The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Was it the best 4th level test ever? Nope. However, it's a MULE doing FOURTH level. It's a mule with flying changes and half pass. THAT is the point. Anyone who can't recognize this achievement is a stuffy poo head.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Although I think what the trainer accomplished is fantastic, I must admit that I was wondering that if he was horse and not a mule if he would have gotten the same scores?

Ah, he might be an affirmative action mule? There's no way he would have gotten here without a little special help -some easy scoring cuz he's a mule.

Maybe you should ask the judge.

Wow
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

how was he able to compete in a Horse show since he is a mule. I remember many years ago this being an issue for someone who was eventing a mule. although perhaps I misremember.

My dream retirement animal is a TWH mule!
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I wasn't aware of any restrictions to the kind of horse you can ride in dressage. Did someone tell you that no mules were allowed or something?

Paula

Fun to watch - because it was a mule - but I found myself thinking that this ride wouldn't win (or come close to 60) in any of the shows I've been to. He does have changes - but he braces and/or goes crooked in all of them, and he tends to slide his haunches around in canter work - he also goes wide (you really see it in the halts) because he can't/isn't really sitting.

I am a huge fan of "you don't need a WB to do dressage", but this ride didn't excite me. Loved his floppy ears - I bet he's a lot of fun, but I was a little disappointed when I watched the video

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Fun to watch - because it was a mule - but I found myself thinking that this ride wouldn't win (or come close to 60) in any of the shows I've been to. He does have changes - but he braces and/or goes crooked in all of them, and he tends to slide his haunches around in canter work - he also goes wide (you really see it in the halts) because he can't/isn't really sitting.

I am a huge fan of "you don't need a WB to do dressage", but this ride didn't excite me. Loved his floppy ears - I bet he's a lot of fun, but I was a little disappointed when I watched the video
    So I don't disagree with you to a point, but I do think this goes both ways most of the time. I have seen so many tests where a really pretty/fancy/extravagant mover scores in the 70s, even though the horse is bracing, mouth gaping, hind legs dragging in the dirt, nose way behind the vertical, and just full of tension. But those gaits!

It's the funny/frustrating thing about dressage for me, the judging is SO subjective most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    how was he able to compete in a Horse show since he is a mule. I remember many years ago this being an issue for someone who was eventing a mule. although perhaps I misremember.

My dream retirement animal is a TWH mule!
    USEF Rule DR.119.1 specifically allows mules for all but USEF High Perf Champs or Qualifying classes. (Not that I have the rulebook in my truck just in case I need to show said rule to a non-believer or anything...)

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride
    Was it the best 4th level test ever? Nope. However, it's a MULE doing FOURTH level. It's a mule with flying changes and half pass. THAT is the point. Anyone who can't recognize this achievement is a stuffy poo head.
    Agreed. Congratulations to the rider for this achievement! It's always nice to see someone doing their own thing and having fun, and there were some moments in the test that reflected genuinely good training.

Quote Originally Posted by gestalt
    I didn't think it was a quality test. A nice ride and the mule was a good boy, but I'm not seeing this wowza winning test that others are. *I'm in no way an expert* I wonder how many riders were in that class?
    Also agreed but I doubt this rider needs my input! The full show results are on the USEF website - the score was decent and appropriate IMO. It was a very small class. But I repeat - congrats on a solid 4th level test with a mule!! (...And I was derided in the "woes" thread for suggesting talented non-WBs as potential CDI prospects?!)
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

What was the score?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

According to a comment in the video linked a 59.8% and a 61.57% for two tests ridden that day.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I wasn't aware of any restrictions to the kind of horse you can ride in dressage. Did someone tell you that no mules were allowed or something?

Paula
    Mules were not able to compete at recognized shows until 2004.

Cathy Wieschoff evented a mule at Prelim and was supposedly the reason for mules being banned from eventing as she beat quite a few horses. In 2008 a rule was submitted to allow mules to compete again but was not endorsed because mules could be a distraction to horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I have seen so many tests where a really pretty/fancy/extravagant mover scores in the 70s, even though the horse is bracing, mouth gaping, hind legs dragging in the dirt, nose way behind the vertical, and just full of tension. But those gaits!
    How is it that "hind legs dragging in the dirt" produce "those gaits!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Mules were not able to compete at recognized shows until 2004.

Cathy Wieschoff evented a mule at Prelim and was supposedly the reason for mules being banned from eventing as she beat quite a few horses. In 2008 a rule was submitted to allow mules to compete again but was not endorsed because mules could be a distraction to horses.

That's kind of sad. Thanks for the information.

Paula

I agree he showed some "mule-itude" during his changes. So darn cute though. Especially the ears! Quite an accomplishment.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    For those asking about his breeding, I did find this. He's out of:

Heart B Lonesome M—Irene’s Star

Taken from this CotH article last year:

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...-new-direction
    Irene's Star is a TB, but on the breeder's page which you can find by going to Heart B Ranch, in Emmett, Idaho, you will find they used a Jack way back who was a Morgan Cross, not sure of the other Jack or the current one. The broodmare's are the special TB Irene plus quarter and paint mares. Porter also was diagnosed with a neurological condition as a youngster, he tripped and fell down, quite a bit, this work seems to have strengthened him out of that problem. That in and of itself is amazing!

One thing I have been trying to years to find is something that was shown on some cable station or the other, regarding the Grand Prix jumpers through history who have had mule in their pedigree. A deep, dark secret, but if anyone has seen it and can somehow point the mule ears toward it, I would love to see. Someone needs to alert Fenwick Bartholomule to this page. He would probably be sore amazed and certainly his adoring friend would love it.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    So I don't disagree with you to a point, but I do think this goes both ways most of the time. I have seen so many tests where a really pretty/fancy/extravagant mover scores in the 70s, even though the horse is bracing, mouth gaping, hind legs dragging in the dirt, nose way behind the vertical, and just full of tension. But those gaits!
    How is it that "hind legs dragging in the dirt" produce "those gaits!"
    Rhetorical flourish, mainly.

I don't think any one is saying this is the next olympic gold medalist - the point I believe is that you can progress up through the levels on an animal that didn't cost you $60k - it is a demonstration of good training and riding well to do what you enjoy and improve the rideability, not of uber stylish dressage gaits or stupendous athletic ability for the elite levels of competition.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    you will find they used a Jack way back who was a Morgan Cross,.
    How can a jack be a Morgan cross....a donkey is a donkey.

8 members found this post helpful.

For a mule, he has good conformation. The rider is a nice rider and harmonious pair. The ride itself , underwhelmed.

I guess I am a snob...not about WB's but about mules. I just think they look strange doing dressage and don't see the point, but wish them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    One thing I have been trying to years to find is something that was shown on some cable station or the other, regarding the Grand Prix jumpers through history who have had mule in their pedigree. A deep, dark secret, but if anyone has seen it and can somehow point the mule ears toward it, I would love to see. Someone needs to alert Fenwick Bartholomule to this page. He would probably be sore amazed and certainly his adoring friend would love it.
    How could something have "mule in their pedigree"? Either they are a mule (which is a male donkey bred to a female horse), or it is NOT a mule. Mules are sterile - they can't be bred, so something can't be "part mule".