The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What can you do with a non papered horse?

I am just curious about some of the event/show things one can do if they have a horse that is not registered?

I would love nothing more than to show off my Morgan in a show, but beings he was rescued and taken from the owner who was waving a gun at the time, he did not come with his papers. (If he had any) and a registry search of the owners name brought back a handful of horses that did not fit his description or age.

I can submit DNA and plan on doing that, but I am not sure that process brings back Dam and Sire and the ability to register. I don't really know what a DNA sample will bring me.

So barring the ability to get papers, what can I do with my Morgan?

Just about anything. Dressage, hunters, Jumpers, Eventing, Driving, Trail Riding (Competitive or Not). None of theses disciplines require papers, even at the highest levels.

Christa

7 members found this post helpful.

The only time you would need papers would be to show at a breed show (Morgan in this case) or if you attend an open show and want to enter a breed-specific class.

For example, in Vermont our local open shows do offer breed-specific classes like "QH Halter Geldings" ... I have a QH, and in order to enter, I need to prove he is a registered QH.

They also have an Open Halter class...anyone can enter this class, you need not be entering a registered horse. You could enter with your unpapered Morgan and win.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Well that answers my question. Thank you guys so much!

My old showing days were with QHs (Way back when) and once or twice with an Arab, and of course being in Arabs it was all about the papers, if you had none you were nothing and couldn't do anything. So everything I have ever done was with papers.. so I didn't realize there was so many options for horses with out papers!

Well fantastic, that opens up SO many other options!!

Thank you guys so much for the quick answers!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    The only time you would need papers would be to show at a breed show (Morgan in this case) or if you attend an open show and want to enter a breed-specific class.
    Yep, you can do pretty much anything except for breed shows with a unpapered horse. So have fun!
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

If he is gaited you could get him registered for racking papers, and single footing papers.
    If he is fast enough at the rack gait (a 1234 footfall) you could speed rack race him.
    If he has a LOT of white, you could get pinto papers for him.
    You can ride endurance with him and no papers are required, same for competitive trail.
    You can show him dressage, eventing, hj and no papers are required.
    If he is a particular color you can register him that way to show in their shows.
    You could show him at any show, in any class.
    You can take him to local cow penning, cow sorting, cow cuttings and make money with him.

Only thing you can not do is show him in a breed show of Morgans.

Sky is the limit!

Yeah. I think you'd be surprised at all the horses out there that compete, and well, who either never had papers or who's papers got lost along the way. Breed shows are the only ones who really care about papers. USEF and it's off shoots (USEA, USDF) have spots on their horse registration forms for stuff like sire and dam, etc, but they don't really care...just nice info to have if you've got it.

I can tell you my Morgan x, more of the old school type Morgan look to him rocked at dressage! Never a hunter, to much knee even though we did it for fun, not a jumper not fast at all lol, nor a barrel racer but we did a couple fun shows for the heck of it, but dressage was the perfect fit for him. We even did so very low level eventing and cts.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I have a Morgan. I got her because Morgans can do just about anything. I plan on doing dressage with her and doubt she will ever enter any Morgan show. Just be glad you have an awesome horse

I have competed off and on for 25 years, and never once entered a competition where it mattered if the horse had been registered, that included:

Hunters
    Jumpers
    Equitation
    Eventing
    Dressage
    Team Penning
    Gymkhana
    Hunter Paces

Basically the only thing you need a registered horse for are “breed shows” – and for the most part, from what I have seen, I have NO desire to participate in breed shows.

1 members found this post helpful.

Appsolute-You left out Fox Hunting and Driving.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by KSquared View Post
    Well that answers my question. Thank you guys so much!

My old showing days were with QHs (Way back when) and once or twice with an Arab, and of course being in Arabs it was all about the papers, if you had none you were nothing and couldn't do anything. So everything I have ever done was with papers.. so I didn't realize there was so many options for horses with out papers!

Well fantastic, that opens up SO many other options!!

Thank you guys so much for the quick answers!!
    I have 6 horses, all purebred and no papers on any of them. My husbands family thinks they're all useless POS's because I don't hold their papers, because they come from QH world where the papers are like some sort of golden ticket. My sister in law always refers to my herd as "mongrels"...*rolls eyes*

And hey, Morgan's do well in endurance and competitive trail riding too!

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Appsolute-You left out Fox Hunting and Driving.
    Was going to add fox hunting, because I have done that with both my TB and Appy ... but its not really a "competition".

As for driving - I have never participated! Already owned three changes of tack for eventing (dressage saddle and bridle, cross country saddle, close contact for stadium) and a western saddle for team penning etc - driving takes a big equipment investment!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    As for driving - I have never participated! - driving takes a big equipment investment!
    Sure does!

Last year I showed my Morgan mare at a particular show (happened to be a Morgan show) and had to bring along her Western tack and my corresponding clothes (for western dressage), her Hunt Seat tack with my clothes (for hunter pleasure classes) and her cart/harness and my driving outfits (for carriage pleasure classes). THAT was a lot of tack & clothes not to mention truck/trailer for the horses and SUV/trailer for the carriages!!

don't forget reining and reined cow horse, stock horse, roping, ACTHA

Lol. You can have a blast with your non-papered Morgan. There might even be Morgan shows that have open classes for non-papered Morgans, X breeds.

So....what do you and your horse like to do? What do you as a pair excel in? What is fun and popular in your area? What are your friends showing?

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, there is alot of info for me, Thank you SO much!!

I am working up the courage to get on him. I am a HUGE chicken and have never gotten on a horse for the first time, someone else has done it for me.. so.. I am working up the courage to go get on him. Hopefully if he dumps me off, he will dump me off in the big fluffy pile of hay in the middle of the 'arena'.

He is not big on the bridle, he plays with it a lot and gets his tongue over it. I can crank down the nose piece, but he still manages to do it, I tried a bitless bridle on him, but I think he may not have liked the way it applied pressure. It was one of those that if you pull the left rein it puts pressure on the right side, I think it may have been confusing for him.

So I am going to long line him in his bridle and see how he does and if he does well for that I will give him a few good sessions and then see if I can get him to stand near my ATV and get on him bareback. He has had weight in the stirrups and all he really did was swing his rear a little, my hubby has been all the way up in the stirrups with full weight, just not a leg over him.

He does great at ground driving. He doesn't gait, that I know of, I haven't seen any evidence of gaiting.

Now all that long windedness was to get to a point that right now, sky is the limit for us. I mainly trail ride and I think I would enjoy the endurance side of things, we don't have alot of those down here in the SW though. I do want to teach him to drive, it would be fun to be able to drive him with my kids and let the hubby drive the ATV on some outings.

Here is a nice pic of him that I love. It really shows his temperament.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psfdd135cc.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps3c61af90.jpg

He's a cutie pie!

Haven't read all the replies...but my first thought as an answer to your question?

Just ride the horse! Compete as you wish. Breed classes are not the be all end all.

A good horse is a good horse.

Ok Here is just one more and that is all I swear!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps4b79aed1.jpg