The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ticks

We moved about a month and half ago. The new pastures appear to be loaded with ticks which is something I'm not use to dealing with. The fly sprays do not seem to be working. Are there any good tick repellents on the market for horses? We seem to be dealing with dog ticks.
    Thanx in advance.
    Amy
    The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire. ~Sharon Ralls Lemon

Try some Guinea hens. They love ticks and grown ones make great farm alarms. They will naturally nest in trees. They can be noisy but let them work and then pass them on to a new spot. Good luck

A little bit of garlic added to their feed goes a long way. My boys rarely have ticks on them while their pasture mates do.

My vet swears by frontline spray but it's been a little expensive for me. I've been using permethrin sprays with some success, and I just purchased one with cypermethrin as well. With these sprays, I find that ticks superficially embed but they are dead when I come to pick them off (daily). I spray all along the ventral side of the horse and the legs. I'm in NC and I've pulled off mainly Lone Star Ticks, deer ticks, and the occasional dog tick.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Where do you get Frontline spray? And can I spray it on my clothing? I wonder if it would work better than Deep Woods Off.

I have had decent luck with Freedom 45, which is a spot-on for horses. Some horses will have a reaction to it, but I haven't had a problem yet. It only kills ticks for two weeks though, and other critters for four.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post
    Where do you get Frontline spray? And can I spray it on my clothing? I wonder if it would work better than Deep Woods Off.
    You can order it online (just google it) and I think big pet stores like petco carry it.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by cloudy18 View Post

I have had decent luck with Freedom 45, which is a spot-on for horses. Some horses will have a reaction to it, but I haven't had a problem yet. It only kills ticks for two weeks though, and other critters for four.
    Valley Vet carries it. It's a little more expensive but a little goes a long way. I've used it and was able to brush dead ticks off my horse with my hand.

I don't know about spraying it on clothes but I did spray some on my boots and half chaps when I knew I'd be walking in an area with lots of ticks. I didn't find any on myself.

1 members found this post helpful.

One of our boarders uses frontline (for dogs). I would contact a vet first, but she has not had a problem with them when other horses have.
    I had to deal with a situation just last week with ticks getting in a horse's ear. Ticks breath through their skin, so you can pour (small amounts) mineral oil (MTG has mineral oil as an ingredient) into their ear which coats the skin and makes the tick release. Just last week I had a very large horse get them terribly in his ears, the MTG worked in a day. Obviously the quicker route would have been to get them out myself, but it's easier to avoid a fight with an already sore horse, and my slim 5'4'' chance of getting in a 17h horse's ear wasn't looking good anyways, this was really easy. The next day horse was completely fine with no ticks since.
    (In case you get into this scenario)

I've used Frontline spray (yes, order online) with success. I would spray every 2 - 3 weeks, wherever ticks like to attach (up near sheath, chest etc) and on the legs. It works really well. Now, however I've switched my fly spray over to a permethrin based one, and I've noticed I don't need to use the Frontline. Occasionally spraying with the permethrin based spray keeps the ticks off as well.

I would not spray your own clothes with Frontline. You can spray them with OFF (or any spray with DEET). Or you can buy clothing already treated with permethrin (what I use when I'm feeding twice a day). (Or, you can treat your own clothes with permethrin. Cheaper, but a pain and doesn't last as long).

Ditto on frontline.

Also keep things very well mowed. Mow mow mow.

Quote Originally Posted by ccr0009 View Post
    One of our boarders uses frontline (for dogs). I would contact a vet first, but she has not had a problem with them when other horses have.
    I had to deal with a situation just last week with ticks getting in a horse's ear. Ticks breath through their skin, so you can pour (small amounts) mineral oil (MTG has mineral oil as an ingredient) into their ear which coats the skin and makes the tick release. Just last week I had a very large horse get them terribly in his ears, the MTG worked in a day. Obviously the quicker route would have been to get them out myself, but it's easier to avoid a fight with an already sore horse, and my slim 5'4'' chance of getting in a 17h horse's ear wasn't looking good anyways, this was really easy. The next day horse was completely fine with no ticks since.
    (In case you get into this scenario)
    You do NOT want to coat an embedded tick with anything. It will cause it to regurgitate and it sounds like you're in Lyme central.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

you can put DEET on their legs, too, to help repel ticks trying to climb aboard.
    Frontline won't repel ticks but will kill them once they get on.

Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    A little bit of garlic added to their feed goes a long way. My boys rarely have ticks on them while their pasture mates do.
    I tried a garlic based feed thru suppy this year and I must agree, it works pretty good. I am in tick central and normally pull 3-4 ticks a day off my horses this time of year, and they get large welts from the bite.

This year, I'm still pulling ticks, but its one or two every other day and no more large welts.

Ticks on me? Thats another story. Every time I groom my horses I most assuredly have one crawling up my arm. I know the ticks are out there in numbers, they're just not attaching themselves to my horses like they used to.

I've been using Animed's Buglyte.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

My vet recommended something that has turned up on the equine practitioners website--the fly repellent ear tags used on cattle--braided into the mane. It's worth a try.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Ultrashield in the black bottle. Permethrin kills them.

That black bottle of Ultrashield is the only spray that is worth anything! I love it and haven't found a tick on either of my boys this year.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

I use Farnam's Bite Free. It's pricy, but it's the only spray that works for us here (bug central New England). It repels AND kills all biting insects including ticks. To deter ticks I spray it on my mare's legs when we go trail riding or hunter pacing. This is the time of year I'm actually happy she's turned out in a (big) dry paddock. I hate ticks. I pulled one off my scalp the other day. Ack.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I have had good luck with sprays that contain good levels of permethrin (or you can do like I do, and buy permethrin concentrate to add to spray).

http://www.revivalanimal.com/Permectrin-10.html

It is cheap, and effective - just do not spray around cats. I am sure to wash my hands when I return to my cats at home after being at the barn.

I guess I am cheap, but I use Deep Woods Off with great success. I spray on the lower legs, along the dock area, rub underneath jaws and up inside legs by sheath area. I have found at the most 2 ticks, that were dead. No issues w/ reactions at all.