The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 110 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

A good description and the consequences of ag gag laws in this article in Wired Magazine.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...public-health/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

More on Ag Gag laws:

In an effort spearheaded by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), and bankrolled by the Koch brothers and other corporate sponsors, state legislatures in most major agricultural states are being beset this year with so-called "ag-gag" bills -- repressive and misguided legislation that proposes to make it a crime to photograph or videotape operations at factory farms where animals are being raised.

The bills, part of an intensive industry lobbying effort, are a direct result of several successful efforts by citizens to document via the Internet the grim conditions at many industrial livestock operations around the country.

Perhaps the best known of these efforts was brought to light by Dean Wyatt, a veterinarian and inspector for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service. Wyatt had his job threatened when he tried to report egregious violations he had found at the Hallmark/Westland slaughterhouse in Chino, Calif. Undaunted, he then tipped off the Humane Society, which released a now infamous video of employees at the plant horrendously abusing downed cows to bring them to slaughter -- cows that by law should be deemed unfit for human consumption because of their increased risk of illnesses such as so-called mad cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy). The video resulted in the largest beef recall in U.S. history and an unprecedented $500 million penalty.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-s...b_3267688.html

The governor of Tennessee just recently vetoed an Ag Gag law after he was advised by his AG that it had some serious constitutional problems. That old first amendment just keeps getting in the way.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

This is just a hoot! Now the sisterhood's 'go-to' publications are WIRED and HUFFPO! roflmao! Sisters, sisters, what we need to do is advertise the benefits of horsemeat! We need to broaden the market.
    We have over 170,000 horses going to slaughter per year. Since nearly 1 million horses are killed/year, we can grow the market at minimal cost, simply re-route the other horses being killed to the SH.
    All these false stories by that rag are foolish at best. None of you have an answer for the need to end horses' lives, so in effect, you are actually the best supporters of slaughter. Own it, you created it and you support it by your inaction!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

7A, I think you've just exposed yourself as a Troll.

I don't think you're going to find many friends among horse owners here or anywhere.

If horse slaughter is ended, I'm sure you can switch over to knocking cattle. Maybe you'll have more hits and fewer misses.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Bouvry had beautiful pictures of mares and foals living in idyllic conditions and fed only natural feed, etc. Sure, I wish someone had posted pictures of the feedlots just south of the Alberta border... Idyllic condition.. my A...
    That's the one.
    I don't think they have those pictures on their website anymore though.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    That's the one.
    I have not been able to find their website, let alone those pictures.. I should have kept them because I did see them on the back cover of a French magazine (not horse related either).
    But, still, I am curious as to WHERE all that horse meat is going in France because it is NOT in the supermarkets and the French vendors have very clear signs as to the origin of the meat... it comes to France and then goes??? where?

That's the one.
    Animal Angels also recently had photos of the Bouvry feed lots in Alberta with obscenely fat drafts, some of which seemed to be either afflicted with that high carb disease or founder, which I personally found somewhat disturbing. Also, Alberta winters being the way they are, no shelter being provided to the animals. (Don't have the link at the moment, sorry).

The basic fact is that if you (EU and others) want drug-free meat from North America the only way to get that is to bred and raise it specifically for the slaughter market. I believe that there are supposed to be at least several ranchers in the western states who have herds of stallions and mares running out together that they periodically round up, select out the ones they want to keep, ship the remainder out, and start all over again. I also believe that the Japanese like their meat shipped to their country live, so there are ranchers who raise and ship out Belgians specifically for that market.

Here is the feedlot link:
    http://animalsangels.org/images/stor...gary%20Ltd.pdf

On re-reading, I see that there are windbreaks provided. No other shelters.
    Last edited by betonbill; May. 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: more

But, still, I am curious as to WHERE all that horse meat is going in France because it is NOT in the supermarkets and the French vendors have very clear signs as to the origin of the meat... it comes to France and then goes??? where?
    You know we have been wondering about that for years. Pretty much since the first time you reported back from one of your trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    7A, I think you've just exposed yourself as a Troll.

I don't think you're going to find many friends among horse owners here or anywhere.

If horse slaughter is ended, I'm sure you can switch over to knocking cattle. Maybe you'll have more hits and fewer misses.
    "JUST" exposed as a troll?!?!

7 members found this post helpful.

