The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

No Bluey, that is NOT what is being discussed now....just HSUS and their supposed favoritism by the IRS. What I'm saying, is that it's fairly likely that no one got favoritism, that the IRS is unable (due to budget and staffing constraints) or unwilling (for who knows what reason, perhaps to avoid a public uproar) to enforce the 501 laws.

Picture this...IRS goes after the Catholics for interfering in politics...what do you think will happen?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    There have been lots of complaints about lots of 501(c)3's that never went anywhere...like AC4H...does that mean that Lois Lerner protected them all? I personally filed a complaint against AC4H and Forever Morgans. Nothing. There have been plenty of complaints about religious groups as well...nothing. I guess Lois Lerner is protecting them as well?
    Well, you have just given me a great insight into how Alex Brown's so called Barbaro devotee page was able to get away with five federal level frauds operating, plenty of evidence of criminal behavior by the 501c3s and no one did a thing. In the case of Hidden Meadows, she allowed to starve to death at least 20 horses, carasses, skeletons everywhere, there was to be a federal tax investigation and that went no where. She eventually got a very disgusting $1000 fine or something like that, the DA in the county's case, threw hundreds of pages of serious investigating, posting of pictures, first person accounts, out the window before the people arrived with it, in a rush to judgement. AC4H was promoted there for the longest time even when it became very clear that she was operating as a dealer for the slaughter yards to jack up the prices. One case at a time seems like someone incompetent just screwed up, taken together, and then add into that the amount of dollars that go annually into HSUS, plus the ideological beliefs that were flooding the world with those millions, that could explain quite a bit.

Well, unlike Lois Lerner, I am good at math.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

No Bluey, that is NOT what is being discussed now....just HSUS and their supposed favoritism by the IRS. What I'm saying, is that it's fairly likely that no one got favoritism, that the IRS is unable (due to budget and staffing constraints) or unwilling (for who knows what reason, perhaps to avoid a public uproar) to enforce the 501 laws.

Picture this...IRS goes after the Catholics for interfering in politics...what do you think will happen?
    I don't think it is just incompetence, there is a deliberate thread here.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

1 members found this post helpful.

On May 12, 2010, Republican Missouri Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer wrote a letter to Lerner, expressing his concerns about the tax-exempt status of the HSUS, which is listed as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit group.

“The attached information unquestionably demonstrates that [the] HSUS invests a substantial amount of time and money in political campaigns and attempts to influence specific legislation, a clear and direct violation of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code,” Luetkemeyer wrote in the letter.

“I understand that you are not at liberty to comment on any potential IRS actions but do hope your agency will give thoughtful consideration of the concerns I have expressed,” Luetkemeyer wrote.

Lerner has been unresponsive to Luetkemeyer’s office’s repeated requests for status updates on the matter over the past three years.

“This was actually the result of concerns from constituents at the time that [the] HSUS was involved in political activity,” Luetkemeyer spokesman Paul Sloca told The Daily Caller Thursday.

“Since then, over the past three years, we’ve been in contact with Treasury, and with Ms. Lerner, on this issue,” Sloca said. “They have told us they can’t comment on an ongoing investigation, but they haven’t been able to confirm that they’ve even launched an investigation.”

“They won’t confirm that there is an investigation going on. They haven’t provided any substantive information,” he said.

“Considering the current news about the IRS, this is definitely something the congressman is definitely going to follow up on,” Sloca concluded.

By the time Luetkemeyer sent his letter to Lerner in May 2010, the IRS had already begun targeting conservative nonprofit groups for extra scrutiny, according to a report released Tuesday night by the Treasury Inspector General.

Lerner did not respond to TheDC’s request for comment for this report.

The Humane Society of the United States declined comment.

Anyone who doesn't see a conflict is obviously an HSUS supporter. Anyone notice those who are NOT posting here? Guess they haven't been told how to respond yet...

Sue Wallis' United Orgs of the Horse is a non-profit:

https://www.popvox.com/orgs/unitedhorsemen

Mission: United Organizations of the Horse is a mutual benefit nonprofit organized to work in the political arena on behalf of the well being of horses and horse people.

