The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default HSUS and IRS's Lois G. Lerner.

"In May 2010, Congressman Blaine Luetkemeyer of Missouri wrote Lois G. Lerner, director of the IRS’s tax-exempt organizations division, to inform her that the Humane Society of the United States—unaffiliated with local humane societies—may have been engaging in excessive attempts to influence public policy in violation of the rules for nonprofits. Over the past week in the growing IRS scandal, Lerner has emerged as an IRS official who reportedly had knowledge that the agency was politically targeting groups in 2010, and at least one Congressman has accused her of lying to him. And yesterday, it emerged that Lerner is an “active member” of HSUS—or at least was around the time of Rep. Luetkemeyer’s letter, according to her biography in advance of an Oct. 2010 speech." (Humanewatch.org)

3 members found this post helpful.

What is the point ? "may have" Where was the Congressman's proof ? Furthermore, a politician (the Congressman is an elected politician) should not influence government workers , especially the IRS to essentially do what they are accessed of in regards to the Tea Party organizations by telling the IRS to look into HSUS affairs. The Congressman abused his power.

Now watch those that defend the HSUS even when it is obvious what the connections are they have formed in government:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/16/ir...umane-society/

It is clear why they have had such a free hand for so long and are still using that to, eventually, eliminate all uses of animals and that includes HORSES.

We don't even know the half of it, but it is very clear that the latest administration has actively been fighting animal agriculture every chance they get, as in the new crazy MCOOL regulations, that are going to cause a trade war with every other country out there.
    When your own government is following extremist agendas, well, I don't know where this will end.

9 members found this post helpful.

Either way it could be considered a conflict of interest.
    Neither the Tea part or HSUS should have any undue influence on government.
    I'm sure there is a very long list of organizations that should NOT have a say in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    What is the point ? "may have" Where was the Congressman's proof ? Furthermore, a politician (the Congressman is an elected politician) should not influence government workers , especially the IRS to essentially do what they are accessed of in regards to the Tea Party organizations by telling the IRS to look into HSUS affairs. The Congressman abused his power.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where is the conflict of interest behavior of Lois Lerner in that paragraph ?

If she, as a member of HSUS has any influence on where the IRS looks - that's a conflict of interest - same as the congressman. All our government should be "objective". It is not.

Where is the conflict of interest behavior of Lois Lerner in that paragraph ?

7 members found this post helpful.

I assume "active member of HSUS" means something like, she sends them the $30 or so a year that they ask for in their annual pitches. It's like suggesting she can't oversee Wal-Mart because she went there to buy shampoo and paper towels.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

7 members found this post helpful.

But being a member of any organization does not assume a conflict of interest. If we only hire and promote individuals who have no interests that would be impossible. Most people can handle their opinions in their work.

I am more concerned about the actions of the Congressman.

My concern with her is this - if she is innocent, why did she take the 5th???

But being a member of any organization does not assume a conflict of interest. If we only hire and promote individuals who have no interests that would be impossible. Most people can handle their opinions in their work.

I am more concerned about the actions of the Congressman.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Most especially, after she testified to "defend" herself and then took the 5th so that she could not be questioned. As another attorney said, you cannot do this, you cannot first testify to give your side, and then refuse to be questioned by taking the 5th. I guess it is all water under the bridge, since she has been "retired" so that she could not be held in contempt of court like Eric Holder.

This administration thinks they are the law, the Constitution does not apply for them.

Here is a good funny one with Jon Stewart with the infamous Lois as one of the items of interest. Pretty funny when you have a bank like HSBC getting off the hook after being caught laundering 7 billion dollars in drug money, and the interest of the IRS and Holder when it comes to that.....that's crickets you are hearing for the answer to that one. By the way, just for public interest, Lois Lerner was heavily involved in the case of targeting of Lyndon LaRouche for supposed tax evasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxnw0ePhDp8

Oh excuse me, update, she refused to step down so was put on paid leave to the tune of $3500 per week.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/05/ir...557-69-a-week/
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    The act under scrutiny was whether she was involved in greater scrutiny of Tea Party organizations claiming 501(c)(4) tax exempt status. Daryl Issa insisted that the hearing would be used to convict Lois Lerner. She plead the fifth because it was an inappropriate place to place someone on trial. Her attorney advised her, as every attorney that assessed her response in the media said they would have also advised her, to plead the fifth. Lois Lerner is a government employee who actually has rights of her own. She could have had an investigation of her work performed out of the spotlight and that would have been a different outcome most likely. People have a right to not be on trial by politicians. Politicians have an inherent bias towards their own party and the politicians, in my opinion, had no business holding a hearing intent on trying a civil servant.

I'm not understanding why her HSUS membership anything to do with her. It seems that some anti-HSUS posters are bringing that into a current event that is misplaced. She was also called a "rabid vegan" by Fairfax as proof that she did something wrong. There is no connection in this event however. It seemed to be the typical way that some on here like to paint people who disagree with them as animal rights activists.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Most especially, after she testified to "defend" herself and then took the 5th so that she could not be questioned. As another attorney said, you cannot do this, you cannot first testify to give your side, and then refuse to be questioned by taking the 5th. I guess it is all water under the bridge, since she has been "retired" so that she could not be held in contempt of court like Eric Holder.

