The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Osselets or something else?

Horse is a four year old tb/wb cross that is a little stocky. He has never been in hard work. Both his front legs do turn in slightly but does not affect his movement.

He does have wind puffs all around and has had them for a while. Due to his back legs stocking up a little more where his wind puffs are, I am having the vet out next week. Both my farrier and dentist (he owns racehorses so I feel he sees lots of ugly legs) say he has osselets in his front legs.

I have been looking up stuff online and am slightly confused. I can see how him being a little bigger and with funky legs can cause some problems for him. He has never been off or sore other than one day. No heat. I check his legs every time I am there for any differences or heat. Dentist flexed him and showed no problem at all.

Can he have them and not be sore at all?
    Last edited by jay0087; May. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM.

Once osselets set and are cold, they often never both a horse again - it just depends on where they are and how bad.

Picture?

Will take a picture tonight. I would not say bad but then again I don't know much about them. Would he have been sore when he was first getting them? What is the best website to use to put pictures on here?

He may or may not have been sore when they were forming, depending on what caused them and how quickly they formed and how large they got. The odds are probably better than not that he was at least a little sore, but if the soreness was bilateral (and I'd expect that) then you might never have noticed because he wouldn't have seemed "lame"

Photobucket, flickr, shutterfly, all free

For some fun reference, here is my OTTB mare's osselet not long after I got her OT

And this is the same leg 4 years later - a bit chopped off the top but you can still see the pastern well enough to see how much it decreased

It never bothered her. She rip-roared around my pasture, rock-hard red clay in the Summer, the whole time. The only thing it's done is reduce the flexion of the fetlock, but there is no decrease (that I can tell) in the extension.