The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've certainly been "run away with" at the walk on occasion, and my long time coach loves to tell the story of a horse he learned to ride on, and later taught people on...great school horse, but if you ONLY pulled on the inside rein to steer and didn't use outside aids, he would just walk back to the barn....no matter how hard you pulled on the inside or how far around his head was cranked. Guess that old guy taught more than a few people the meaning of "steer with your legs!"

1 members found this post helpful.

All I could think while looking at the pictures was "Oh no! Don't SLIP!" That surface looked pretty slippery. As someone who was BADLY injured when a misbehaving horse slipped on concrete while I was on him, I actually felt a little sick reading this and looking at the pictures.

It sounds like George just said "Ok, we'll try your idea." But to himself he said "It's not going to work out the way you think it will." So horse gets back to rotunda and finds out that answer didn't work and came back. Second time he surrendered to George's idea. Much better than fighting and having a big blow up.

Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    All I could think while looking at the pictures was "Oh no! Don't SLIP!" That surface looked pretty slippery. As someone who was BADLY injured when a misbehaving horse slipped on concrete while I was on him, I actually felt a little sick reading this and looking at the pictures.
    I was thinking the same thing... there's a reason why they don't build barns with decorative cobblestones anymore, I think. Very glad it all ended well.