The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You don't mess with George Morris

4 members found this post helpful.

Tough! Tough! Tough!

Next time they really should shut the gates.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Oh!! That's priceless!!

I wish someone had a video of it!

1 members found this post helpful.

That's awesome. I would pay good money to see a video of that.

I want to know how bad the runaway was, because it makes it sound like the horse just walked out of the ring and back to his barn and George wasn't able to turn him around. In which case I want to understand why he couldn't or wouldn't turn the horse in a circle and boot it back in the other direction.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I want to know how bad the runaway was, because it makes it sound like the horse just walked out of the ring and back to his barn and George wasn't able to turn him around. In which case I want to understand why he couldn't or wouldn't turn the horse in a circle and boot it back in the other direction.
    In the comments on the article, the horse's owner explains that the horse has some issues and becomes very defensive, very quickly. Apparently, direct and aggressive confrontation will make things dangerous, so gentle persistence is the name of the game. I rode a TB like that, you couldn't fight with him or get tough with him or things would deteriorate very quickly. An attitude of "No big deal, let's just try that again..." over and over, until he was tired of misbehaving, was the only way to work with him.

14 members found this post helpful.

From reading the text and looking at the pictures? That's exactly what he did, several times...although "booting" doesn't seem to have occurred. GM has legs of iron and would not need to resort to actually kicking. Just persistence and repetition even if he did get to the rotunda before getting any result.

If that horse was just walking and acting like a tank with no
    steering or brakes? Not much impulsion to redirect and gain an advantage- he made the horse want to do it his way instead of wrestling.

I do wonder if be returned it to the Liverpool or let that go.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

2 members found this post helpful.

I do love the part about the person running down from his office to ream out the rider in the rotunda- until he saw it was GM.

6 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    In the comments on the article, the horse's owner explains that the horse has some issues and becomes very defensive, very quickly. Apparently, direct and aggressive confrontation will make things dangerous, so gentle persistence is the name of the game. I rode a TB like that, you couldn't fight with him or get tough with him or things would deteriorate very quickly. An attitude of "No big deal, let's just try that again..." over and over, until he was tired of misbehaving, was the only way to work with him.
    I missed that in the commentary, so thanks for mentioning it. I had also wondered how this came to be and assumed there must have been some reason GM didn't lay down the law since leaving the ring in the face of adversity is not something I can see him getting on board with.

Handsome animal, though. And you can see throughout the photo progression the difference in his expression and carriage until he finally looked relaxed and on board with the program in the last one. Does anyone know the name of the critter? I'd love to look up some photos of him in action over fences.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I do love the part about the person running down from his office to ream out the rider in the rotunda- until he saw it was GM.
    And "adjusted" and said, "Hi, George."
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I'd love to look up some photos of him in action over fences.
    Did you check the daily recaps? There are photos/videos.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by patricia.dasilva View Post
    Thanks! I'd missed the more recent posts. Handsome animal!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by patricia.dasilva View Post
    Oof. It's too bad the weather is being so uncooperative this week. Those kids are probably getting lessons in proper bathing techniques along with the riding lessons.

I have no problem envisioning that this might have been the situation, and will say that even if the horse decided to simply walk off and George couldn't stop him, I would believe it.

Similar or exact same thing happened to me as a teen - the ring I was in was sand and had no actual fence with a gate, only perimeter blocks; I was also on a green as grass, not-the-brightest-tool-in-the-box Draft X who decided that he was done learning about giving to heel pressure and wanted back to his stall. That gelding WALKED back up the incline to the barn with his head pulled to my boot as I tried to turn him back to the ring. Not surprisingly, he seemed mighty perturbed when I insisted we go right back down the hill once we reached the barn entrance.

Another story - young dumb WB cross gelding was in the grooming bay nex to mine and decided he wanted to leave. Simply walked forward, broke the cross-ties and went back to his stall. The 'trainer' came running up and asked what had spooked him. I said nothing, he just got bored standing there and said he'd come back tomorrow

Moral of these stories - when a horse REALLY decides to do something, whether at a walk or gallop, they'll do it. End of. It's then the rider's responsibility to be smarter than the equine and show them the error of their thinking without causing a big 'ol scene
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

5 members found this post helpful.

All I know is if I'd been there, my jaw would have been on the GROUND.

Seriously, what a lesson for all present. "Riding 101: How to Teach A Horse That It WILL Do As You Say, Without Fireworks or Violence."

Those are funny stories, Schune .

Yeah, sometimes they remember how big they really are and calmly decide that they really DON'T have to do what we want afterall. That big frontal lobe really IS our only advantage.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Yeah, the owner actually says the horse's problem with in gates is why she has him - probably too talented to have been an option otherwise, given the raving George had about the horse's jump!

As the owner of a horse who has emotional baggage, I can totally see why calm patience was the way to go.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Schune View Post
    Moral of these stories - when a horse REALLY decides to do something, whether at a walk or gallop, they'll do it. End of. It's then the rider's responsibility to be smarter than the equine and show them the error of their thinking without causing a big 'ol scene

yep!

That is a GM classic to be filed away.

That is why I love man. He knows just how to handle every horse instinctively. My other horse hero would do the same thing, just keep repeating the message. Some horses just put up a fight and the behaviour gets ingrained. The grey sure looked relaxed and humble on his return.

That is why whenever there is a negative GM thread I jump to his defence - like he needs me to defend him!

And he still will jump on any horse and they still come around once the master is on their back. I understand he goes to the gym every day wherever he is. I, too, wish he would be a bit more careful....
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique