for me, I'm having a really hard time thinking about spending that much money.
    I can relate to that completely Louise. Weird, isn't it? I just spent $150 for a tub of horse vitamins, but only buy the cheapest/on sale for myself.

I haven't tried this product, but if they offer a 14 day free trial, (with no strings) you could at least try and report back.

I did buy a product called Sierrasil - it was too expensive for me to justify it for myself, but I bought a bottle for my elderly GSD and me to share. I didn't see any improvement in her, but I thought my joints were a little better.

For me the very best thing is yoga. Simple stretching, nothing too ambitious, but I find I move easier when I do it faithfully.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!