The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Very upset! Cough and snott, and nothing being done!

I am very upset at how a health situation is being handled at the facility where I board. This facility is primarily a breeding facility with a couple of boarders.

About 3 weeks ago one of their horses showed up with a cough. She had swollen lymph nodes under her chin, but no fever. My trainer, who basically is the person who makes the decisions for the BO's horses asked me what I though he should do and I obviously told him to take the horse's fever and call the vet. The horse had a normal temp. Vet told him not to worry.

Two days later the horse was much worse with lots of nose discharge and he called the vet again. Over the phone, the vet prescribed some antibiotics. The vet never went to see the horse. By then the other 4 horses stalled near the mare also had coughs.

None of them is completely ok, and they have been on penicilin and anti-inflammatory for 10 days now.

None of this is my concern so I just asked the grooms to be extra careful not to mix the infected horse's stuff with my mare's.

Today she coughed a bit while we were schooling and by the end of the session she had a bit of white nose discharge on her nose.

I am very upset as I feel this situation is not being handled correctly, and I know I'll have to call the vet on Monday to get this properly under control... the last thing I needed now is a vet bill, specially when I feel this is the vet/BO's responsibility for letting it get this far!

Still no fevers? The antibiotics seem odd. I dislike overuse of antibiotics for what sounds like a cold.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

3 members found this post helpful.

I dislike over-the-phone vets even more.

I am not a person to exaggerate and go calling the vet for every minor thing, but since so many horses are getting sick, I think its the BO's responsibility to address the situation promptly, not let it spread!

1 members found this post helpful.

Number 1, I would be very upset that something is running through a barn and the Vet has not been out to see what it is!

Number 2, I would not start giving antibiotics, until the Vet had seen what was going on and taken a culture. Someone needs to figure out if it is viral or bacterial.

Number 3, Did anybody mention Strangles?

If this is a breeding facility, are they not worried about Rhino, which can cause abortion in broodmares?

Why is your trainer asking you? Does he not have enough background with horses to know to insist on having the Vet come out when there is something running through a broodmare barn? JMHO!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Auburn, completely agree with points one and two!!!

Nobody mentioned strangles but it is on the back of my mind, and the reason why I'm calling the vet on Monday.

The trainer asked me because he knows I am an animal engineer so have some education on animal health. But yep, this is clearly something for a vet to handle in person.

I think this is a risk you run at breeding farms. With horses coming and going, and especially young horses, these types of bugs will crop up. Whatever it is, is sounds fairly mild and will probably just run its course. Your horse may pick it up. That's life. Yes, they could probably practice better biosecurity, but if they really aren't into boarding, you may just have to deal with how all the rest of the horses get handled.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Why would you wait to call the vet until Monday?

2 members found this post helpful.

Vet is out of the Country until Sunday at a CDI, and I really don't want to call anyone else.

So if you don't want to call the vet until Monday, you must not be overly concerned. Why the drama?

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    So if you don't want to call the vet until Monday, you must not be overly concerned. Why the drama?
    Because the BO / Trainer should have called the vet to come out and assess the sick horses earlier, not a phone consult. The sickness is speading and that may have been prevented if proper QT protocol had been followed.

Since the issue with OPs horse is not really an 'emergency', I can see waiting until Monday for her vet to come out and see the horse.

If it has gone on for 3 weeks, why the excitement now? No fevers, antibiotics prescribed. If it were MY horse and I were so concerned, I would not be waiting four days to call the vet or for the BO/ trainer to call. If you are the owner, the horse is your responsibility.

It seems to me you are always very upset about something at this barn. Maybe this isn't the best match for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    It seems to me you are always very upset about something at this barn. Maybe this isn't the best match for you.
    I'm pretty sure this might be barn #2 or even #3. The high drama seems to keep cropping up everywhere . . .
    Click here before you buy.

In my opinion, people tend to way overreact to colds. The vast majority of them are viruses and you just have to let them run their course. I have never gone to the doctor for a cold, nor do I ever take my kiddos in for a cold. I have only called the vet once for cold symptoms in a horse and it was more his high temp than his cold symptoms.

2 members found this post helpful.

Most colds etc move through a barn regardless if the vet is called in or not ... by all means, call the vet in for your horse, but if another owner chooses to do phone consults, that is really their business.
    I assume the other horses are getting better not - if not, then I agree you have cause for concern.

OP, I would look at it this way: if your kid was in school and there were a few kids being sent to class with snotty noses and coughs, you'd be peeved that their parents didn't keep them home, but (I hope) you wouldn't demand that the whole class be sent to the hospital and put on medication.
    Try to relax
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

If it is just a cold antibiotics probably won't help, probably not much the vet can do it just takes time. If strangles were a concern I would probably have my vet out right away.