That's the one.
    You can't make up your minds

Ft MacLeod has over 640 ACRES (1 section) that is in pasture land. It is directly to the east of the plant and the "feed lot"

The feedlots..lets see..oh..the horses have UNLIMITED WATER
    They are grained and also have an abundance of hay

Where I live winter kicks in about November and leaves around mid April. During that time the horses "stand around" and eat.

During the spring, summer and fall..they are in paddocks..from 3 acres to 9 acres and on occasion they go for a run about..but mostly graze or stand around and eat some alfalfa....I do supplement even during the non winter seasons.

Unless they are in training..they stand around and eat. Having Horsey thoughts..

You are against starving horses
    You are against feed lots for horses

Would it be fair to extrapolate you are against horses..in general.

What is the difference between Maude and Barry who adopt two old pasture ornaments. They stand behind fence wind protectors and eat..no use..no purpose..just eating.

Rather than just spread your little stories why don't you get on a Greyhound and come for a visit. You can also see the separate pastures where pregnant mares foal out.. (defies the statement that foals are ripped out of the bellies of their live mothers)

7 Arabians..you are correct. This sisterhood is about as informed as that gaggle of goofs who oppose carriage horses in NYC.

Here is a link to a BST team investigation showing where U.S. horse meat (Bouvry) comes from for the Swiss market. Caution: the video is rather graphic.

http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/dossier/...etals-30670280

Okay, Well 7 a, What the???
    One thing I will also agree on, is the pictures of a feed lot in Canada,
    Sick, just sick. I don't care if you eat horse or beef, but if you saw mangled and lame cows in lots for cattle would that make you want to eat that beef?
    You know both sides cant be wrong and both sides can't be right.
    I will find those pictures. You can't fake those, and seriously why defend bad treatment, it does nothing for the slaughter industry, I still for the life of me cannot understand why the industry is not doing everything they can to make it clean healthy and humane, MORE MONEY right?? I don't get defending crap.
    I accept that europeans like there Equine, But my god, then raise them to be drug free and healthy, okay that is not popular but sheesh.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

You know we have been wondering about that for years. Pretty much since the first time you reported back from one of your trips.
    False Impressions travels? Must have gone over to Brussels and maybe interviewed the EU staff last October to confirm that ALL Slaughter had been shut down in Canada and Mexico last October. Who DOES she afford all those phone calls and European travels> ?????

I am impressed. False Impressions travelled throughout France just checking labels at ALL grocery stores in the country., Pretty pathetic when there is such wonderful wine to wash the horse meat down with.

WHOOPS

. There is NO country of origin in effect for horsemeat in the EU (INCLUDING FRANCE) Here is my evidence:

On Saturday the French president, François Hollande, joined the growing calls for more traceability at European level and critics have complained that the UK coalition government had been dragging its feet on the issue before the crisis began last month. Country of origin and slaughter for cattle must already be included on labels for fresh and frozen beef but the European commission is paving the way to extend that to other meats and ingredients in processed food. However, a report on implementing tougher rules is not expected until the end of the year. This month, the Commons environment, food and rural affairs select committee said UK ministers had been caught "flat-footed" by the scandal, which has been blamed on mislabelling and criminal fraud, and criticised them for having sought UK exemption from some EU rules

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/fe...igin-labelling

So False ... just where DID you examine these meat products in one of your many trips to Europe and France in particulare.

Isn't the internet wonderful. You can invent the life you want to live.

You guys are just winging it...Beton..there are wind breaks around the whole feedlot area. They are the standard slates with a space inbetween boards..the same as most of us have down here. I do not have it around all my pastures...however I do have some paddocks for winter feeding and turn out AND if the wind is blowing from the south to north..I put them on the other side of the protected paddock so they still have protection.

As yes..the Angels. Lets see..if the slaughter plants purchase skinny horses and feed them up..then that is TERRIBLE as the horses have no purpose and no love.

If the slaughter plants purchase fat horses then they are cruel because they are encouraging founder and obesity.

I think we have been able to identify who the true trolls are.

Here is a link to a BST team investigation showing where U.S. horse meat comes from for the Swiss market. Caution: the video is rather graphic.

http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/dossier/...etals-30670280

I am so very impressed with your knowledge of geography. A thread on Canada's Slaughter Scandal FEATURES a SWISS equine feedlot...now did this just occur a few hours ago? Switzerland is now a province of Canada?

And better yet..Tennessee has joined Canada also as its Gag Law is featured in a Canadian Scandal thread...

Imagine all the books that will have to be rewritten.

