The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default California People Please :).

Hello!

I have joined this forum as I am moving from England to California in September and I would love some advice please .

We are moving to the Santa Barbara, Santa Ynez region.. not exactly sure where exactly yet as we are renting untill we choose the right spot to buy.

I am flying my horse over and will be looking for a livery yard near Santa Barbara for him until we have found where we are going to settle.

So that's the first thing.. if anyone knows of any nice yards please let me know .

The second thing is rugs! I'm bringing his rugs and tack over. What rugs do I need to bring? Fly rugs, light turnout and stable rugs? Coolers?

Also what is the diet of horses in this region of California? Do you have much grass at all? Also the ground, what is that like? Plus the weather, I have researched it on the internet but I know actually living in the weather of a place is different to the statistics.

Any information on keeping horses in this area much appreciated .

He's a TB, used for eventing, showjumping, dressage and hacking.

Thank you

The area you are moving to is a nice part of California. You will not get the super hot temperatures of the inland valleys since the area is close to the coast. Winters are mild as well, not really any major frost or cold snaps. You will have bugs so a fly rug, yes. Cooler after workout may be fine, but with the nice climate you will probably be able to hose down all year long. The Santa Barbara area will get overcast mornings with the coastal influence, this will burn off by noon.
    Most areas in California don't offer pasture. Most horses are stabled and turned out onto a dry lot. Hay is very costly. Alfalfa hay is usually very good and is fed quite a bit. Grass hays like orchard and timothy are around $23.00-27.00 USD for a 75-100 lb bale. Alfalfa about $12.00-$15.00 USD for the same size bale depending on the cut.
    Most of the barns offer arenas with a sand base. There are a lot of trails in these arenas if your horse likes to go out for a hack. Trails are usually dirt and sand with rocks. Wildlife on trails, so be prepared to see deer, coyotes, bobcats, quail, and snakes. Only the rattlesnake is poisonous, staying on the trail will help you see them first to avoid them. Anytime I ever go off the trail into the brush and grass I always come home with ticks. (ewww)
    I have never boarded in the area so I have no idea about the barns. Here is a link to Equine Now web page with several barns listed I hope this helps.
    http://www.equinenow.com/boarding/sa...california.htm

1 members found this post helpful.

I sent you a pm.

Thank you very much! To be clear we will probably rent close to SB first so my horse will be moving there first. Thank you. I think my horse will like the weather (so will I, I hope!), he hates the rain.. actually it's rained all day here today and he's just come in from the field with a cut on his leg from running around in it and getting upset. I guess the hay is brought in from other areas of the country which bumps up the cost..
    Thanks again.

Gosh just worked out the hay cost.. that's around £20 for 5 days supply of hay... eeek that IS a lot... Mind you it costs me here in England around £70-£80 a month in winter to feed hay as there is no grass so maybe it's not that different...

Santa Ynez is one of the places in California where you might score a grass pasture. There are lots of fields and open space.

However, realize that while Santa Ynez is near Santa Barbara, it's a bit of a drive over a mountain pass. You'll want to consider your residence location closely to be a happy distance from both work and horse.

It won't ever get super cold, but it can get rainy in winter. I'd suggest a medium weight blanket and probably a waterproof sheet. In the summer it will be warm and dry.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Thank you. I think I will sell the heavy weights. He's not going to need a 450g rug is he and they will just take up space in a crate. I will bring his fly/UV rug, rain sheet and medium weights for winter night time.

The 450g definitely will be way too much. The most miserable days will be 33F and raining. I'm in a similar sort of climate, but to the north, and colder, and the 200g is the most I've ever needed, even for my TB who lived in a pipe corral without solid walls.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

That is a great area of California to move to! Beautiful, good weather, close to the ocean and not nearly as crowded as further south If you are looking for some place with grass pasture options you would be better off looking in Santa Ynez Valley (Santa Ynez, Solvang, Buellton, Los Olivos, etc) but that will all be affected by where you end up living and working. For reference it usually take me 35-40 minutes from downtown SB to our place in Solvang. Since you event I would get a hold of Jennifer: http://trinityeventing.com/. She is in the valley and even if she isn't the right choice for you she might be able to point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by HiHopes View Post
    Thank you. I think I will sell the heavy weights. He's not going to need a 450g rug is he and they will just take up space in a crate. I will bring his fly/UV rug, rain sheet and medium weights for winter night time.
    You should be just fine getting rid of the heavy weights. Even on the coldest nights the most my clipped horses get is a medium weight blanket or more often they get a light weight with a sheet under it.

