The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Nothing right now, but anxiously awaiting Stephen King's Joyland, which will be released June 4. I will be at B & N that morning, and you can find me in my oversized chair, reading away.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    I am reading, 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and I can't put it down. I'm looking for my next book already, hoping to find something that is clever, horsey and funny.
    Oh I agree! I could NOT put that down! Didn't like the movie at all. The Bolyyn Inheritance isn't bad, but IMO not as good.Also read the White Queen (okay) and the Red Queen (did not like). TOBG is definitely her best!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Oh I agree! I could NOT put that down! Didn't like the movie at all. The Bolyyn Inheritance isn't bad, but IMO not as good.Also read the White Queen (okay) and the Red Queen (did not like). TOBG is definitely her best!
    I completely agree with "The Other Boleyn Girl" movie not being remotely as good as the book. Waste of time watching.

Read in the past 2 months: The Night Circus, NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon, The Anubis Gate by Tim Powers, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, and Gone by Mo Hayder. All Excellent. Currently starting on Alif the Unseen.

I have really hit the jackpot recently!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain. A must read if you are a dog lover.

6 members found this post helpful.

One of my most recent reads was A Dog's Journey, the sequel to A Dog's Purpose. Both are absolute MUST READS for dog people.

I also just finished Brain on Fire, a memoir which was fascinating. I'm now reading another memoir, Glass Castle. Very good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I just finished The Dust Bowl - An Illustrated History - the companion book to the Ken Burn's PBS documentary. Very well-written, in-depth, interesting read on the worst (or one of the worst) man-made environmental disasters in history. Many of the vintage photographs range from nearly unbelievable to heartbreaking.
    I haven't read the book bacardi, but I agree, watching the documentary the images are simply unbelievable.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Luseride View Post
    I like the sounds of Scorpio Races.

If you like such I recommend The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and her Infernal Devices series. They are very good!
    LOVED those books -- I think Infernal Devices is so much better, though.

I also just finished "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett -- not only was it a hilarious take on the end of the world, but it did keep you on the edge of your seat wondering if it really would happen or if they'd manage to avert it.

I loved Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. It was in the "can't put it down" territory. I now am off to start The Mortal Instruments series.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

For those who love thrillers but want something a little different - The Queen of the South is an outstanding novel by Perez-Reverte about a young Mexican girl who gets caught up in, and then dominates the drug trade world in spain.It has been considered a modern day Count of Monte Cristo! I am including a link because I could not do it justice and I disagree with the reviewer in that I thought the characters are fabulous! I heard it on tape and my spanish improved a lot! Normally, I would not be so interestedin this but found a copy on tape and thought, "What the hell!" And I am soooo glad I did. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/bo...-in-spain.html
    I really enjoyed this book - I started it in Spanish, but started it over in English, as I was afraid I was missing some of the finer details.

I just finished The Big Rich, and would highly recommend it to anyone over the age of probably 40 or so, anyone that grew up in Texas, or anyone with any interest in Texas history. It starts off with the discovery of oil at Spindletop in 1901, and tracks the history and influence of oil and its major players through about 2008. As I was raised in Houston, I knew of many of the players involved, but very little of the history - I'm only 27. My mother, however, worked with, and for, some of those in the book, so it was extremely interesting to get her take on things as I read about them. The book got a little dry about halfway in, when the author was focusing on corporate details, but the beginning and end were page-turners for me. I'd give it 4/5 stars.

Am I the only one who never managed to finish Gone Girl?

I am trying to read a book a week this summer. So far I have read Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann and Gone Girl. So I'm not exactly burning through the pages.

Has anyone read Where'd You Go, Bernadette? I am thinking of joining my friend's book group and that is their selection.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post

Am I the only one who never managed to finish Gone Girl?
    Evidently.

I really enjoyed it.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I am about to start The Scimitar and the Veil--Extraordinary Women in Islam, By Jennifer Heath (c. 2004).

I have also been browsing through The Travels of Marco Polo--The Illustrated Edition, by Morris Rossabi (c. 2012).
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I love these threads - but I think there should be a rule that you give a critique of the book and let us know if it is H/R, humorous, sci-fi, thriller, etc.
    And a score for each book.

And readers who have read the books should also give a critique so we know if we would possibly enjoy it.

For instance, I'm not sure that Blugal's reads would be my reads unless it was horsey.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I am really enjoying Brian Haig. His dad was Alexander ("I'm in charge!") Haig but Brian, fils, is a GREAT writer. His main character is a wise-ass JAG lawyer, so its all military murder mysteries. Very very well written.Just read Mortal Allies and am rereading Secret Sanction.
    I love Brian Haig's books. I've read all the Sean Drummond books and hope he eventually writes some more. He was supposed to be working on a new series with Vince Flynn, but now that Flynn has died, not sure what will happen with it. If they had enough of the first book done, maybe Haig can go ahead and finish it.

Have you read The Hunted yet? It's not a Sean Drummond book, and as much as I love Sean, The Hunted, which is based on a true story, is my favorite Brian Haig book thus far.

I just finished reading the latest book in Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles. I love this series and if you're a fan of urban fantasy, I highly recommend it. You've got to read them in order, though, so start with Book 1, Hounded.
    Last edited by NoSuchPerson; Jul. 2, 2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: fix typo

In between studying for the last class of my mba (yay!), I'm reading A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I really enjoyed the first book and this one has been good so far.

The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold.

the world according to monsanto. very interesting and very depressing. a bit biased, so take with a teaspoon of salt, but so far her take on the pollution lawsuits is pretty accurate (from what i remember of working on one of them).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    I'm spending some 'quality time' in the waiting room at the vet school latlely. Janet Evanovich is helping me stay sane. Several of the techs and staff read her too and someone always comment on my book. Started with the first one and now am reading Explosive Eighteen.
    Her books are real conversation starters, aren't they? Especially when you start laughing out loud...

I just finished Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I am going to read the rest of the series. I've read at least one of them but it was so long ago that all I remember is the name of the main character, Hari Seldon.

Just got done with The Yonahlossee Riding Camp For Girls by Anton Disclafani. It was very good. Story about a flawed young lady and horses, both of which I love reading about.