Sannois..where is the link to a CANADIAN feedlot showing mangled horses? Usually if a horse has sustained an injury it is slaughtered quickly...a mangled horse in a feedlot does NOT gain weight so there is no reason for it to be "fed up".

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Yes that video is available somewhere, Youtube maybe. I'll see if I can find it.

I think this is it, open link, scroll to bottom... and yes, the source is one some will argue is biased. I don't think, though, that one can argue that the content is horrible, and not because it was edited to be so either:

http://www.animalsangels.org/news/54...slaughter.html
    I couldn't watch beyond the dangling leg in Argentina accompanied by the dog fest on the dangling leg horse? I've had weanling with a dangling leg. Horrific! My eyes are bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I am so very impressed with your knowledge of geography. A thread on Canada's Slaughter Scandal FEATURES a SWISS equine feedlot...now did this just occur a few hours ago? Switzerland is now a province of Canada?

And better yet..Tennessee has joined Canada also as its Gag Law is featured in a Canadian Scandal thread...

Imagine all the books that will have to be rewritten.

Sannois..where is the link to a CANADIAN feedlot showing mangled horses? Usually if a horse has sustained an injury it is slaughtered quickly...a mangled horse in a feedlot does NOT gain weight so there is no reason for it to be "fed up".
    There you go again, bringing logic to the topic.

Save your breath.
    These debates are mostly about being appalled, ripping your hair out, yelling off the rooftops, one more chance to parade myths and propaganda for the organizations some want to promote by asking loaded, accusatory questions, the equivalent of "how many times are you beating your wife a day now?"

This is not about trying to make any sense.

I have been in touch with Mary Ormsby and I commend her and her team for their efforts to double check what we have been telling her.

I am bothered by the use of the word "passport" in this case though. The EID is NOT a passport, it is a piece of paper (and at Olex it is filled out by an Olex employee named Barbie (!) supposedly with info from owner/consigner. She filled out the Backstreet Bully EID by the way!). Here a passport is issued by OEF for show purposes and it gives info about the horse/owner/previous results in competitions, etc. It does not list any medication at all.
    It is not a passport as in GB or in Europe where a vet will list the medications administered, etc. and where owners can specify "Not for meat".

I have also been asked by a friend to translate pages of emails between the s/h and CFIA where s/h employees were asking for clarification about feed/bedding/numbers of horses per pen, when horses had to be held at the s/h over a w/e... the ignorance was really scary actually. In some CFIA was also asking for more information regarding injured horses on unloading... Frankly, it made me sick and even less confident of the "humane" treatment of these animals. These were acquired under the Freedom of Information Act and it took months to get them.

Also, I just came back last week for a month in France and, as usual, I always look for horse meat in stores/supermarkets, etc. To my surprise, this year, there was NO horse meat at all at one of the biggest supermarkets (Cora) or at Carrefour where there used to be some (not much, but still some.) The only place I did see horse meat was at a local market. One vendor and he did not look THAT busy to me. The fish vendor was WAY busier!! So, when I see France listed as one of the biggest importers, the question always is "Where does that meat go?" ... in hamburgers? back to the Netherlands where there was quite a good business going of mixing meats? It really is NOT going on French tables. Besides, the vendor at the market had clear signs of the origin of the meat "France".

And please people, many of us have Bluey, Alagirl and Fairfax on Ignore... do not quote them! Thank you!
    Such a lovely trip...

I just love reading your little stories... Is this a yearly trek or one of your little European jaunts..just to pass the time until Moritz moves into summer season?

Freedom of Access does take months.

Please share those documents with us...just saying you have them does not migrate your story into a docudrama

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I couldn't watch beyond the dangling leg in Argentina accompanied by the dog fest on the dangling leg horse? I've had weanling with a dangling leg. Horrific! My eyes are bleeding.
    You were warned.
    Any time someone posts such videos, better not watch, it is INTENDED to make you forget any that makes sense and just be horrified.
    Like parading some catholic priest that is a child molester and then saying we need to ban all catholics, you see, they are child molesters, look here.

Also, those web sites put cookies in your computer and then you keep getting spam from them about donating to whatever cause of the moment they are pushing right then.

. There is NO country of origin in effect for horsemeat in the EU (INCLUDING FRANCE)
    whoops on you:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...el_section.jpg

If you watched the video, which you will claim you can't, it clearly indicates where it was shot - in Canada and In Mexico.
    And most likely you will recognize your so beloved slaughter plant.
    But keep telling people it ain't so.

3 members found this post helpful.