Actually grass pasture in Santa Ynez is still very hard to come by. It would need to be irrigated and the cost of water is extreme. We have not had much rain and so our local reservoir is low.

I think I am jealous.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I think I am jealous.
    Be thankful your don't have to pay my barn and training bills. Oh and the water bill for my home....That will make you not want to come here.

Imagine moving to Greece or Spain. CA has the same type of climate. I just got back visiting my parent in NorCal and the grass is tall and quite dead everywhere it hasn't got water. I had relatives in Morro Bay and spent some time in Ventura and the climate is really mild, especially down there, but it is also really dry, very Mediterranean.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Actually grass pasture in Santa Ynez is still very hard to come by. It would need to be irrigated and the cost of water is extreme. We have not had much rain and so our local reservoir is low.
    That is true. I should have said pastures full of dead grass But still compared to most of the boarding option further south pasture is much easier to come by up here. Although I think it does depend a bit on where in the valley you are and if the property is on well or city water. We have a well and our pastures are irrigated. Most our neighbors have the same setup and the majority of pastures around us are green. But if we had city water I can guarantee it would be a different story

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies!

My parents have a property in Andalucia, Spain and I love it there, to live it would frustrate me but to be there, I think it's beautiful and I love the scenery and the weather.

The plan is to buy a ranch eventually. I have never been to the area before but researching on the internet it seems to me that land is more available near Santa Ynez then it is near SB?! My husband would like a place that has access to a water source so he can keep at least some of the fields irrigated.
    He knows it won't be green like England, if he wants the sun he can't have green! However he's made it clear he wants access to water. How realistic is this? How do you find a place that is on a well?
    (He moans about cost of heating here in the UK, now he can moan about cost of water )

HiHopes: Sorry the PM box for me is filled with only 3 messages. You can use my email address I sent you. Land with well water will have the well water factored into the cost. Water is a premium and not much for heating here.

I am from Portland OR, the same amount of rain as England and I prefer it here. I am happy to answer any questions for you and your husband. Just e-mail me.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Imagine moving to Greece or Spain. CA has the same type of climate. I just got back visiting my parent in NorCal and the grass is tall and quite dead everywhere it hasn't got water. I had relatives in Morro Bay and spent some time in Ventura and the climate is really mild, especially down there, but it is also really dry, very Mediterranean.
    We have had a shockingly and unusually dry spring. The grass would normally still be green in May, especially in the north.

Quote Originally Posted by HiHopes View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for all the replies!

My parents have a property in Andalucia, Spain and I love it there, to live it would frustrate me but to be there, I think it's beautiful and I love the scenery and the weather.

The plan is to buy a ranch eventually. I have never been to the area before but researching on the internet it seems to me that land is more available near Santa Ynez then it is near SB?! My husband would like a place that has access to a water source so he can keep at least some of the fields irrigated.
    He knows it won't be green like England, if he wants the sun he can't have green! However he's made it clear he wants access to water. How realistic is this? How do you find a place that is on a well?
    (He moans about cost of heating here in the UK, now he can moan about cost of water )
    There is really no open land to speak of in Santa Barbara proper. It is locked between the mountains and the water and mostly built out. There is some wild space and there are some large parcels, but not ranches.

Over the hill in the Santa Ynez valley, there are a lot of large parcels. There are lots of horses and quite a bit in grapes.

The water situation is something that you'll always have to ask after closely for any property in California. Grapes take quite a bit less water than pasture, so water adequate for grapes may not be enough for grass. In general, the grass is plentiful in winter/spring - December to June or so - from rainfall.

The Santa Barbara area can get pummeled with rain in the winter, but there isn't a lot of storage, so dry years (especially multiple dry years) can get difficult.

In northern California (or Oregon), we have more water to work with; you can have sun and green here.

Santa Ynez and Santa Barbara are two of my favorite places. Enjoy!

It is SO beautiful there! And now for a plug for my uncle's tack store - Jedlicka's in Santa Barbara. It's the place to buy everything! You can even get duded up in fancy cowboy clothes, if you want to cross over to "the other side."

Quote Originally Posted by Danged Arab View Post
    It is SO beautiful there! And now for a plug for my uncle's tack store - Jedlicka's in Santa Barbara. It's the place to buy everything! You can even get duded up in fancy cowboy clothes, if you want to cross over to "the other side."
    We love Jedlickas ! DH is treated well there every year looking for things he knows nothing about.

1 members found this post helpful.