The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone in Montana interested in trying to give a TB a chance?

This thread is going on in the Racing forum:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...pleasure-horse

When the horse didn't turn out to be a good pleasure mount for the OTTB-inexperienced owner, the owner has decided to run the horse at a bush track and then possibly breed her. No idea if the owner will sell, but if anyone in Montana wants to try to do a good deed...perhaps you could try to buy the horse. I assume it will be run in a claims race at some point, although I'm not clear that the race this weekend is a claims race.

I did not open that thread because I figured I would not like what I'd read there. Having owned TB mares, and loving the hot TB mare, I cannot stand it when people get them with no idea what they are like.

I'd take her if I did not board more horses than I need already.

I hate it when people breed so many mares who are not wanted, so they can produce more horses that are not wanted.

It's the owners, not the horses who are at fault. And the horses suffer for having ignorant owners! Ugh! That thread should make the slaughter supporters very happy.

The OP originally posted saying that the horse won't stop, bend, or lead properly. She wanted to know what bit to use to turn her into a pleasure horse.

She received a lot of very helpful advice, but disappeared from the thread for a long time.

Reappeared yesterday to say that she has 35 years of experience with Quarter Horses (in response to several people suggesting she may be inexperienced and should work with a trainer), and to let everyone know that, hey, happy ending, she will be running the mare at a bush track this weekend and then probably breeding her (because what's better than ONE TB you are incompetent to handle? TWO or more!).

UGH!!!!!!!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I sent a message to her former owner/trainer.

6 members found this post helpful.

THANK YOU, Laurierace!

Wow, you're advertising a horse you don't own, have never seen, and about which the owner's given absolutely no indication she wants to sell or give away because YOU don't like what they decided to do with it and encouraging people to harass her owner with unsolicited calls trying to buy her and "save" her. And assuming she's going to breed to a TB stallion (she breeds QHs, according to her posts), for a racing baby, which she's perfectly entitled to do as it's her horse. And that she won't decide after one start that racing's not for her. WOW, that's arrogant.

Two seconds looking at the Equibase charts linked in that thread: the race is an allowance. Looking at the whole card, it looks like a track like Mount Pleasant Meadows up here--mixed breeds on the card, at short distances, for low purses and/or tags.

1 members found this post helpful.

For all I know the former owner may have no problem with what the current owner is doing but I know if that was me I would want to know so I passed the info along. Apparently the former owner is in Montana too.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Wow, you're advertising a horse you don't own, have never seen, and about which the owner's given absolutely no indication she wants to sell or give away because YOU don't like what they decided to do with it and encouraging people to harass her owner with unsolicited calls trying to buy her and "save" her. And assuming she's going to breed to a TB stallion (she breeds QHs, according to her posts), for a racing baby, which she's perfectly entitled to do as it's her horse. And that she won't decide after one start that racing's not for her. WOW, that's arrogant.

Two seconds looking at the Equibase charts linked in that thread: the race is an allowance. Looking at the whole card, it looks like a track like Mount Pleasant Meadows up here--mixed breeds on the card, at short distances, for low purses and/or tags.
    Thanks, but I don't actually care what you think about this. I DO think the mare is in a bad situation with an ignorant owner, and I do think it would be nice if someone in the area could get her out of that situation. The owner doesn't HAVE to sell the mare unless she wants to, but she might want to, as it sounds like the mare is completely unsuitable for her. Not to mention that if she runs the horse in a claims race at some point, someone might be able to claim her.

I'm certainly not "advertising" the horse. I'm making people aware of the horse and her situation.