How about Dave Duquette:

United Horsemen
    Dave Duquette is an equine industry professional, a working cow horse trainer, who leads a nonprofit organization devoted to building a better future for the horse industry

So how come Ms. Lerner hasn't gone after them, if she is such a HSUS supporter?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Well, all I am saying is that is a very, very weak excuse, as it is obvious that there was way more going on than a poor little overworked office there.

We will just have to see what all comes out of this mess.

I know that agriculture and animal agriculture especially has been squeaking for long now that there are government agencies really making agricultural regulations and laws that are getting impossible to work with.
    Animal agriculture seems to have been especially targeted.

Generally, where there is smoke, somewhere there are some fires that need to be put out.
    I think the HSUS has been starting many fires out there.
    Hopefully more and more will catch onto that and remedy the damage that is doing to our way of life.

Vegans think humans can live fine without animals and all we get from having them.
    Well, they are wrong and even if they were right, no one has the right to tell others how to live.

If someone doesn't want to use animals, fine, don't use them.
    The rest of us, we like our animals and all the uses we make of them.

That's your opinion, Bluey. Many of us think the agricultural rules don't go far enough. That's why we vote in elections.

2 members found this post helpful.

That's your opinion, Bluey. Many of us think the agricultural rules don't go far enough. That's why we vote in elections.
    Exactly, do just that.

When laws are broken to get your way, then we have a bone to pick with you and all those with agendas to railroad the rest of us, as animal rights extremist have been doing and caught at it time and again and maybe here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Well, all I am saying is that is a very, very weak excuse, as it is obvious that there was way more going on than a poor little overworked office there.

We will just have to see what all comes out of this mess.

I know that agriculture and animal agriculture especially has been squeaking for long now that there are government agencies really making agricultural regulations and laws that are getting impossible to work with.
    Animal agriculture seems to have been especially targeted.

Generally, where there is smoke, somewhere there are some fires that need to be put out.
    I think the HSUS has been starting many fires out there.
    Hopefully more and more will catch onto that and remedy the damage that is doing to our way of life.

Vegans think humans can live fine without animals and all we get from having them.
    Well, they are wrong and even if they were right, no one has the right to tell others how to live.

If someone doesn't want to use animals, fine, don't use them.
    The rest of us, we like our animals and all the uses we make of them.
    Vegans do not eat meat - or anything with a face. No eggs either.
    The vegans I know love their animals - that's why they're vegan.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Vegans do not eat meat - or anything with a face. No eggs either.
    The vegans I know love their animals - that's why they're vegan.

Oh, good grief. did you REALLY just post this?!

You know good and well what Bluey is talking about.

And yeah, they loff their animals...so much so that they put carnivores on vegan diets as well...or donate to a raptor sanctuary, being mortified that birds of prey eat meat...

And yes, the PETA vegans who love to kill pets....at a rate of roughly 90% year, as official documents show.

Regardless, you should be concerned when people with a private agenda hold public office with a considerable amount of power and misuse such powers to further the agenda. That is NOT what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

And considering that the good woman is in hot water for her political misconduct, I don't think I'd take a bet on her innocence in the HSUS related issues....She got away with it for a good long time by now...

Just one more cog in the wheels that needs to be removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Two common misconceptions:

(1) Non-profits aren't allowed to lobby. WRONG. It is perfectly legal for non-profits to lobby within certain limits. From the American Bar Association website:

When many people think about nonprofits and lobbying, they might think of a relationship like oil and water: they don't mix. There is a widespread perception that nonprofits cannot lobby, or if they do lobby, they are exploiting some kind of legal loophole. The fact is that nonprofits, even 501(c)(3) organizations, which are the most restricted type of nonprofits, may legally lobby. Getting involved in the legislative process and having a say in policy discussions is not just an appropriate role for nonprofits; it is vital. If nonprofits are not speaking on behalf of their often-vulnerable communities, chances are nobody else is either.
    2. "Taking the 5th" means you're guilty. WRONG. The Fifth Amendment protects the innocent as well as the guilty. It's Criminal Law 101 that you cannot infer guilt from someone invoking the right to remain silent. (If you could, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the 5th Amendment ?)

