The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 110 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default More troubles in Canada horse slaughter plant land

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

The response to this article will be: Oh EVERYONE knows the Star is owned by HSUS, so it's clearly just to further their agenda......

9 members found this post helpful.

Holly's rescue from a feedlot in Canada, looks like it will be in the Saturday edition.

http://www.thestar.com/news/2013/05/...ing_holly.html

Holly was big drama around these parts, glad she made it back to her owner.

Here's what the usual suspects will say, for those who have certain posters blocked:
    One person will say " blah blah blah HSUS blah blah one final use blah blah.

One will say " I can't see the article, I am on dial up, so I have a call in to the owner of the Toronto Star, they are on my FB so I am good friends with them. I will set them straight and also remind them that their paper is nothing but garbage"
    Another poster will say " the silly sisterhood is on the warpath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thankfully there are many people down at Olex and other auctions in this area that can prove that the passports are being faked. This problem will not be swept under the rug.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

18 members found this post helpful.

Is anybody really surprised?

That's the thing... I don't see the slaughter industry or their supporters trying to clean up the business. It's all excuses, and whining about "RARA"s and the HSUS.

I'm not morally opposed to slaughter. I have no love for the HSUS, and they wouldn't get one penny from me. I just can't abide slaughter as it is done now.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

14 members found this post helpful.

The argument that if/when the EU cracks down on the problematic EID and requires US horses have a passport tracking lifetime drugs ingested, there will be ample market for that yummy drug laden meat is interesting considering these numbers:

Horsemeat is a lucrative business. It is Canada’s No. 1 red meat export to Europe; Canada supplies the continent with about 24 per cent of its total.
    The top five purchasers of Canadian-processed horsemeat in 2012 were: Switzerland ($22 million); Japan ($19.8 million); France ($19.7 million); Belgium ($17.6 million) and Kazakhstan ($6.8 million).

And of course the argument is often 'these drugs won't hurt you, there's no proof it will... so let's just pretend the horses have never had them!'
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

6 members found this post helpful.

The Toronto Star..ah yes...the same OLD article that was just updated..and pushed again as their ongoing investigation..

Nothing else to say as Angela has stated there will be no more slaughter after July 13th? I think was the date she posted.

We all know how accurate she was on her prediction for the end of the world (slaughter world) over the Mexican plant shut down for a couple of days so lets see if she is going to improve her stats

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Holly was big drama around these parts, glad she made it back to her owner.

Here's what the usual suspects will say, for those who have certain posters blocked:
    One person will say " blah blah blah HSUS blah blah one final use blah blah.

One will say " I can't see the article, I am on dial up, so I have a call in to the owner of the Toronto Star, they are on my FB so I am good friends with them. I will set them straight and also remind them that their paper is nothing but garbage"
    Another poster will say " the silly sisterhood is on the warpath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thankfully there are many people down at Olex and other auctions in this area that can prove that the passports are being faked. This problem will not be swept under the rug.
    I look forward to your reports of rescue for the horses. Of course you already claim to have ten non descript mongrel forever horses (do you dust them regularly?) so a few more will help keep the dandy lions and grass edges neat and tidy on your lawn.

Yahoo..I will be off dial up by this time next week.

We're pleased to let you know that your Sierra Wireless Rocket Stick AC330 Red, ROGERSSIMLTE ROGERS STANDARD LTE 2FF SIMCARD RAW was shipped on 21/05/13. Please allow up to 5 business days for our delivery to reach you.

The homeland security have lifted the block so those of us "rural folk" within five miles of the border can access high speed....

Haven't checked how many "best friends" I have on facebook. After I removed everyone who owns or pimps for a rescue..my numbers dropped to 4945 as for rescue it is a growing industry..for hoarders and those who want to make some big dollars..off the sale of assets seized....most of the others are just in trouble financially and having to get rid of the horses themselves...In the front door and fosh...out the back to a secret sale?

Word for the day. Bloviate.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    The Toronto Star..ah yes...the same OLD article that was just updated..and pushed again as their ongoing investigation..

Nothing else to say as Angela has stated there will be no more slaughter after July 13th? I think was the date she posted.

We all know how accurate she was on her prediction for the end of the world (slaughter world) over the Mexican plant shut down for a couple of days so lets see if she is going to improve her stats
    It's not July 13th, but July of 2013. There you go with missing details again.
    Anyway... it's not me predicting it, it's the EU requiring it since 2000:

Since 2000, the EU’s regulations state that horse meat cannot contain residues of veterinary medicinalproducts exceeding previously set limits or residue from substances banned for use in food producinganimals in the EU. These restrictions include phenylbutazone. If substances prohibited for use in food-producing animals are administered to equids, those animals must be excluded from the food chain.40Finally, imported horsemeat can only be authorized if equines are included in European Commission-approved residue control plans in third country slaughterhouses.41 ...