Here is a good funny one with Jon Stewart with the infamous Lois as one of the items of interest. Pretty funny when you have a bank like HSBC getting off the hook after being caught laundering 7 billion dollars in drug money, and the interest of the IRS and Holder when it comes to that.....that's crickets you are hearing for the answer to that one. By the way, just for public interest, Lois Lerner was heavily involved in the case of targeting of Lyndon LaRouche for supposed tax evasion.

Actually you can plead the fifth on any question. You can say what you want and plead the fifth and this happens in court. Might want to speak with a real attorney about that.

Funny but then again.........Gotta love Jon Stewart!!

This administration thinks they are the law, the Constitution does not apply for them.

Oh excuse me, update, she refused to step down so was put on paid leave to the tune of $3500 per week.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/05/ir...557-69-a-week/

To me it shouldn't matter which party or what organization - the IRS should be impartial.
    Her eating habits are no one's business.
    I agree with you that politicians have an inherent bias. So much so they've all gotten out of hand.

The act under scrutiny was whether she was involved in greater scrutiny of Tea Party organizations claiming 501(c)(4) tax exempt status. Daryl Issa insisted that the hearing would be used to convict Lois Lerner. She plead the fifth because it was an inappropriate place to place someone on trial. Her attorney advised her, as every attorney that assessed her response in the media said they would have also advised her, to plead the fifth. Lois Lerner is a government employee who actually has rights of her own. She could have had an investigation of her work performed out of the spotlight and that would have been a different outcome most likely. People have a right to not be on trial by politicians. Politicians have an inherent bias towards their own party and the politicians, in my opinion, had no business holding a hearing intent on trying a civil servant.

I'm not understanding why her HSUS membership anything to do with her. It seems that some anti-HSUS posters are bringing that into a current event that is misplaced. She was also called a "rabid vegan" by Fairfax as proof that she did something wrong. There is no connection in this event however. It seemed to be the typical way that some on here like to paint people who disagree with them as animal rights activists.

4 members found this post helpful.

Actually you can plead the fifth on any question. You can say what you want and plead the fifth and this happens in court. Might want to speak with a real attorney about that.
    You must have missed something here, it is not that you cannot for legally technical reasons, however, it clearly shows that she is avoiding being questioned. Why you may ask? If she had nothing to hide she would just allow the questioning. Get it? The people have a right to know what someone who is paid by them, does in their job. What is "right" is to answer questions and tell the truth and not try and obfuscate for someone else, clearly she does not want to testify so as not to incriminate someone else who ordered her to do this, her bias is clear. For someone who is in the IRS and cannot do a simple ratio math figure, clearly she is not there for her reasoning skills.

The point is that the congressman suspected that HSUS was violating the rules for nonprofits and contacted the appropriate IRS officer with that information so that the IRS could determine whether HSUS did or did not. So how is providing information about a possible rules violation morph into an abuse of power by the congressman?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaSting View Post
    The point is that the congressman suspected that HSUS was violating the rules for nonprofits and contacted the appropriate IRS officer with that information so that the IRS could determine whether HSUS did or did not. So how is providing information about a possible rules violation morph into an abuse of power by the congressman?
    When you are trying with all of your might to live in the world of denial about the administration of President Barack Obama and the innumerable ways that he has fundamentally violated the US Constitution, including impeachable acts. That is all.

Wow, backtrack much Calamber ? Lois Lerner is a civil servant and has rights of her own, regardless of what you "think". "Get it?"

And by the way, having members of the GOP think they can run a trial as a hearing is political overreach and the definition of "Big Government". Why aren't some of the anti-government supporters calling the GOP out on this ? This wasn't a trial "Get IT" it was a trumped up hearing and did not provide anything close to objective for Lois Lerner. How would you react to this kind of hearing knowing full well that those calling this hearing had a political axe to grind. Big Oppressive Government is good when the GOP is calling the shots, got it.

When you are trying with all of your might to live in the world of denial about the administration of President Barack Obama and the innumerable ways that he has fundamentally violated the US Constitution, including impeachable acts. That is all.
    You are joking right ? People have a right to plead the fifth-IT IS IN THE CONSTITUTION ! "Impeachable acts" well dreaming is free, education and knowledge well you have to pay for that. Nothing coming on a BB and blathering away about all you cannot understand.

I thought she was still on their BOD however I was wrong. She was a past BOD member of HSUS She resigned that when she was promoted within IRS.

when individuals are functioning at that level of government they owe and are owed "favors" by others.

Who knows...maybe a rescue that has been critical of HSUS or HS society's who were critical of HSUS were targeted.

HSUS has one of their lawyers as an advisor to the President on agricultural matters.