The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cloning

Has any of our Posters considered Cloning? I know that it is out of My League, but it seems to be becoming more and more common. I just received an email announcing 2 Rusty clones. One in Europe and one in the US Amazing!

http://www.cryozootech.com/index.php...=en&pmv_nid=12

I have nothing to clone, but I wouldn't mind having a clone of Woodlander Farouche.

Interesting that they now have a bank of horse DNA and you can call and order up a clone....

Is this something that is going to become common? Are cloning/DNA rights going to become part of a standard sales agreement? For example you can buy the horse, but I've already sold cloning rights to Cryzootech?
    The rebel in the grey shirt

As a breeder of Sport horses, I have my doubts about the advantages of cloning for our industry. Our goal is to produce the animal that is best suited for his particular direction. This is not a static thing but rather is continualy evolving. We should be constantly striving to determine what characteristics are important to allow his job to be easy and pleasurable. Granted, we should use our foundation bloodlines, but again, our sport is ever evolving. Cloning in my opinion is going backward or at best remaining static.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am with you Joshua's Mom. I don't see cloning as benifit to sport horse breeding. Take dressage for example for better or for worse I see it trending toward the Totalis type of movement. The dressage horses 20 years ago just didn't move like that. I think it would stop progress if all we did was clone.
    Also it is said that Grand Prix horses are made not born. So much else goes into the top horses than just genetics.

Sorry for the rant, and take it with a grain of salt because I am not a breeder and perphaps do not understand what the benifits would be.

Cloning is still a new technology that is not without problems. At this point in time, I would still be concerned with genetic defects arising from the cloning process...something a stallion could pass to a lot of his offspring.
    In the future, I believe it could become a very powerful tool but it is not something I would avail myself of at this time.

I am absolutely against cloning. I am a big nurture proponent and think there is way more to it than genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I am absolutely against cloning. I am a big nurture proponent and think there is way more to it than genetics.
    I agree with your statement, but think that clones are actually the ultimate test of nurture. Think of a jumper class full of Gem Twists or a dressage class full of Rustys. You would know without a doubt who the best trainer/rider/manager/partnership was.