The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boots to protect rear ankles

HI all,
    I am new here. I just started long lining my 3 year old and, because of my constant view of her back end, have become painfully aware of the way her back end travels. Her legs are straight, but she almost hits her other ankle every time she takes a step. Does anybody know what type of boot to get to protect her? I am eyeballing these

http://www.horse.com/item/tough-1-ve...-rear/E003815/

Not sure if they are what I need, or if maybe just polo wraps would work? Should I add on bell boots so she doesn't clip herself?

Thank you for any insight or advice.

My Ottb is narrow behind ( a "rope walker" according to my farrier) and hits herself in the back when the footing is iffy and/or she's due for a trim. She can whack herself so hard that, when she doesn't wear boots, she'll stop and raise her hind leg up as if it were broken, then hop for a couple strides, then go on as if nothing happened. (it's a good thing that dressage arenas usually have very good footing!)

I've tried many ankle boots and these are the sturdiest, in my experience.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/weather...ts/p/X1-04257/

Otherwise, I just put galloping / brushing boots on her back legs as well.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

1 members found this post helpful.

I like the Eskadron hind boots--simple, very durable, no-fuss straps. And not more than you need. I'd just want to protect the area where most bangs take place, not the entire cannon and fetlock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	38242  
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    My Ottb is narrow behind ( a "rope walker" according to my farrier) and hits herself in the back when the footing is iffy and/or she's due for a trim. She can whack herself so hard that, when she doesn't wear boots, she'll stop and raise her hind leg up as if it were broken, then hop for a couple strides, then go on as if nothing happened. (it's a good thing that dressage arenas usually have very good footing!)

I've tried many ankle boots and these are the sturdiest, in my experience.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/weather...ts/p/X1-04257/

Otherwise, I just put galloping / brushing boots on her back legs as well.
    Ooh I like those boots.

Now that you mention it she could use a trim in the rear, last time the farrier was out she said the rear looked ok and left them but they are a bit long now. Plus I braided her tail this week and put it in a bag so her back legs are really visible all of a sudden.

My TB tightrope walks behind as well. I keep him in Eskadron hinds under saddle. They're my favorites because they're so easy to put on/off and they clean up easily as well.

Because...
    *I have a horse that interferes behind.
    *Horse is at home and I'm the only one that sees him.
    *I'm really frugal

I got a few pairs of these and they work just fine.
    http://www.horze.com/Horze-Protectiv..._US,pd.html#BL
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Go'damn, it's fetlocks! The equivalent to our ankle is the hock.

Anyway. Any kind of hard fetlock boot should be fine. Polos alone won't provide enough protection. You sure you don't want to put brushing boots on her in case she strikes higher since you know she brushes? Bell boots won't do anything unless she's brushing really low (she would have to be dragging her toes?).

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post

I got a few pairs of these and they work just fine.
    http://www.horze.com/Horze-Protectiv..._US,pd.html#BL
    I like those too! Great price. I might get a pair, since my horse's second pair (gel boots - not very sturdy) died a week ago and I like to have an spare pair. Thanks!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Is she hitting the fetlock or below on the pasterns?
    There are cheap, easy pastern boots out there if she is hitting below the fetlock. My mare didn't hit the joint but regularly clocked herself below and none of the standard fetlock/ galloping boots helped, but something like these did http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/To...FYKd4AoddG4AqA
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

My guy interferes behind as well - like the horze boots and also have Roma boots (very similar to the horze boots). Have tried others, but don't like too thick a boot.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I have been using roma ankle boots for 6 years...maybe on my 3rd or 4ty pair now. My horse I ridden and is turned out in them, it makes life much easier. They are also really inexpensive.

I have some Roma tendon boots because mine does this as well. She'll tear the under side of her fetlock UP when she's wearing shoes and not booted. She has a little callous on each one. Regular fetlock boots didn't come down far enough, because she hits herself on the in / under side, almost on the pastern.

Mine look like these, but I think the Roma ones are discontinued. I bought several pairs on clearance. They worked well, but they don't have strike pads, so they tear up pretty fast: http://media.robinsonsequestrian.com...125-R006_2.jpg
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

OK "fetlock", but I ordered her a pair of the Eskadron Hind "Ankle" Boots. I found them on ebay for $44/free ship. I will probably be getting her a cheapo pair too because I am very frugal and I will compare the two.

bambam I have not seen her actually hit herself yet, I just noticed she very nearly kicks herself right where the fetlock is largest. I have been doing a lot of lunging getting her ready to ride and I have never found any marks on her hind legs/feet. I don't *think* she is actually hitting herself, but it is really close.

I will try to take a video today but with both hands holding lines not sure how it will come out