The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Default Latex mattresses — who has one? What do you love, what do you hate?

DH and I really need to get a new mattress. The current one is doing the two dips with the ridge in the middle business, and DH hates it so much he's been in the guest bedroom for months now.

We were looking at memory foam (Tempurpedic) mattresses, but I started looking into latex mattresses, particularly the 100% natural latex ones, and those seem to have several benefits over the Tempurpedic ones, like little/no off-gassing and not holding heat the way memory foam supposedly does. They're also somewhat cheaper, though that really depends on the brand/model you choose.

The other issue we're running into is that almost no one in our area actually has one of these in a showroom, and it seems like latex mattresses in particular are more commonly ordered online anyway. Finding a reputable manufacturer/dealer is something we're a little concerned about.

I would love to hear from people who have a latex mattress, even if it's synthetic latex. What do you like about it, what do you hate about it, what brand is it, and where did you get it?

Thanks.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

We've been using one from Original Mattress Factory for several years now. Works great for us. I never really liked memory foam, but a lot of people seem to.

http://www.originalmattress.com/latex-foam/overview

http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/bedding...latex-mattress

Got one from these people five years ago and still like it.

Love love love mine! It doesn't hold heat, which is great for me. But the best part I that I have a severe allergy to dust mites and they are unable to live in the latex foam. I will never go back to another kind!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I don't have it yet, but the reviews and the fact that they custom make the bed for you after talking to you about your sleep preferences have me lusting after this: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dream...=IEWIAX8OYUYWS Our 3 year-old mattress is also doing the people-shaped-holes-with-a-no-man's-land in the middle thing. Not cool.

I think a lot of the conventional mattress problems come from two sources. First, almost all mattresses are pillow tops, and that means that you only use one side, and so it is worn twice as much. I think that's why it gets the holes, and channels that are so irritating. And second, so many things are not quality now, and many companies don't produce the same quality that they used to. I hate that the conventional mattresses are so thick that I have a hard time finding sheets. I bought some that are 22" deep fit, and it's the only one that I've found that fits my mattress, and it's only 12" thick. I found them at Target strangely enough, when the more expensive places didn't mention the size of mattress accommodated on most online descriptions. My last sheets (JC Penney) were supposed to fit mattresses up to 18" thick, and never stayed in place on the sides-really irritating, and wore out very quickly.

I've thought about latex or foam, but the weight of the mattress would be a problem. And I've read too many complaints about heat with the latex ones. However, I do have the latex pillows, and they have held up beautifully, and they do seem warmer than the polyester, or other pillows. I think the durability of the latex pillows makes them a great choice for me.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We got a latex mattress in 2009. Ours is very firm, which DH and I love! Its not hot at all. It is very heavy to move, but the two of us can manage it.

I bought my Savvyrest mattress about 3 years ago, on line. I was somewhat concerned about getting the right firmness without being able to test it out (the mattresses come in 3 layers with 3 firmness options for each) but they had excellent customer service and it turned out to be perfect. I absolutely LOVE my mattress and would never go back!

http://www.savvyrest.com/products/organic-mattresses

I got one about a year and a half ago and love it. It is extremely comfortable, doesn't change shape, isn't hot... I think it's a great mattress! The only "difficulty" is that it is heavy, but I really don't need to move it for anything. And the company info said it never needs flipping.

I bought it from this company:

http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/latex_mattress.html

They have the best videos if you want to learn more about latex mattresses and how they are made!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

what do they cost?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

We just bought a queen-sized natural latex mattress from Habitat Furnishings a month ago. (mroades, ours was just under $3000--we bought the foundation for it, too.) So far, so good. It's soft without being squishy, firm without being harsh. Our old bed was so firm, it was like sleeping on concrete--my joints did NOT like.

I've not noticed any problem with heat.

What's nice with that company is they have a 365 day trial period, so if in 6mos we realize it is no longer comfortable, we can send it back.

We considered Tempurpedic, but the off-gassing was off-putting. The things reek of petroleum chemicals at first. My eldest son and I have touchy airways, so that gave us reason to look elsewhere.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Wait, there is such a thing as "natural" latex? I thought it was a petroleum based product.
    Reminds me of Rayon, which I find very breathable and "natural". Then I researched how it was made - whoops, totally chemically treated.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Wait, there is such a thing as "natural" latex? I thought it was a petroleum based product.
    Yes, there is. But the labeling can be misleading. Some companies call their latex mattresses "natural" even when they have synthetic, petroleum-based latex in them. You want to look for ones that are either 100% natural Dunlop or Talalay latex (the names refer to the two main ways the latex is processed and made into foam) or a combination of the two types.

Dunlop tends to be firmer toward the bottom of the layer due to the way it's processed; Talalay is often softer than Dunlop but more consistent in its density.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by spotteddrafter View Post
    Love love love mine! It doesn't hold heat, which is great for me. But the best part I that I have a severe allergy to dust mites and they are unable to live in the latex foam. I will never go back to another kind!
    me neither-we first bought a temperpedic but the heat was insane.
    I only have a 2" topper on top of the tempurpedic--it's perfect now.

Won't know how I like ours for a couple of weeks as we just ordered it. My parents have one and really like it. Ours can be returned for any reason and so we figured we'd give it a try. Part of my motivation is similar to another poster - allergies to dust mites. Memory foam is way too hot for me. Latex you supposedly lay on top off, rather than into like mem foam, so should be less hot....will find out! Anything will be better than the current torture device that is our old and awful mattress.

I have a $65 Latex pillow from JC Penny's and I really like it! My mattress is eco-wool/soy and I am really happy with that as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 'summer blanket' as it were? My comforter is NOT a good choice here in Texas but I'm a bit of a loss as to what light blanket I should look for.

Check out the mattress underground for all sorts of info about mattresses. Brooklyn bedding and sleepez are two companies that get good reviews and have latex mattresses.

I need a new mattress as well—mine is 10+ years old and I wake up so sore in the morning. I've been looking on Overstock but have been hesitant to buy just yet. M grandmother bought me a topper but I have a feeling it isn't going to do much since the mattress is warped.

Ugh, $3k for a mattress and foundation though?! Out of my measly price range.
    Boston Strong

Founding member of the Wheat Loss Clique!

We are planning to get a savvy rest.... But would live to actually try one first!

I bought a mattress here, http://www.bedinabox.com/ in 2008 or 2009 and I really like it. I bought the one with a down cover. It was under $600 for a queen size mattress. I just kept my old box spring and put 1/4" plywood over that to create the platform memory foam requires. The box springs did not have great reviews when I was buying anyway.