The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Thunderbird BC Open May 29-Jun 2 - who's going?

Would love to meet some fellow COTHers as I'm attending the show alone. This is my first foray to an A-circuit H/J show as an eventer... and I'm competing in the hunters

Braiding yarn... check
    Tasteful coloured show shirt with choker... check
    Tastefully matching show jacket with muted pinstripes... check
    Knee-patch breeches... check

White wine... check

Pocket trainer... I wish!
    Last edited by Blugal; May. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: grammar
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Not this year! But I will be at Milner in July if you're there!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I could pop up to see you!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Sounds good Foxtrot's. I'll send you a PM. Edited - Foxtrot's your mailbox is full! I'm not sure if I still have your email address...

eclipse, I will probably be doing Milner, not sure what week though. I should probably check opening/closing dates!!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I will be there showing my horses in the jumpers, and a couple of other in the hunters. I was looking on showgroundslive and a few good FEI riders are coming, should be a good week!

I will be there manning (or womaning) the silver airstream trailer that is Skyline Equine. If you need bling come and visit with me!
    mm

Made some space in my mailbox. G
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I might come by to watch the first few days, but I have an event the 1st and 2nd, and will be hauling out the 31st.

I'll be in the 1.10 jumper ring on a 15h Connemara!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi all,
    If any of you BC competitors ever go South to Monroe, Washington, to the Evergreen State Fairgrounds, please send me a PM.
    Thanks
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    Hi all,
    If any of you BC competitors ever go South to Monroe, Washington, to the Evergreen State Fairgrounds, please send me a PM.
    Thanks
    I go to Monroe periodically and have several friends who live nearby. Anything I can help with?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I go to Monroe periodically and have several friends who live nearby. Anything I can help with?
    Sent you a PM for info.

Quote Originally Posted by normandy_shores View Post
    I might come by to watch the first few days, but I have an event the 1st and 2nd, and will be hauling out the 31st.
    Are you going to MREC? I have a friend competing there also... my sprit will be there even if my body is finding 8 perfect fences at T-bird
    Blugal

Just checking in.... So far no Cother sightings... But that could be because if the inclement weather. I'm stabled in the east temporary stables, #89 and 90. Did not break out the fancy hunter jacket today... Too much mud/sand. Forecast is for better weather the rest of the show.

just did one round on each horse today. Nothing to write home about... Where's that pocket trainer when you need it?
    Blugal

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Just checking in.... . Did not break out the fancy hunter jacket today... Too much mud/sand. Forecast is for better weather the rest of the show.
    Hi Blugal,
    What is the footing like in the hunter rings? Is it plain sand, or does it have either a foam/rubber particle additive (like Nike shoe shreds), or felt/ textile (like GGT)? I have been told that the main jumper rings have GGT - how do they look?

From what I remember (from just 2 yrs ago) the hunter rings are just sand. But, even in bad weather (and it rained a LOT) they were just great to ride in....no issues whatsoever. TBird keep their rings in awesome riding shape....love the place!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

They've redone two of the jumper rings (one is the FEI Wamrm-up) in the most jaw dropping beautiful and well draining sand/felt with a very high tech base. Very cool stuff to ride on, although it's a bit unnerving when you can't hear other horses! Footfalls are VERY muffled. The horses seem to love it.

Hunter rings are still sand but they drain reasonably well.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Are you going to MREC? I have a friend competing there also... my sprit will be there even if my body is finding 8 perfect fences at T-bird
    Um, I'm willing to bet said friend is NS's trainer... it's a small, small world!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Um, I'm willing to bet said friend is NS's trainer... it's a small, small world!
    Think we were talking about different people... but I can guess who you're talking about.

My first "A" show experience was a mixed bag... wish it hadn't rained so much the first two days! Luckily I had a $60 jacket which I didn't mind getting muddy, as well as a good one.

I met up with Foxtrot's but didn't manage to catch any other Cothers that I know about. myrna, I think you must have been in the silver bullet trailer? Every time I went by it was closed (but, I mostly walked by early AM and at the end of the day when things were closing up).

Also was great to see one of the horse's former owners, who turned out to be a great groom as well.

And now I present photographic evidence of my hunter braids... which turned out pretty well actually. I was complimented on my turn-out and one of the pro braiders actually thought I was "one of them"
    Blugal

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Plumcreek - Thunderbird's FEI Warm-up and Thunderbird Ring (equitation 1.10-1.20 jumper ring) have beautiful GGT footing.

The hunter rings as of August of last year are just sand, but they're very well maintained, never deep, never slippery.

This is a decent shot of the sand in their main hunter ring: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...72721632_n.jpg

Compared to the Tbird ring: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...34832582_n.jpg

(please disregard the awkward body position that I have chosen to assume in both of these photos and admire the beautiful sand. Hahaha)