The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Who Needs an Upper Level Warmblood When You Can Have a Mule!

Heart B Porter Creek's debut at Fourth Level during the Mid Willamette Valley Chapter's Heart of the Valley Dressage Show in Oregon. And he won the class!

http://youtu.be/_guhCo17qnE
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

Lovely mule! Love those long expressive ears flicking back to listen to his rider.

I know, makes me laugh how all the 50 year old, 5'2" ammy riders on here that will never get past 2nd level all need 17hh FEI level horses to ride in circles.

32 members found this post helpful.

what a cutie!! He is so supple and soft

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I know, makes me laugh how all the 50 year old, 5'2" ammy riders on here that will never get past 2nd level all need 17hh FEI level horses to ride in circles.
    Do you feel better now that you were a complete jerk to whatever people will read your post and feel badly that they aren't past 2nd level yet? Did imagining THEM feeling bad because of your awesome zinger make you feel better?

There are a lot of people who go to the barn every day to ride despite the fact that they are older, don't have the best physique anymore and probably don't love how they look in breeches, and maybe have some fear to boot too -and yet still they come to the barn and take lessons to try to learn how to ride.

Don't make fun of them, they are braver than you who can show up without having to battle those odds and make your flippant little comments on the internet.

45 members found this post helpful.

Wtf are you blabbing about? I am a 43 year old traing level rider on a flippin pony for goodness sakes! I am that rider... I just don't think I need a big, fancy beast trained through the upper levels to cart my butt around. I am making fun of the attitude on this board when people ask about what horse they NEED, not any idividuals.

Geeze, take a red.

19 members found this post helpful.

I think Perfect Pony's point was that you don't need a fancy warmblood to do dressage! Love how soft and quiet the mule was.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

13 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely.

(Must just add that I am a 50+yo 5'2" ammy rider who wouldn't get up on a 17hh anything for all the tea in England! Give me fourteen and a half hands and I will happily ride in circles all day long or serpentines, or out on the trail ... )
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

7 members found this post helpful.

Wtf are you blabbing about? I am a 43 year old traing level rider on a flippin pony for goodness sakes! I am that rider... I just don't think I need a big, fancy beast trained through the upper levels to cart my butt around. I am making fun of the attitude on this board when people ask about what horse they NEED, not any idividuals.

Geeze, take a red.
    Oh, the old, "Let me just clarify who I was making fun of. I wasn't making fun of THIS group which holds X attitude, I was making fun of this OTHER group which holds Y attitude. That makes it ok!!"

As long as you make fun of the right kind of people it's fine, I guess.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I think Perfect Pony's point was that you don't need a fancy warmblood to do dressage! Love how soft and quiet the mule was.
    No, that was Mike's point.
    I have also several times stated that you don't need a fancy warmblood to do dressage.

These are different statement than actively making fun of people who DO want to buy fancy warmbloods, if they happen to like those.

4 members found this post helpful.

Nice ride and lovely mule. I rode one for a week on a ride in Missouri and he was fantastic.

Anyone have any idea what breed the "horse half" of this mule's parentage was?

What a good boy he is!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Default Whata beauty!

Having only experienced mules when I rode in the wagon full of sugar cane with my great-grandfather, wagon pulled by his 2 mules, and riding the slow mules that my great-uncle had, I was amazed on Coth to see mule racing, and of course mule dressage. (My great uncle's mules were pokey. I couldn't get them to canter.)

Obviously, Mike, you don't know the temperament of the WB, LOL. Sometimes the WB is stubborn as a mule re: ground manners. And we warmblood owners have to develop tough skins, anyway. People call our horses "dumbbloods" but then they want to go buy one cheap. (There's a Krazy Kother who did that about my boy, wanted to take Cloudy on the A circuit, when not allowed to, wanted to buy one just like him.) So tease WBs all you want to. Perfect bascule, floating trot, nasty ground manners, and all! However, I'd also like to have a mule like that one in the video. If I didn't already board 2 WBs.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Oh, the old, "Let me just clarify who I was making fun of. I wasn't making fun of THIS group which holds X attitude, I was making fun of this OTHER group which holds Y attitude. That makes it ok!!"

As long as you make fun of the right kind of people it's fine, I guess.
    I didn't take it that way, at all! I took it as "this is proof that an big FEI level horse is NOT necessary to be successful at any level of the sport!" Let's face it: there is a certain demographic who are convinced that all they need to do is spend the massive amounts of money they possess on a horse they don't need in order to win at the lower levels. That's not dressage specific, either. That's ALL breeds and ALL disciplines.
    Those same people are the ones who "make fun of" and are snappy with the snide remarks toward those who don't do the designer everything, are happy with their "cheap" horses (or mules!), and take time for themselves and their families. It's a two-way street!

Frankly, I look forward to riding Second Level...on any beast! Time off and aging bodies make it much more difficult...but also a lot more fun.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

13 members found this post helpful.

I'd like to know who the horse-half of that mix was.

And after the test we can all go out on a back-country trek. Those teeny, tiny, rock hard hooves can mince along the skinny edge of the scree in a straight line with perfect ease.

Or go and do the outback agility that I love to watch on You-Tube.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Fantastic mule! I love watching him and his rider progress, they are turning into quite a harmonious pair. Those ears just crack me up, who can resist them?

This is a rider who has clearly worked very hard with her mule to get him properly carrying himself.

One of my biggest peeves is riders who claim their horse is at fault when the rider is the one at fault. I don't know of anyone doing that on this board, but see it in real life all the time. I believe this is an example to show that it's not required you have a big fancy warmblood indeed - though I don't mind that I have a 3 year old warmblood with nice enough gaits to probably challenge me without the type of international gaits I would probably be unable to ride.

I did think the post in question seemed to be pointed at people in a pretty unkind way, but agree with the sentiments everyone has seemed to agree on since then.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

It looks like his rider has some extensive experience with mules, not just in dressage, but other facets as well. Per her website anyways! I love some of those pictures!

Porter also has his own Facebook page, for anybody who might be interested.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well the be perfectly honest, the only "unkind" sentiment that could be read into my post is the fact that there are so many overhorsed people out there practically torturing their horses every stride. That part does bother me. But again, it comes from the misguided notion that riding a big, fancy horse is some sort of requirement for real dressage.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Do you feel better now that you were a complete jerk to whatever people will read your post and feel badly that they aren't past 2nd level yet? Did imagining THEM feeling bad because of your awesome zinger make you feel better?

There are a lot of people who go to the barn every day to ride despite the fact that they are older, don't have the best physique anymore and probably don't love how they look in breeches, and maybe have some fear to boot too -and yet still they come to the barn and take lessons to try to learn how to ride.

Don't make fun of them, they are braver than you who can show up without having to battle those odds and make your flippant little comments on the internet.
    Dude, stop getting so butthurt on behalf of other people.

24 members found this post helpful.