The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have an Arab/Mustang mare that I got about a month ago. Previous owner told me that she thought the stallion (Arab) was registered but I've never been able to dig anything up. The mare is nine years old and had been with the previous owner for six. I have no desire to compete in the Arab shows and will only be doing open hunter/jumper, hunter paces, trail riding and maybe some long distance events. In the event that I do end up breeding her back to an Arab or maybe a Welsh, I can register the foal. Otherwise I don't fuss with papers.

Quote Originally Posted by KSquared View Post
    Wow, there is alot of info for me, Thank you SO much!!

I am working up the courage to get on him. I am a HUGE chicken and have never gotten on a horse for the first time, someone else has done it for me.. so.. I am working up the courage to go get on him. Hopefully if he dumps me off, he will dump me off in the big fluffy pile of hay in the middle of the 'arena'.

He is not big on the bridle, he plays with it a lot and gets his tongue over it. I can crank down the nose piece, but he still manages to do it, I tried a bitless bridle on him, but I think he may not have liked the way it applied pressure. It was one of those that if you pull the left rein it puts pressure on the right side, I think it may have been confusing for him.

So I am going to long line him in his bridle and see how he does and if he does well for that I will give him a few good sessions and then see if I can get him to stand near my ATV and get on him bareback. He has had weight in the stirrups and all he really did was swing his rear a little, my hubby has been all the way up in the stirrups with full weight, just not a leg over him.

He does great at ground driving. He doesn't gait, that I know of, I haven't seen any evidence of gaiting.

Now all that long windedness was to get to a point that right now, sky is the limit for us. I mainly trail ride and I think I would enjoy the endurance side of things, we don't have alot of those down here in the SW though. I do want to teach him to drive, it would be fun to be able to drive him with my kids and let the hubby drive the ATV on some outings.

Here is a nice pic of him that I love. It really shows his temperament.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psfdd135cc.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps3c61af90.jpg
    You really don't want him to get in the habit of putting his tongue over the bit....it's a hard habit to break and will be penalized in many shows. I had one that did it and a Myler Low Port Comfort snaffle fixed it. Myler does offer bit rental
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Carol,

I have been reading some of the threads around here and I started to wonder about that, I read the one thread that offered that perhaps it was the type of bit.

I have an O ring snaffle on him and it fits well however, something is clearly amiss, he either doesn't like it.. or he likes to play with the bit. So I thought I would take a step to the side (Not really backwards) and try him with a hackamore (A mild one, no harsh chain noses) or a sidepull and get a good foundation on him. A good stop and power steering, then I can fix the bit issue and find one that suits him. We aren't in a rush, but I am dying to get on him.

You might want to have a trainer work with him. Good trainers make a lot of progress in a short time. If you are worried about getting on him, maybe he needs some professional work. Training a youngster is best done with the help of someone with a lot of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Lol. You can have a blast with your non-papered Morgan. There might even be Morgan shows that have open classes for non-papered Morgans, X breeds.
    That's what I was fixin' to say. Check w/ your state breed association. If it's anything like the ones in GA they will either (a) offer "Open" (i.e. to all breeds, as opposed to Maiden/Novice/Limit/Open) classes/divisions, or they may simply look the other way on horses of Morgan *type* who are unpapered. The way it works in the state ASB program here is you can *show* an unpapered ASB at non-USEF rated shows, but you *cannot* compete for year-end awards.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

AKB,

He is 7 years old and I have done all of his training up to the point of getting on him. I do have a trainer who evaluated him and she said I have done a most excellent job and he will be a fantastic mount.

I have never been able to get on for the first time. Even with my Arab X mare I trained from 2 years old who never even lifted a foot off the ground for anything, I still couldn't get on her that first time and had to have someone else do it for me.

That is just my irrational fear, I don't have many of them. Needles and getting on horses for the first time. The second time, sure let's go. The first time.. noooooope.

__________________________________________________ ________________

War Admiral,

I was just always under the thought that open meant all breeds could show but they still had to have papers.

Thank you to everyone for opening my eyes to that, I am so super excited now to get out there!

And you all left off mounted games, if he is small enough.

My registered Connemara competes in mounted games, but so does my daughter's pulled-off-the-slaughter-truck-might-be-a-Hackney.

http://www.mountedgames.org