The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding/Lessons in the New Bern, North Carolina Area???

I will be moving to New Bern soon and need a Barn! Online info is scarce...hoping someone may have some recommendations. Looking for English disciplines, H/J, Dressage, for boarding and lessons. Thanks!

Check out Cottonwood Farm!! My friend is one of the trainers there. Pm me if you want her number. They have a website out there too. Just google it!
    WWW.Willoughbystables.com

~Hand It Over ~ Rendition ~ Lyrik HF~ Iliaque ~ Munchkin ~ About Face ~ Coconut Creek ~ Callatos ~Cromwell ~ Ellis ~ Goodman ~ Zeven ~ Bastian ~ Nadia ~ Babette ~

I hauled an OTTB out of a farm there once...Turkey Quarter or something like that? The owner was a Clemson student and seemed very pleased with the services she received there. All the horses appeared well cared for and in good weight, etc. There was an arena, jumps, and trail IIRC. Other than her remarks and what I saw in the 1/2 hour we were there, I can't really give a recommendation but you may want to do a search for it.

Turkey Quarter sadly closed a couple of years ago, that's where I grew up riding. Cottonwood Farm, Rollover Downs, and Gables Run are the ones I know of now in New Bern, which is where I live.

edit: MH Gurganus is the dressage trainer I know for the area.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Quote Originally Posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
    Turkey Quarter sadly closed a couple of years ago, that's where I grew up riding. Cottonwood Farm, Rollover Downs, and Gables Run are the ones I know of now in New Bern, which is where I live.

edit: MH Gurganus is the dressage trainer I know for the area.
    Just happened by your post on the other Jacksonville thread. We are headed to New Bern in a few weeks - totally not horse related - love the coast but it is an equine vacuum. We toyed with the idea of moving to Harkers Island/Beaufort area but my kayak isn't my horse.

There wasn't much there when we lived there upper until 2006. I drove DD to Greenville to take lessons at a super nice farm about 45 minutes up route 17/43 past Vanceboro, but I don't think it is there as a lesson barn anymore. Big white barn with high end wood finishes inside and a small tack store, it was at the front of a nice subdivision and the barn building also had a ballroom/event space inside it. When we left they were tearing out the footing from the indoor and making it more enclosed event space. I can't remember the name of it, but I believe the instructors moved right across the street to a big blue barn. They had two white ponies for lessons, Dutch and Dakota, and a brown or bay horse named Zeus that I rode several times. Wish I could recall the farm name!
    We lived in Taberna at the time, and I do recall a little ways down 17 from Taberna they were building a new subdivision that was equine-oriented with a barn and ring in the middle but it wasn't done yet when we left.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Ahh....I do remember! Rock Springs Equestrian Center.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Hi There, Take a look at Moore Stables in Jacksonville on facebook and stop by to meet Annie and Connie when you come to town.

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    There wasn't much there when we lived there upper until 2006. I drove DD to Greenville to take lessons at a super nice farm about 45 minutes up route 17/43 past Vanceboro, but I don't think it is there as a lesson barn anymore. Big white barn with high end wood finishes inside and a small tack store, it was at the front of a nice subdivision and the barn building also had a ballroom/event space inside it. When we left they were tearing out the footing from the indoor and making it more enclosed event space. I can't remember the name of it, but I believe the instructors moved right across the street to a big blue barn. They had two white ponies for lessons, Dutch and Dakota, and a brown or bay horse named Zeus that I rode several times. Wish I could recall the farm name!
    We lived in Taberna at the time, and I do recall a little ways down 17 from Taberna they were building a new subdivision that was equine-oriented with a barn and ring in the middle but it wasn't done yet when we left.
    I lived in Taberna too!!! They FINALLY finished Gables Run (and that'd be 70, not 17) and opened it (of course, after I left for college, so past the point where I could have had my horse there and ridden my bike to him which would have been a dream).

OP, depending on where you will be living, there is also Jasmine Meadows ( https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jasmi...807304?fref=ts ) which I've never actually been to, but it looks nice and I've heard great things about it from other people.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions!! I will definitely be checking them out. I'm willing to drive a little bit, but not as far as Greenville or Jacksonville.... but the suggestions for the NB area are great.