However, the2011 FVO audit noted “for those horses imported from the United States of America for direct slaughter,the equine identification documents received were not reliable….” The audit further noted that 85% of thehorses slaughtered in this Canadian processing plant originated from the U.S. and all of these horses wereimported for direct slaughter.45 Considering cases such as the one above, as long as there is noidentification system in place, U.S. horses will not meet the European Commission’s new food safetyregulations, which will become effective in July 2013

The European Commission mandated a transitional period of three years in which third countries have toprovide guarantees regarding medical and drug history for horses during their last six months beforeslaughter. After the three-year transition period—which ends in 2013— guarantees must be provided forthe lifetime of the horses.46 This policy would complement the EU’s “horse passport” legislation, whichrequires records to be kept of certain medicinal products.47 This required lifetime guarantee that a horsebe cleared of all EU prohibited substances for use in food-producing animals could eliminate virtually allU.S. horses from the food chain. The substances banned for use in food-producing animals routinelyadministered by U.S. horse owners render most American horses ineligible for foreign slaughter.48

References:

41 Council Directive 96/23/EC On measures to monitor certain substances and residues thereof in live animals and animal products and repealing Directives 85/358/EEC and 86/469/EEC and Decisions 89/187/EEC and 91/664/EEC. European Parliament. April 1996.http://www.ec.europa.eu/food/food/ch...ve_96_23ec.pdf. Accessed April 12,2012.

43 European Commission. 2010. Final Report of a Mission Carried Out in Mexico From 22 November to 03 December 2010 In Order to Evaluate the Operation of Controls Over the Production of Fresh HorseMeat and Meat Products Intended for Export to the European Union as Well as Certification Procedures.December 2010. ec.europa.eu/food/fvo/rep_details_en.cfm?rep_id=2639. Accessed April 12, 2012.

44 Canadian Food Inspection Agency. 2011. Ante and Post-mortem Procedures, Dispositions, Monitoring, and Controls-Red Meat Species, Ostriches, Rheas, and Emus. Chapter 17, E.2. June 2011.http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...nexee.shtml#e2. Accessed April 12, 2012.

45 European Commission, 2011. Health and Consumers Directorate-General. Final Report of an Audit Carried Out in Canada from 13 to 23 September 2011 in Order to Evaluate the Monitoring of Residuesand Contaminants in Live Animals and Animal Products, Including Controls on Veterinary MedicinalProducts. http://www.ec.europa.eu/food/fvo/ind...fm?reptoshow=2. Accessed April 12, 2012.

46 Whitcomb R. 2010. EU standards could signal new challenges for veterinary records, horse transport, and slaughter. DVM Newsmagazine, August 1.veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Veterinary+Equine/EU-standards-could-signal-new-challenges-for-veter/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/682251. Accessed April 10, 2012.

47 European Commission. 2008. Commission adopts single passport and matching chip for horses and other equidae [Press release].europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/08/905&format=HTML&aged=0&language=ENAccessed April 12, 2012.

48 European Commission Health & Consumers Directorate-General. 2009. Imports of equine meat from third countries. www.defendhorsescanada.org/residues.pdf. Accessed April 12, 2012

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&gbv=2&ct=clnk

8 members found this post helpful.

Here's another

The European Union released its 2013 regulations for meat imported into the 27 countries.

Under the new regulations, all horses and burros destined for slaughter and export to Europe must have a passport that shows they are free from substances such as phenalbutazone (bute), and clenbuterol...

The EU is putting teeth into strict enforcement of regulations that began in 2010 when the European nations warned horses coming to those countries from abroad must be in full compliance within three years. That time span has nearly lapsed.

The strict new passport regulations are contained in a European Commission document titled Imports of Animals and Food of Animal Origans From Non-EU Countries.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&gbv=2&ct=clnk

And there's a clickable link that takes you to the European Commission document titled Imports of Animals and Food of Animal Origans From Non-EU Countries.

7 members found this post helpful.

I
    Haven't checked how many "best friends" I have on facebook. After I removed everyone who owns or pimps for a rescue..my numbers dropped to 4945
    Snort! I guess that is why Christy Sheidy is still one of your "best friends" on Facebook. She sure as sh*t isn't a rescue.
    Sheilah

11 members found this post helpful.

Imports of animals
    and food of animal
    origin from
    non-EU countries:
    Provisions of guarantees
    equivalent to EU requirements
    on residues of veterinary medicines,
    pesticides and contaminants

5.1 Horses: import into the EU and
    residue requirements
    EU requirements:
    5.1.2 Passport for equidae and medicines
    records

All EU equidae must be accompanied by a passport
    during their movements (Regulation 504/2008 [clickable link]).
    The passport has a section where treatments with
    certain veterinary medicines must be recorded
    (see 5.1.2). All medicinal treatments must also be
    recorded in a medicines record kept on the farm
    (required by Article 10, Directive 96/23 and Annex I,
    Part A, III, point 8(b) to Regulation 852/2004 [clickable link]).

5.1.3 Veterinary medicines which can and
    cannot be used

[contains clickable links to the EU documents]

Substances with an established MRL in line with
    Regulation 470/2009 [clickable link] and listed in Table 1 of the
    Annex to Regulation 37/2010 [clickable link] can be used for
    treatment of horses. The meat from such animals
    may enter the food chain if the indicated medicine
    withdrawal periods are met before slaughter.