4 members found this post helpful.

I will not be the least bit surprised if Laura, Disco and jghretire are indicted for supporting, harboring and encouraging criminal acts. Their rabid support of 'lois failed to lerner' means they support crime and are anti-american!!! There can be no other possible explanation for their stance on this issue. By they way, this issue may bring down the presidency!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Two common misconceptions:

(1) Non-profits aren't allowed to lobby. WRONG. It is perfectly legal for non-profits to lobby within certain limits. From the American Bar Association website:

2. "Taking the 5th" means you're guilty. WRONG. The Fifth Amendment protects the innocent as well as the guilty. It's Criminal Law 101 that you cannot infer guilt from someone invoking the right to remain silent. (If you could, wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the 5th Amendment ?)
    NOT QUITE SO:

Non-profits have to abide by very specific regulations to which kind of non-profit they are and if they want to lobby in any way, be involved in politics directly, as some do, they can't use general fund donations for that.
    They have to establish a special kind of non-profit for any lobbying, make it clear that is what any donations are for, disclose more, like who the donations come from and follow special rules.

Some of those are called PAC and non-profits have special donation drives just for that part of their business, something the HSUS was not doing, at least not that I am aware off, not in any mailings others and myself received, which makes anyone think they were lobbying with their general fund donations, which is a no-no.

Seems that when some questioned that, the IRS didn't do anything about it.
    Maybe now we can guess why.

Quote Originally Posted by 7arabians View Post
    I will not be the least bit surprised if Laura, Disco and jghretire are indicted for supporting, harboring and encouraging criminal acts. Their rabid support of 'lois failed to lerner' means they support crime and are anti-american!!! There can be no other possible explanation for their stance on this issue. By they way, this issue may bring down the presidency!!!
    I doubt anything "will bring this presidency down".
    When lying under oath didn't, remember Clinton, I think it is clear that nothing can touch "some" presidents, which is a bit worrisome, I agree.

I doubt anything "will bring this presidency down".
    When lying under oath didn't, remember Clinton, I think it is clear that nothing can touch "some" presidents, which is a bit worrisome, I agree.
    Well, while 'the buck stops here' I have my doubts the man in the White House has heard about this lady before now. And chances are her misconduct runs much deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Well, while 'the buck stops here' I have my doubts the man in the White House has heard about this lady before now. And chances are her misconduct runs much deeper.
    But here's the thing. She did mislead Congress about what she knew and when. But what evidence is there that she did anything else but that? I've not heard or read anything. Of course, multiple investigations are continuing and I'm assuming we'll have to wait for the results.

But here's the thing. She did mislead Congress about what she knew and when. But what evidence is there that she did anything else but that? I've not heard or read anything. Of course, multiple investigations are continuing and I'm assuming we'll have to wait for the results.
    and congress is only secondarily interested in the HSUS angle.
    and seriously, if you did nothing wrong, you don't plead the 5th...

and congress is only secondarily interested in the HSUS angle.
    and seriously, if you did nothing wrong, you don't plead the 5th...
    Don't you say.

Don't you say.
    I know, I am naive. The lady is as pure as the new fallen snow....

Are you freaking kidding me?? From the queen of correct information??
    Just get it right.

Oh, good grief. did you REALLY just post this?!

You know good and well what Bluey is talking about.

And yeah, they loff their animals...so much so that they put carnivores on vegan diets as well...or donate to a raptor sanctuary, being mortified that birds of prey eat meat...

And yes, the PETA vegans who love to kill pets....at a rate of roughly 90% year, as official documents show.

Regardless, you should be concerned when people with a private agenda hold public office with a considerable amount of power and misuse such powers to further the agenda. That is NOT what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

And considering that the good woman is in hot water for her political misconduct, I don't think I'd take a bet on her innocence in the HSUS related issues....She got away with it for a good long time by now...

Just one more cog in the wheels that needs to be removed.