The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I always love the 'what are you reading' threads, and appreciate seeing what others are reading, and recommend.
    Right now the pile of unread books on my bedside table is starting to tilt dangerously - but there is always room for more!

I'm on foal watch right now, and fall asleep after about one paragraph!

Thrillers by the Norwegian Jo Nesbo, as they become translated and available. You can NOT put them down!

2 members found this post helpful.

Just read Heft. Very interesting character development, but after waiting and waiting to find a conclusion, found none.
    I also read One Lane Bridge, the ying to When she Awoke's yang. Simplistic language use (the author is one of the Statler Brothers), but it had a sweet story.

Rasputin's Daughter-Robert Alexander. So far its terrific and I have his The Kitchen Boy waiting in the wings. I'm fascinated by all things Tsarist.

Riders -by Jilly Cooper. That was FUN!

Horseplay: A Novel by Judy Reene Singer. Cute light reading about a woman who flees to a German DQ's barn as a working student after leaving her husband. Not much plot and some inevitable horsey bloopers but the dialogue is quite funny, especially the phonetic "Churman" stuff-"FORVAARDZ!" "Churmany alvays sells der bot horses."

Currently I am re-reading Sense and Sensibility.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Reading A Wicked Snow by Gregg Olsen at the moment.
    Next up is Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I just finished The Dust Bowl - An Illustrated History - the companion book to the Ken Burn's PBS documentary. Very well-written, in-depth, interesting read on the worst (or one of the worst) man-made environmental disasters in history. Many of the vintage photographs range from nearly unbelievable to heartbreaking.

I just started The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Before that, I just finished Still Life with Elephants by Judy Reene Singer. It's definitely a lighter read, but enjoyable.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Hobbit. It's wicked lame. Why do so many people love Tolkien?

Quote Originally Posted by TickleFight View Post
    The Hobbit. It's wicked lame. Why do so many people love Tolkien?

"The Hobbit" is a children's book. Lord of the Rings was the masterpiece--for the world building, the characters, epic plot, etc.

Oh, and Heels_Down. I just finished "Age of Miracles" not long ago. It is beautifully written but sad. There isn't much of an arc in the plot or any character development. It just kind of is what it is.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    "The Hobbit" is a children's book. Lord of the Rings was the masterpiece--for the world building, the characters, epic plot, etc.
    Sure, but it's the same author and thus likely the same writing/story-telling style. If I don't like his 280 page book, I'm certainly not going to waste my time on something 1000 pages long. Sooo much deus ex machina.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleFight View Post
    Sure, but it's the same author and thus likely the same writing/story-telling style. If I don't like his 280 page book, I'm certainly not going to waste my time on something 1000 pages long. Sooo much deus ex machina.
    Well, while I will admit that when I read The Hobbit & then the rest of the Lord of the Rings saga, I sort of pseudo-enjoyed it. Uber popular back when dinosaurs roamed the earth & LONG LONG LONG before the films were made, EVERYONE was reading those books.

The problem for me was all those made-up unpronouncable names. Reminded me of reading Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky, where you end up skipping over so many names & places because your brain twists into a knot - lol!! And all the background history. Snooze fest.

I have been turning over rocks to find fun books with some horsey content. Really enjoyed this delightful memoir:

My Animals and Other Family by Clare Balding

The library also had a few others:
    Turning For Home by Sarah Challis
    The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan

Learned so much from The Sport of Queens: The Autobiography of Dick Francis. Esp the update written much later in updated version.

I just started And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. He wrote The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I have The Dressage Chronicles Book II waiting on my Kindle, and The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud on order from my public library.
    Sheilah

No One Would Listen - remember the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme? This guy and a few friends knew about it for years and tried repeatedly to get the SEC to shut him down.

Helter Skelter - story of the Manson Family murders.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I also really enjoyed Michael Connelly's Fifth Witness, which I think is 3rd in the Lincoln Lawyer series. The middle one, the Bronze something or other, was not as good but FW is a very good story. I like not all Michael Connelly but many of his books. Good, reliable thrillers for the most part.

OMG Helter Skelter. I read that back when I was really young (hadn't thought of it as being when dinosaurs roamed but if that is what the age of enjoying Tolkien is called, that's when it was) and it totally freaked me out. It was not very long after it came out and I remember reading it one evening in particular, home alone, outside grazing my horse...(back in the day when I did that, too, in sneakers, without a helmet) just so scared!! Bugliosi is a great writer.

For those who love thrillers but want something a little different - The Queen of the South is an outstanding novel by Perez-Reverte about a young Mexican girl who gets caught up in, and then dominates the drug trade world in spain.It has been considered a modern day Count of Monte Cristo! I am including a link because I could not do it justice and I disagree with the reviewer in that I thought the characters are fabulous! I heard it on tape and my spanish improved a lot! Normally, I would not be so interestedin this but found a copy on tape and thought, "What the hell!" And I am soooo glad I did. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/bo...-in-spain.html

I am really enjoying Brian Haig. His dad was Alexander ("I'm in charge!") Haig but Brian, fils, is a GREAT writer. His main character is a wise-ass JAG lawyer, so its all military murder mysteries. Very very well written.Just read Mortal Allies and am rereading Secret Sanction.

Also enjoying Jane Smiley's Duplicate Keys. Also a murder mystery which she does not normally write. And I like it. Also liked her Barn Blind (a horsey story!) and Moo (great novel about university life). Also have hated other books by her (1000 acres, 10 days in the hills, just unreadable!)

I finished Turow's "Innocent" the sequel to Presumed Innocent. On one hand, I loved it. On the other, a lot of things about it really, really bugged me when I thought about them later. But worth a read from the library anyway.

Currently reading:

Black Caviar: the horse of a lifetime by Gerard Whateley
    Only 3 or 4 chapters in so far but beautifully written. If you love racing and in particular Australia it is a must read. It has Peter Moody background and talks about a lot of the great Aussi horses/trainers.

Usually have a Janet Evanovich book on the go. On number 14 I think. Which reminds me I need to buy the next couple. Love the series. Fun, easy to read though do stay up way to late reading them. lol Also normally my book of choice to take with me when I'm opening gates for the tractor when we are feeding hay out to broodmares and weanlings. Usually read about half a book while doing that!

Anyone read the new J.K Rowling book? And Game of thrones- super violent or good read?

P.

I like the sounds of Scorpio Races.

I just finished Sleeping Murder and They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie, Claws and Effect by Rita Mae Brown, and Blast From the Past by Kinky Friedmen. I usually do not read many mysteries so this is strange for me.

I have read a few chapters of Silence, a YA novel that has Nepheliam.

If you like such I recommend The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and her Infernal Devices series. They are very good!

I am reading, 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and I can't put it down. I'm looking for my next book already, hoping to find something that is clever, horsey and funny.

Oh, I so loved The Scorpio Races.

I'm currently reading Mountain Rescue Doctor, by Christopher Van Tilburg. It is interesting, although I don't find the author a particularly likable narrator. I just finished Michael Connelly's Black Box, and as usual, liked it because I like Connelly's writing. I hope that isn't the last of Harry Bosch.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com