Substances without an EU MRL for equidae
    but essential for their treatment

Certain substances not in Table 1 of the
    Annex to Regulation 37/2010 [clickable link] are considered
    essential when treating equidae (Regulation
    1950/2006). [clickable link]

Treated animals can enter the food chain if the
    treatment is documented in the equine passport
    and a default withdrawal period of 6 months is
    observed before slaughter

Substances without an EU MRL for
    equidae wich are not nor deemed essential
    medicines

Some medicines commonly used for horses
    world-wide e.g. phenylbutazone, are not listed
    in Reg. 1950/2006 [clickable link] or in Table 1 of the Annex to
    Regulation 37/2010 [clickable link]. Any horse in the EU treated
    with phenylbutazone must be excluded from the
    food chain and signed out of the food chain in the
    passport.

Substances for which no MRL can be set for
    equidae in the EU

Horses for food production may not be treated
    with substances for which it is impossible to
    establish an MRL i.e. chloramphenicol,
    nitrofurans and nitroimidazoles (Table 2 of
    Annex to Regulation 37/2010 [clickable link]).

Horses must be signed out of the food chain if they
    have been treated with any of them. The passport
    accompanying the animal to the slaughterhouse
    must record this.

Horses for food production in the EU can neither
    be treated with hormonal steroids for growth
    promotion, nor with certain anabolic or
    gestagenic steroids for therapeutic and/or
    zootechnical purposes (Directive 96/22 [clickable link]). Such
    treatments are illegal and the animals cannot
    enter the food chain.

If equidae in non-EU countries have been treated
    with either:
    a. substances in Table 2 of the Annex to
    Regulation 37/2010 [clickable link] e.g. chloramphenicol,
    nitrofurans or nitroimidazoles etc. or
    b. hormonal steroids for growth promotion or
    c. certain anabolic or gestagenic steroids for
    therapeutic and/or zootechnical purposes as
    in Directive 96/22;
    they cannot be imported for direct slaughter in the
    EU and their meat is not eligible for export to the
    EU.

Find it here:
    http://ec.europa.eu/food/food/chemic...nts_non_eu.pdf

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Snort! I guess that is why Christy Sheidy is still one of your "best friends" on Facebook. She sure as sh*t isn't a rescue.
    Sheilah
    Who actually keeps track of how many friends they have on FB lol

Word here in the Ottawa area(where Holly was found) is that Leo's Livestock is in big trouble over the sale of Holly. There's a sh*t blizzard on the horizon.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

9 members found this post helpful.

Yes. As someone else mentioned you'd think they would want all this as pristine as possible. There will be a lot of protestors about it and not all of them will be RARA's . All animal slaughter must be the absolute best it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    That's the thing... I don't see the slaughter industry or their supporters trying to clean up the business. It's all excuses, and whining about "RARA"s and the HSUS.

I'm not morally opposed to slaughter. I have no love for the HSUS, and they wouldn't get one penny from me. I just can't abide slaughter as it is done now.

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Word here in the Ottawa area(where Holly was found) is that Leo's Livestock is in big trouble over the sale of Holly. There's a sh*t blizzard on the horizon.
    Great, I look forward to hearing about any developments!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't blame Angela. She must have read the exact same article in COTH (The Magazine) that stated exactly that in, I believe, the last of their series of articles published middle of last year.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    The argument that if/when the EU cracks down on the problematic EID and requires US horses have a passport tracking lifetime drugs ingested, there will be ample market for that yummy drug laden meat is interesting considering these numbers:

Horsemeat is a lucrative business. It is Canada’s No. 1 red meat export to Europe; Canada supplies the continent with about 24 per cent of its total.
    The top five purchasers of Canadian-processed horsemeat in 2012 were: Switzerland ($22 million); Japan ($19.8 million); France ($19.7 million); Belgium ($17.6 million) and Kazakhstan ($6.8 million).

And of course the argument is often 'these drugs won't hurt you, there's no proof it will... so let's just pretend the horses have never had them!'
    Not a VERY lucrative business. Marginal is more like it, especially since the number of Europeans who want to eat this stuff is declining. I've read that population is aging rapidly, too--apparently the taste for it was acquired in the aftermath of WWII, and young people are grossed out.

Compare the numbers to the value of almost any other commodity sold, and you'll see these numbers aren't really a very big deal.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Not a VERY lucrative business. Marginal is more like it, especially since the number of Europeans who want to eat this stuff is declining. I've read that population is aging rapidly, too--apparently the taste for it was acquired in the aftermath of WWII, and young people are grossed out.

Compare the numbers to the value of almost any other commodity sold, and you'll see these numbers aren't really a very big deal.
    All that being true, what was interesting to note was the sheer number going to EU countries, especially considering some insist that should the EU market go away, thanks to the lack of verifiable drug ingestion, that the Asian market will snap it all up.