The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default New "what are you reading" thread

Starting a new one because I couldn't find the old one (the search function in this new BB format is useless!).

The last couple of books I read came from Off-Topic day recommendations:

One Day by David Nicholls - the story of two college students on graduation day, and their evolving friendship over the next 15-20 years. The story takes place only on the anniversary of their graduation day, so you get glimpses of their lives once a year. It was ok, I'd say a 3/5 stars.

Feed by M. T. Anderson - interesting dystopian story set in the future where the internet is now integrated into your brain - no need for hand-held devices. I liked the premise, but thought the story lost vigour about half way through. Another 3/5 stars.

Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - a YA novel about a young man and a young woman on a remote island who both need to win the yearly, deadly race. The race horses are water horses (mythical creatures) who eat meat and are dangerous to each other and to the riders. The author knows her horsey details/trivia, which made this book a joy to read. I really enjoyed it. Both characters are introspective and somewhat aloof, but the story develops well and I couldn't put it down. 4.5 stars out of 5.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I just signed up to be able to borrow ebooks from my local library. It's pretty awesome, but I usually have to wait for quite some time for books as they are often out. I will be looking at this thread for some ideas on what to look for.

In the last three weeks, I read:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (excellent)
    True Blue (David Baldacci - beach read)
    The Art of Racing in the Rain (great so far)
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

The Thief Taker- by Janet Gleeson... it's very good! I recommend it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I'm spending some 'quality time' in the waiting room at the vet school latlely. Janet Evanovich is helping me stay sane. Several of the techs and staff read her too and someone always comment on my book. Started with the first one and now am reading Explosive Eighteen.

2 members found this post helpful.

Reading Salman Rushdie's Midnight Children. Great story telling!

Most recent reads:

- Mudbound by Hillary Jordan - highly recommend!
    - The round house by Louise Eldrich - not her best, but good read
    - Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden - great read, just like his Three Day Road.

( I really liked The Scorpio Races too!)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

1 members found this post helpful.

I just started "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See.

Yesterday I finished Lisa See's "Dreams of Joy" and before that her "Shanghai Girls." I really enjoyed them both - and they need to be read together as "Dreams of Joy" is a follow up book. Without that one, "Shanghai Girls" is a bit disappointing but I highly recommend reading them both.

Before my Lisa See reading spree (I tend to find an author I like and then read all their stuff in a row), I went through all of Sarah Addison Allen's books which I LOVED. They're great, fun books that would be awesome for a day on the beach or an airplane. She's seriously my new favorite author.

The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer

Silken Prey - John (Camp) Sandford rocks the world.

I love the book threads! Thanks for starting a new one!
    I am currently reading River of Stars, by Guy Gavriel Kay. The other library books on my bed stand are: Dewey The Small-Town Library cat Who Touched the World, by Vicki Myron; The Big House--A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home by George Howe Colt; Making Toast, by Roger Rosenblatt; The Milagro Beanfield War, by John Nichols.

I will be happy to get even half of this read before they are due to be returned!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Just took a deep breath and dove back into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. My mom is reading the last book (#14), so I figured I would re-read the series since it has been a few years. Everything would be fresh going into the last book. This may take a while.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer
    I started the reread on that a bit ago. I'm finding it tough going due to how depressed I get reading about these people Thanks for reminding me to pick it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post

Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - a YA novel about a young man and a young woman on a remote island who both need to win the yearly, deadly race. The race horses are water horses (mythical creatures) who eat meat and are dangerous to each other and to the riders. The author knows her horsey details/trivia, which made this book a joy to read. I really enjoyed it. Both characters are introspective and somewhat aloof, but the story develops well and I couldn't put it down. 4.5 stars out of 5.
    This is my favorite book, I read it over and over again. I want to be Puck, and I want to love Corr. <3

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (excellent)
    True Blue (David Baldacci - beach read)
    The Art of Racing in the Rain (great so far)
    I just finished the art of racing in the rain, so, so, so good. It changes how I communicate with my dogs.

I didn't know extremely loud was a book, I know the movie was out, but my mom has not allowed me to see it yet, maybe I could read the book, I'll check Thanks!

The best books of the spring, and I'm a book worm:
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    Paper Towns by John Green
    Imperfect Perfection by Jonathan Sacker-we email each other on a regular basis, I have an autographed copy!
    Heaven is For Real by Todd and Sonja Burpo

I've mostly read term papers lately, but:

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. Essentially a girl who sees ghosts is a private investigator. Paranormal romance, not bad for a first novel but I lost track of the actual investigation.

Mostly I've been reading books about writing -- Thanks, But This Isn't For Us by Jessica Page Morrell, and Conflict and Suspense by James Scott Bell.

Started Inferno but haven't gotten very far yet. (Dan Brown, I mean, although I have The Divine Comedy on my Nook and intend to read it someday.

Believe it or not, "Reminiscences of the Sepoy Rebellion of 1857" by Florence Wagentreiber.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I'm reading The Volunteer by Michael Ross. It is about his experience as a Canadian turned Israeli (also became Jewish) Mossad Spy. Regardless of how you feel about Israel or Mossad, it is a fascinating insight into the world of intelligence agencies.

I'm also (finally) reading Edge of the Table, a book describing the lives of 14 youths as they grew up in the Cape Flats area, better known as the townships on the outskirts of Cape Town, South Africa. It is a gripping, sad, often horrifying, yet fascinating & inspiring look into their lives.

I'll be interested to know how people find Inferno. I could not get into Dan Brown's last book at all. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Rereading Dorothy Sayers. Peter Leone's Show Jumping Clinic.

The Psaltery in the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, for the second year in a row.
    RoanPonyMare

2 members found this post helpful.

Honolulu by Alan Brennert
    Kill You Twice by Chelsea Cain
    Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (Scorpio Races was excellent too)

I listen to most of my books. Overdrive app lets me check audio books out from my local library so I can 'read' while I do barn chores and mow. Just finished The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly. It's part of the Lincoln Lawyer series. Now listening to The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Review said ' The Magicians is to Harry Potter as a shot of Irish whiskey is to weak
    tea'. I'm not finding it very interesting and I liked the Harry Potter stories.

The Bonobo And The Atheist by Franz De Waal. Moral behavior does not begin and end with religion but is a product of evolution.

Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron. Names and faces stuck in the middle of the genocide in Rwanda.

I am finally reading "The Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. Fascinating!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller